I need some assistance wth this---Part 2

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 455
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:24 AM

Here is an illustration for you of something that I need help with.....

I am currently preaching a series through Philippians and I came across the Greek word "πείθω", so I was interested in how this word, as the root,  was used in all of Paul's letters. So, I created a search parameter that just includes Pauls letter. And I received 46 results. But one of the things that I noticed was that the root "πείθω" is also where the word "ἀπειθής" comes in Romans 1:30 that is translated "disobedient".

In fact, about 11 times of the 46 times that "πείθω" is the root in Paul's letters, the translation is "disobedient", "disobey", etc.

Can someone explain to me this significance? And any suggesstion on how you might use this in your preaching? I am trying to figure out the root of words in L5.

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 305
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:45 AM

The TDNT defines πειθω as having to do with persuasion.
A person who is persuaded will obey, one who is not, will not.

Opinion: Hebrews 13: "Obey your leaders" is the translation of  Πείθεσθε, which is another way to say, "Be easily persuaded."
It's all about leadership by attraction.

Posts 6679
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:02 PM

Michael, I don't know if there is anything profound here.

BDAG tells us the the root meaning of πείθω is persuade or cause someone to be convinced. In the active the basic meaning holds with one modification: in the perfect and pluperfect the meaning is to be convinced so one trusts or puts confidence in something. Philippians 1:6 is an example of this later use.

In the passive and middle, the word means to be won over as a result of persuasion (except in the passive perfect where it means to attain certainty or be convinced).

It is in the passive where BDAG indicates the word can mean obey (Romans 2:8, Galatians 5:7). So ἀπειθέω would mean disobey quite naturally, and BDAG indicates that is its primary meaning.

I guess the idea is that if I am convinced, I will do something (obey), but if I am not convinced I won't (disobey). The only other Greek word translated disobedient in the NASB95 is παρακοή which carries the idea of not being willing to listen.

We could read too much into this. ἀπειθέω is the normal Greek word for disobedience in the NT.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5100
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:04 PM

Pastor Michael Huffman:
But one of the things that I noticed was that the root "πείθω" is also where the word "ἀπειθής" comes in Romans 1:30 that is translated "disobedient".

Like in English the prefix "a" (or "an") at the beginning of a word often means the opposite of the word (not always true, BTW). A few examples in English: asynchronous, anhydrous, asymmetric. The root is the same, but the negative prefix turns it into an opposite.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 455
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:20 PM

Thanks....know there is nothing profound about the word meaning, I have a minor in ancient Biblical langages....I was trying to figure if I were reading not too much into the word meaning...but reading correctly what the root section is about. Also if anyone can give some tips on the Bible Sense Lexicon would be nice...Thanks. 

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 5100
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:23 PM

Pastor Michael Huffman:

Thanks....know there is nothing profound about the word meaning, I have a minor in ancient Biblical langages....I was trying to figure if I were reading not too much into the word meaning...but reading correctly what the root section is about. Also if anyone can give some tips on the Bible Sense Lexicon would be nice...Thanks. 

I have not yet found the BSL to yield any genuine fruit. I'd also be interested in ways to use it productively.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS