New Feature in Logos 5: Popular Highlights

Page 1 of 9 (171 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 170 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2
LogosEmployee
Ben Torell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:30 PM

We are introducing a new feature to Logos 5 that allows you to see text that has been highlighted by many users. Once this feature is deployed, popular phrases in non-Bibles will be shown with a light, dashed underline.

Popular Highlights is a Visual Filter, so you can toggle it in the Visual Filters menu of each resource. The filter will only appear in the list of filters if Popular Highlights are available for that resource.  If you want to disable popular highlights for all resources, you can right-click on the Popular Highlights Visual Filter and select “Do not show in any resources.”

If you are already running Logos 5.0a, you don’t need to do anything in order to start using this feature. However, Popular Highlights will not show up for resources that you have already opened during the current session. To see highlights for these resources, restart the application.

Logos Bible Software

Software Developer

Posts 62
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:43 PM

Hi Ben

I don't have L5 yet, but I will have it in a few days.

But I do have a question. How about having a display of all the highlights I've made in my books. For example, If I have accessed 100 books and I have highlighted at least 100 lines in every book, and I wanted to search all my highlights, well that would be 10,000 highlights. Is there a way to search all my highlights without having to open up the books or any favorites or any layouts? Having to open these slows down the research. Why not have a database of all highlights? And even the different colors be separated? Anything like this in the future for user?

Thanks.

Al Sosa

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:56 PM

I believe you can accomplish that with our existing search functionality. Check out http://blog.logos.com/2011/12/logos-4-search-highlighting-styles/ for details.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 62
Al Sosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:35 PM

Hi Dave,

I went to the site and followed the instructions, but somehow I do not see the display in my computer as the instruction says. For example, I do not see the "highlighting palette such as Highlighter Pens" anywhere in my display. I'm sorry but it does not work as stated in the instruction. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Either way, I did try the search and it did not work. I did open the book and do have two hightlighting in yellow. This is what I see in my display:

I type the name of the book as stated in the instructions
         I get the following display: 
           After Clicking "All Text" I get the following display:
              "Search Field"
              "Solid Color"
              "Emphasis Markup" - I then clicked solid color and chose 'yellow'
I then hit Enter and got '0' zero entries. . .  yet my book was open and it was highlighted in two places. Honestly,too many moving parts. . . :-)

However, in my question of the function, I want to be able to do this search without opening the book. I want to be able to see 'all' my highlightings in whatever color I choose in whatever books I have. Imagine having to open up 100 books just to seek highlighting references. I would like to see research results showing highlighting and the link of the book it is found so that I can just click on the highlight and open the book, if I want to. The steps in the instruction numbered in ten steps. I am thinking of only four steps!
1. Click open highlighting tab (assuming one such exists) No books need to be open.
2. Search by author. . . or by color. . . or by topic. . . or other criteria
3. Click research button. . .
4. Read results. . . Then if even print results so that I can have them for later use. Or even save such a search for future use. . .

Thank you. . .

Blessings. . .

Eis Cristos

Al Sosa

Posts 3150
Forum MVP
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:09 PM

I am glad it can be turned off as well, but I kind of like the feature - for certain books I will be interested in what others are highlighting in it.

One question - how do my highlights get added to the community? Or do they all, automatically? Can I control this, whether they get added to the community aggregation or not?

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:18 PM

Dominick Sela:

I am glad it can be turned off as well, but I kind of like the feature - for certain books I will be interested in what others are highlighting in it.

One question - how do my highlights get added to the community? Or do they all, automatically? Can I control this, whether they get added to the community aggregation or not?

Currently, we analyze all ranges marked by Notes & Highlights, but we don't include a text range in the popular highlights data set unless it has been marked by a certain minimum number of users. (so if you're the only one who has highlights in a resource, they'll never be included)

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 681
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:52 PM

Can the transmission of personal highlighting data to Logos be disabled in the setup?

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 6:53 PM

If you set "Use Internet" to "no" in the Program Settings, you will not transmit any information to us.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 767
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 7:04 PM

Will these be available in Bibles (ex. ESV) soon?  I saw they are not avail yet.

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 7:19 PM

We have chosen not to offer the feature for Bibles at this time.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 7:33 PM

I was about to compose a post asking what is this grayed out highlights feature, but see it is explained very well here.

Thanks Smile

Posts 1148
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:42 PM

Ben Torell:
a new feature to Logos 5 that allows you to see text that has been highlighted by many users

Ah, thanks!

I like both the fact that it's available, and that we can turn it off (visual filter) if needed.

Well thought out feature.

Posts 2365
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 9:49 PM

Ben Torell:

Ben given the userbase #, what is the threshold that triggers this appearing, as 17/300000 doent seem "Popular" to me

Thanks it will be interesting to observe

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 1014
LogosEmployee
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:19 PM
"Popular" is relative to the number of highlights made in the book itself. It varies from resource to resource, although we do have an absolute minimum threshold in place.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Logos Bible Software

Posts 609
DBailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:48 PM

Ben Torell:

If you want to disable popular highlights for all resources, you can right-click on the Popular Highlights Visual Filter and select “Do not show in any resources.”

Cool! I like the ability to turn this filter off for all resources.  However, should not this system wide configuration change be placed in the Program Settings?

David

Posts 264
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:49 PM

That is really cool. I love how kindle does this. 

Posts 2365
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 10:50 PM

so "community highlighting" might be a better name for it - ok thanks

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2945
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:30 AM

David Mitchell:

If you set "Use Internet" to "no" in the Program Settings, you will not transmit any information to us.

But we must turn on the internet to get updates and such.  When we turn on the internet to get updates, does l5 send our data concerning this feature to your servers?

Posts 8152
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:05 AM

David Mitchell:

Are you saying that even if we have Send Feedback set to None, you're taking our data anyway???

I asked this same question about Community Tags and Ratings earlier, but received no reply. This time I want one!

(And, no, we can't set Use Internet to No. You've designed the program so as to make it virtually unusable without internet.)

Al,

please start a new thread with your question, and people will help you. Putting it in the middle of a thread on something completely different just makes the thread highly confusing for everyone, plus your issue is likely to get lost.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 7480
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:07 AM

A Logos version of this would be fascinating! https://kindle.amazon.com/most_popular

Page 1 of 9 (171 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS