Do you use the ESV Study Notes?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3929
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:44 PM

Just a question regarding the ESV study notes that are on the 12 days of Christmas sale. Could someone tell me if you use this resource and if so in what way? Do you treat it more like a commentary or perhaps a background resource? Is it worth the investment?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5082
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:52 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Just a question regarding the ESV study notes that are on the 12 days of Christmas sale. Could someone tell me if you use this resource and if so in what way? Do you treat it more like a commentary or perhaps a background resource? Is it worth the investment?

I have it and find it helpful sometimes. It's pretty basic, solidly US evangelical, and definitely complementarian (unduly one sided, IMHO). The maps and charts can be helpful too.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 712
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 3:39 PM

No (I have them in Bibleworks, but got them for free). For a Study Bible, I find it terribly narrow and dogmatic. 

27 iMac, quadcore 2.8, 1Tb HD, 8Gb RAM; 13 Macbook Air, i5 128Gb SSD, 4Gb RAM.

Posts 626
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 4:05 PM

I like them, but don't use them much.

I don't agree that they are all that dogmatic, but they are fairly conservative.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series

Mt Gilead Church - Olney, IL

Posts 626
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 4:06 PM

I do think they are worth getting, BTW.

Especially at that price.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series

Mt Gilead Church - Olney, IL

Posts 712
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 4:20 PM

It's not the conservatism I object to, per se, but the lack of breadth which a study Bible should encompass. Keep that in mind when reading my objections below, a comment from elsewhere in 2009.

>>I know lots of people like it, but I was singularly *unimpressed* with its notes when I looked through it at SBL last year. 

The note on Genesis 1:1, for example, does not even mention the alternate translation of the verse, one many scholars take to be correct (i.e. NRSV and JPS/TNK.) Not even a mention, and it claims to be a Study Bible! Moreover, it assumes that Gen 1:1 (without mentioning the alternative) teaches creation ex nihilo [again, something most scholars now reject], and then states that this is "confirmed by the NT writers' affirmation that creation was from nothing" though their citied passages affirm no such thing. They also leave out 2Peter 3:5, which has a connection to Genesis and creation from the pre-existing chaotic water/deep/tehom. 

For a *Study* Bible, I find the notes vastly incomplete and hopelessly dogmatic, with no mention of alternatives. 

If BW were to have only one set of study-Bible notes (and I've requested them before), I'd have preferred the NIV Study Bible or JPS Jewish Study Bible. 

Whether the scholars are right or not is immaterial to this discussion. I expect a *Study* Bible to present the options, not dogmatically choose and arbitrate between them for the reader, without letting the reader know there is even a question.>>

Edit: see http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?3428-ESV-Study-Bible/page2 for original discussion.

27 iMac, quadcore 2.8, 1Tb HD, 8Gb RAM; 13 Macbook Air, i5 128Gb SSD, 4Gb RAM.

Posts 924
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:02 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Yes.  I use them like I would use a commentary.  Obviously, they are more summary in nature and lack the longer explanations of an actual commentary, but often that's what I'm looking for, especially if I'm trying to grab something that reminds me of something else and don't want to read a page or two of details on a verse.

It is conservative in nature (those who don't like that will probably complain about the resource in general), can lean toward a reformed view at times (which I appreciate...others won't), and much more theologically oriented than, say, the NIV SB notes or the Life Appl SB notes.

It is a good resource if used as intended, IMO.

"Lighten up, Francis." - Sgt. Hulka

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:27 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Could someone tell me if you use this resource and if so in what way? Do you treat it more like a commentary or perhaps a background resource? Is it worth the investment?

Peace, Bruce!         I'm very partial to the ESV Study Bible (notes!)!               I also use quite often the Lutheran Study Bible notes.  And, I've fallen in love with the FaithLife Study Bible!                    Did I mention it's free???           At least for now  ...     and maybe forever???     http://faithlifebible.com/?utm_source=logos.com&utm_medium=search_result&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=logos

I usually have all three of these available to me in most of my layouts.  I use them as commentaries, linking to the many different kinds of Bibles I have open...

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1598
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:18 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Bruce, since I use my iPad with Logos as my read along Bible (ESV) in the worship service, I split screen the Bible and ESV study notes during the sermon just in case I come to a question that needs a quick answer to hold me over until after the service.  I liken it to nudging a friend for a quick opinion that can be explored further at a later time.

The strength in this resource for me is its brevity in being notes

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:47 PM

-deleted-

Posts 3929
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 5:14 PM

Paul Newsome:

Bruce Dunning:

Bruce, since I use my iPad with Logos as my read along Bible (ESV) in the worship service, I split screen the Bible and ESV study notes during the sermon just in case I come to a question that needs a quick answer to hold me over until after the service.  I liken it to nudging a friend for a quick opinion that can be explored further at a later time.

The strength in this resource for me is its brevity in being notes

Thanks for the suggestion. I finally decided to get the notes and I have now set up my tablet to do the same thing during a worship service.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS