Another Option for Keeping Spam Down.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 9 2012 6:09 AM

Step 1. Institute a captcha for all new members to prevent robots from making spam (most likely the new members that have only 4 posts, all four of them advertising some other site or produce are in this category).

Step 2. Track our IP's - when it changes, challenge us with a Captcha. This means most of us will have to solve a captcha once a week or so (some as often as 1x in 24 hours). If you wanted to be really sophisticated, track our IPs by region - if I always log in from NC and Florida (and I do, as I live between both states), and suddenly, my account is logged in from korea, you know that something is up and it's captcha time. This would help some of the existing members who seem to have had their accounts compromised (only a few...)

Assuming you wrote your own forum software, the originators of Captcha (Completely Automated Public Turing Test To Tell Computers and Humans Apart) can - along with their free software - be found at captcha.net .

Thank you for your time, and sorry for going off topic.

Ken

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2497
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 6:20 AM

I think it is on topic - There is one site that I drop in on every day or so that could use a captcha test for all posts.  The spammers on that site have 90,000 posts each while the members are all under 150 or so.   

Posts 812
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:34 AM

Here are some more suggestions:

1) With a purchase, somebody gets an approved Logos Forum account and can immediately post there.

2) Without a purchase, the first 5 posts will not be posted immediately but have to be approved by a moderator.

Armin

Posts 502
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 9:34 AM

Armin:

1) With a purchase, somebody gets an approved Logos Forum account and can immediately post there.

2) Without a purchase, the first 5 posts will not be posted immediately but have to be approved by a moderator.

Armin

I agree Armin.  It is not likely that very many sincere individuals would be asking questions about Logos if they have not purchased any products.  In that case they should call customer support who can answer their questions and suggest the products that meet their needs.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:44 AM

Armin:

Armin

I'm not sure about "the first 5 posts", but otherwise this seems like a good suggestion.  The poster must first (1 or 2 posts) be  authenticated as one who will address the concerns of the forum before being allowed to post freely.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9152
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:47 AM

I am in favour of doing something like Amin is suggesting. Spam is always annoying but there seems to be even more of it lately.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:32 AM

Armin's idea is a good one.

But consider with me a moment another angle.

Imagine you are a recent purchaser of the software, and you are having a glitch. You've never posted to the forum before.

You have a sermon coming up on sunday, or a paper, or a test, or something where the functionality of Logos is hugely beneficial. Your very first post (or up to the first 5 as Armin suggested) would have to be moderated. Our moderators are busy - clearly, and understandably. If their reaction time to spam posts is ~6 hours (it is,  and sometimes longer) then we can expect their moderation times on the new post to be comparable. I have no doubt that this would increase the work load of the moderators as well.

Which is why I suggest the captcha device for new members (and old ones under certain circumstances). It accomplishes the same thing (with the odd miss do to increasingly sophisticated attacks) and faster, with no drain on the mods time.

Another solution would be volunteer moderators... Perhaps giving the VIP's the ability to hit Delete on a thread. or a post within a thread.

In short - no extra work for the mods once its set up. Less to no spam for us, and new members can still expect the same speed of answer.

ALSO Captcha is free to use on a site. Who doesn't like free?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:33 AM

Michael Kinch:
It is not likely that very many sincere individuals would be asking questions about Logos if they have not purchased any products.

You never investigate things you contemplate spending hundreds of dollars on?

People who are thinking about buying Logos usually seem to turn up on weekends, and sometimes hours before a discount ends. Turning them away goes against the very purpose of these forums, and would likely lose Logos sales.

E-mail verification is better than captchas.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:44 AM

Email verification can still be done by a "bot".

Captchas are a lot more complicated for a computer to figure out. They depend upon our own pattern recognition abilities, something that has not fully translated into computers.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:21 PM

Ken Baker:

Email verification can still be done by a "bot".

Email verification by a "bot" still needs a valid email address and server connection.  Also would allow Logos to add email for Logos product marketing.

Ken Baker:

Captchas are a lot more complicated for a computer to figure out. They depend upon our own pattern recognition abilities, something that has not fully translated into computers.

Found a reCAPTCHA project that is improving Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software => https://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore  As OCR software improves, CAPTCHA becomes less effective for distinguishing between human and computer.

From a Logos forum perspective, CAPTCHA can become an irritant for a new forum user to post a question since CAPTCHA's are becoming more difficult for human readability.

Conversely, the spam advertising irritant is thread(s) posting about topics not related to Logos Bible Software.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:36 PM

Ken Baker:
Our moderators are busy - clearly, and understandably. If their reaction time to spam posts is ~6 hours (it is,  and sometimes longer) then we can expect their moderation times on the new post to be comparable.

Our "moderators" are very busy, but not busy "moderating." I would be surprised to find more than 6 hours a day of "moderating." I do not believe SPAM irritates Logos half as much as it irritates forum users. 

Ken Baker:
I have no doubt that this would increase the work load of the moderators as well.

I have no doubt either. Presently there is no work "load" because the problem is not being addressed aggressively. 

Ken Baker:
Another solution would be volunteer moderators... Perhaps giving the VIP's the ability to hit Delete on a thread. or a post within a thread.

This is perhaps the only effective solution aside from hiring some full-time dedicated moderators.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9152
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:43 PM

Super Tramp:

Ken Baker:

This is perhaps the only effective solution aside from hiring some full-time dedicated moderators.

This seems like a very good suggestion to me.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:59 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Super Tramp:

Ken Baker:

This seems like a very good suggestion to me.

Expanding More drop down list for MVP's so have option to require Logos review of a reply has been suggested, but has not been done by Logos.

Embarrassed MVP's are human and have made mistake(s) reporting thread(s) as abuse, which Logos has left available for public reading so the Logos threshold for hiding thread(s) is a bit different than Logos user community.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:17 PM

Ken Baker:
Which is why I suggest the captcha device for new members

The only thing which Captcha insures is that there is a human behind the keyboard.  It would do nothing to stop spam.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10671
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:23 PM

Ken Baker:
Institute a captcha for all new members to prevent robots from making spam

One problem with this suggestion: Most of the current SPAM posts do not appear to come from robots, but from an actual person.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:36 PM

Super Tramp:

Ken Baker:

I do not like this idea.  

The best idea so far is to have a person validated his or her email.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 1:38 PM

Jack Caviness:
One problem with this suggestion: Most of the current SPAM posts do not appear to come from robots, but from an actual person.
I have not seen one post that would lead me to believe it came from a real person.

Posts 10416
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 2:48 PM

tom:

Jack Caviness:
I have not seen one post that would lead me to believe it came from a real person.

I've seen several within the last week. Automated bots could be programmed to work as slow as human beings, and could probably be made to edit their posts (spammers here regularly do so to get links in) and to "learn" over the course of several trials how to post links into a forum that should preclude posting them in the firstplace (some html syntax seems to work, some not). But bot scripts wouldn't answer in a discussion that arose from the fact that Andy really is fast reporting them. And automated scripts wouldn't try to insult one poster who reported them with their next post, using information about that forum regular's place of home. That's human behaviour. Thus, captchas wouldn't help.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 3:24 PM

NB.Mick:
I've seen several within the last week. Automated bots could be programmed to work as slow as human beings, and could probably be made to edit their posts (spammers here regularly do so to get links in) and to "learn" over the course of several trials how to post links into a forum that should preclude posting them in the firstplace (some html syntax seems to work, some not). But bot scripts wouldn't answer in a discussion that arose from the fact that Andy really is fast reporting them. And automated scripts wouldn't try to insult one poster who reported them with their next post, using information about that forum regular's place of home. That's human behaviour. Thus, captchas wouldn't help.
I have not seen this happening.  thanks for the info.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:52 PM

tom:

NB.Mick:
I have not seen this happening.  thanks for the info.

Yes, some of the spammer's posts border on intimidation and  thuggery. They want us to know they can launch retribution for our protests. Bots don't express animosity.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS