Upgrading from Logos 3 to Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
John Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:44 PM

Hi, I currently have Logos 3.0 Scholar version and want to upgrade to Logos 5 without having to buy all the new books but still get all the new features of Logos 5. 

I know there's a Minimum Crossgrade for Logos 4 and Logos 5, but do I have to purchase both in order to upgrade to Logos 5? Or can I just purchase Logos 5 Minimum Crossgrade to get all the new features?

Thanks Smile

Posts 6623
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:04 PM

John,

Welcome to the forums. I believe you need to purchase both. The L4 minimal crossgrade included Reverse Interlinears and other data that feed into L5.

A couple of others have mentioned doing what you plan to do and as I recall did both crossgrades to get the L5 functionality.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3002
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:16 PM

As a possible alternative, you might also look at the L5 starter package, which should get you to L5 as if you had NO prior package...  If it makes sense for you, it'll then provide a discount on the minimal crossgrade (you have to purchase starter, then crossgrade).

Though I already had L4 platinum (original package), that's the route I chose to go, as it provided the most bang for a few bucks...

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC One M8, Droid 4.4.2

Posts 6
John Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:41 PM

Thanks for the help Mark and Bill.  Quick question, do you think it's worth upgrading to Logos 5?

Posts 990
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:52 PM

John Smith:

Thanks for the help Mark and Bill.  Quick question, do you think it's worth upgrading to Logos 5?

Yes. 5 is a huge improvement.

There is a large learning curve from 3 to 4 or 5, but worth it. You should be aware tht 5 will not install on a computer with XP. 

Posts 6
John Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 9:06 PM

What was the biggest improvement from Logos 4 to 5?

Posts 6623
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 9:23 PM

John Smith:
What was the biggest improvement from Logos 4 to 5?

Hard to say. In terms of speed, L5 is much improved over L4. I terms of features, there are quite a few great new features (that depend on the level of package or datasets and features you own). Each of us would have a 'best' feature. I am impressed with the Clausal Search, the Roots of words feature, and the Bible Sense Lexicon (which is still under development). In the Information Panel the translations feature is very nice. Soon we hope to see textual variants displayed there as well.

L3 is a fine tool, but so much has developed since then I'd encourage you to give an upgrade to l5 a serious look.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8214
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:08 AM

BillS:
As a possible alternative, you might also look at the L5 starter package, which should get you to L5 as if you had NO prior package... 

I don't think Starter includes all the L4 features.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 162
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:08 AM

John you mentioned you were considering going from L3 to L5. another thing to think about is what kind of computer you have, is it XP or Windows 7 I ask that because when I got L3 I had a much slower computer, for Christmas I got this one with Windows 7 so I stepped up to Logos 4 now 5.

Posts 3002
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:29 AM

fgh:

I don't think Starter includes all the L4 features.

EDIT: best option is always to be had by calling Logos... Smile

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC One M8, Droid 4.4.2

Posts 18
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 1:27 PM

I have the same question. 

Did you figure out what is the best way to go to L5 ??

Thanks

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 1:38 PM

Hmmm going from L3 to L5…..sounds like a call to sales.

Maybe that would be best….all we can do 'hear' is speculate…

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 16557
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 6 2013 4:57 PM

Samuel:
Did you figure out what is the best way to go to L5 ??

Here's my take on a cheaper upgrade.

1) L5 packages assume you have an L4 package.

2)  L5 Starter has none of the L4 datasets you would find useful/essential later, and it has none of the new L5 datasets.

3) If you don't like/need Starter resources and want L5 datasets get the L4 Minimal Crossgrade and choose between L5 Core Datasets and L5 Min Crossgrade for the L5 datasets.  The L5 Min Crossgrade has all the L5 datasets whilst L5 Core Datasets has the essential datasets.

4) If you like L5 Starter then get the L4 Crossgrade. There is an overlap of resources but you only pay ONCE for resources you already have. If you get L4 Crossgrade first the Starter package will be cheaper but Sales can advise which way will give you the best price. Then you can choose between L5 Core Datasets & L5 Min Crossgrade for your L5 datasets.

5) Bottom line, get the L4 Min Crossgrade if you never purchased an L4 Package.

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 18
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 8 2013 5:57 PM

That was great Dave!! Thanks for all the help!!

Posts 18
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 9:48 AM

I tried calling logos several times and I have to say I was very disappointed. I have been getting different answers every time I call. 

First sales attendant said I need to buy the minimum crossgrade 5 plus bronze upgrade to have all the features

Second sales attendant said I only need to buy the minimum crossgrade 5 to get all the features.  

I have been using logos for a couple months and I really love the software. I'm looking forward to make an investment but it is a lot of money and I would like to be sure what I'm buying! 

Thanks you all for the help! I really appreciate! 

God Bless!! 

Posts 1555
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 5:42 AM

I would recommend just the L5 minimum crossgrade.

But if You are really unsatisfied with what books You have take a look if some of the low base-packages have books that You really want.
An additional method to get books that You want is to look for discounts, there are multiple channels and I would really say that it depends on which one is the fastest for You: email (You can go to Your account settings and change which type of emails You want), http://twitter.com/logos and the homepage in the software. Some of the offers depend on which base-package You have (such as whether You have a Verbum base-package).
Be careful, many of the books are not the best available and/or public-domain/dated.

The sales-rep that recommended You Bronze probably didn't realize how Your finances are.

I would say that none of the current base-packages is ideal. Buy a base-package only if the individual titles that You really need that are contained in the base-package would cost noticeably more put together.

I spent a LOT of time on choosing a base-package + discussed when I upgraded from L4 Original Languages Library and Catholic Foundations (the latter is now equivalent to Verbum Basic, the former is no longer sold to non-students and has been renamed to Biblical Languages and now includes LSJ - a lexicon of classical Greek and the Greek of the second temple period).

IMO Logos is weak on for example good critical Early Church History. I still have to rely on a hardback: Paul Johnson (1976). A History of Christianity. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson.

I'm also not that satisfied with what Bible versions are offered. I've suggested the 2004 Good News Translation 3rd Edition UK-English and the Jerusalem Bible, post in these threads to support:
1992 GNT-CE 2nd ed. preferably with Anglicized text and 1971 GNB 3rd ed. NT
Jerusalem Bible or 1975 Bible In Order

~1,480inclprint trulyergonomic.com
8Gtabl
laptops 8G: late'12 EliteBook W8.1 4threads HDD; '12Q1 HP 1366*768 15.6" '13 hybrdisk; '09 4GB 11.9" '12SSD
desktops: '09 8G W8.1 Core2Quad Q9300 HDD; '06 3GB PentiuD; W2000 Pradis justNIVACJn

Posts 16557
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 1:17 PM

Unix living in celibacy:
I would recommend just the L5 minimum crossgrade.

If Samuel never had an L4 base package that won't work - he would need the L4 min Crossgrade to get certain resources and L4 features. There is a warning with the L5 Min Crossgrade to this effect.

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS