No results in Bible facts when there should be?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 26 2012 5:22 PM

Tried to search Domitian in bible facts, received no results. Searched it in regular search engine, and was able to get results. Any thoughts?

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:02 PM

Domitian is never referred to in the Bible so he is not a Bible Fact (Person). The Caesar that is associated with Paul's Roman imprisonment is Nero so is a Bible Fact (Person) even though never mentioned by name.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:23 PM

But, (if) Revelation was written under the dominion of Domitian, and John was sent to Patmos  (where he wrote the book of Revelation) by Domitian, then even though he is not mentioned in by name in the bible he should be in bible facts like Nero, at least that is my opinion. I understand your point though.

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:45 PM

The trouble is there are four possible Caesars suggested for the Caesar of Revelation. Nero is one, Domitian is one, so is Trajan. So that one is pretty much up in the air compared to the Caesar of Paul's imprisonment which (regardless of exactly when the imprisonment happened) was certainly Nero.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:48 PM

The best thing to do is put them all in there, that way there is no bias Wink

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:50 PM

Blair Laird:

Or leave them all out. At least that is what Logos thought was the best thing to do. I do, too. Let Bible Facts be Bible facts not Bible possibilities.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3003
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 5:14 AM

Mark Smith:

Blair Laird:

Or leave them all out. At least that is what Logos thought was the best thing to do. I do, too. Let Bible Facts be Bible facts not Bible possibilities.

Agreed, especially for those of us using the software in the world of Academia.  I don't want to see possibilities listed as facts, however it can be made mention to and that is why they are within various resources.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 6:02 PM

The thing is logos has already made decisions for you, for example take a look at your timeline.

So why not have it show the early date, middle date late date? Why would you want to to show no date? I did not purchase logos to receive less information. I purchased logos so that I could learn more, I want to know where the disagreements are, and I want to make the decisions myself.

David Taylor Jr:
 I don't want to see possibilities listed as facts, however it can be made mention to and that is why they are within various resources.

I agree with your sentiment Mr. Taylor

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 6:02 PM

The thing is logos has already made decisions for you, for example take a look at your timeline.

So why not have it show the early date, middle date late date? Why would you want to to show no date? I did not purchase logos to receive less information. I purchased logos so that I could learn more, I want to know where the disagreements are, and I want to make the decisions myself.

David Taylor Jr:
 I don't want to see possibilities listed as facts, however it can be made mention to and that is why they are within various resources.

I agree with your sentiment Mr. Taylor

Posts 26303
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:02 PM

Blair Laird:
So why not have it show the early date, middle date late date?

Often they do - and they link to the source of a particular date.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

Blair Laird:

It's important to note that the dates in the timeline are not Logos editorial decisions. All the dates are culled from books in the library. (Not necessarily your specific library, but the overall library of resources available in Logos format.)

If you click the event, you will see links to any books in your library that provide this particular dating. Unfortunately, if you don't own those books, we currently show nothing (making it appear as if this is a Logos editorial decision). We're working on ways of making this clearer in a future update.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS