Fuzzy Search?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 805
PL | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 23 2012 2:40 PM

One of my favorite features from L3 that was dropped in L4 was Fuzzy Search.  You were able to type in approximate words from a Bible verse in approximate word order and L3 would find possible matches for you.  It was a great tool for those of us who are rusty in our scripture memorization, especially given the many different English translations.

With the many new tools and semantic tagging dataset in L5, is there now a way to recover this Fuzzy Search capability?

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 16723
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 2:52 PM

PL:

With the many new tools and semantic tagging dataset in L5, is there now a way to recover this Fuzzy Search capability?

You can use wildcards with spaces (=AND)  e.g.  care* youwork salvation,  etc.

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 2159
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 7:59 PM

Fuzzy search is one example of where Logos has gone backwards.  Overall, the program has made great strides.  But searching is really not one of them.  

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 6667
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 9:30 PM

I think searching has gone a long way forward since L3. We gained morph and syntax searching, and many more fields to search in L4. Add to the analysis view. In L5 we have gained clause searches. We also can highlight text through visual filters created from searches. And the indexing has made searching much faster. Now in L5 we have suggested searches which help new users get more out of the search engine.

Besides fuzzy searching (which I never used) what else have we lost?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1188
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2012 9:57 PM

Mark Smith:

Case() within the search string was useful. E.g. I could find verses that contained a word (regardless of its case) and Spirit (upper-case S).

Posts 3150
Forum MVP
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 3:57 AM

Allen Browne:

Mark Smith:

Case() within the search string was useful. E.g. I could find verses that contained a word (regardless of its case) and Spirit (upper-case S).

This capability exists in Logos 4 and 5, it works on the whole search string not a subset. See picture:

Posts 1188
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:53 AM

Dominick Sela:
Allen Browne:

This capability exists in Logos 4 and 5, it works on the whole search string not a subset.

Yep: that's the problem. We can no longer choose Case() on part of the string.

Posts 31
Geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:11 PM

I agree with the original poster. I miss fuzzy search. It was great to throw in crazy terms of a verse that you know you do not remember correctly and watch Logos work its magic and turn it into something useful. I did not use it often but sometimes, for the life of me, I cannot get enough of the right words together to perform a proper search with useful results and that is when, like right now, I start looking for fuzzy search. It never ceased to amaze me the crazy results it would bring up and even how far off I was from the verse but it almost always brought up what I was looking for. Please bring it back.

Posts 805
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:18 PM

Yes, it was especially useful for those of us whose first Bible was a non-English Bible.  I would be searching based on my own translation of a Bible term into English, only to find that most English Bibles use a totally different term or way to translate it.

Please bring Fuzzy Search back.

Peter

Posts 285
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 3:42 PM

PL:
Please bring Fuzzy Search back

Yes! This is one reason I still have L3 loaded. While I can kind of duplicate many things, fuzzy search was so valuable when I knew part of a verse but didn't remember where it was, etc, etc. But then sometimes I had to leave to get another coffee, because it took so long Big Smile... maybe in L5 they could speed it up?

Posts 112
T MacLeod | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 3:59 PM

I've had a few instances where I would have liked to have Fuzzy Search again, so I would welcome its return.

Posts 76
Christopher Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 8:50 PM

I never used version 3 but I wish some kind of fuzzy and even AI search was possible, not just for the Bible, but for any resource.  This is important when I want to find a "concept" not specific words (because I do not know the exact words or the word order).

Posts 1241
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 10:39 PM

Bring this back please. Yes

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS