Logos 5 and Windows XP

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:56 AM

Diana Hermann:
I guess I will just have to wait until I can save up enough money for a new PC before upgrading to Logos 5.

Just to add one little thing to Graham's comments… The upgrade prices are reduced significantly right now. You should seriously consider that in your decision. I just upgraded today when I received some Christmas money and realized the price was "right."

Diana Hermann:
I have considered switching to MAC but have too much invested in PC software at this point

I don't think anyone should "switch" for the wrong reasons… but certainly you shouldn't avoid it for wrong reasons as well. Depending upon the software you are needing to use, you may find good alternatives on Mac… Some may come free with the OS… Plus, the software you are running on your computer now may or may not run well on Windows X.X in the future. 

If you don't mind… what sort of apps are we talking about? Do you run these personally, or with a business? (In other words, is compatibility a consideration)?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 12:47 PM

alabama24:

Dave Hooton:
With a third-party replacement for the Start button (free or $5) you wouldn't know it to be any different to Windows 7 if you choose to boot to the desktop and disable all the quirky hot spots

Most users would not know how to do that. Surprise

Google "start button Windows 8" or start8.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 10549
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:50 PM

tom:
Jack, I am wondering if you are trying to increase your post count. 

When I first saw your post, I did not realize that mine posted thrice Geeked The forum software did not indicate that it had posted even once.

tom:
FYI... Not everyone knows how operating systems work.

I was responding to DMB's post that seemed to criticize Logos for not posting minimum system requirement, when it was clearly displayed.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 4:11 PM

Dave Hooton:

alabama24:

Dave Hooton:
With a third-party replacement for the Start button (free or $5) you wouldn't know it to be any different to Windows 7 if you choose to boot to the desktop and disable all the quirky hot spots

Most users would not know how to do that. Surprise

Google "start button Windows 8" or start8.

I'm not trying to be difficult, and I'm really not trying to bash Windows... But surely you can see that MOST users would not even think to do that. How else do you think IT departments stay in business. Wink

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:21 PM

alabama24:
But surely you can see that MOST users would not even think to do that. How else do you think IT departments stay in business.

I'm missing your point, Alabama. How to do what?

If users read (where else but the Internet?) that Windows 8 doesn't have a start button then they would inevitably also read that it is supported by third party software (as I did). If somebody on this forum wants to make only the negative statement then I'll add the positive!

I'll agree that a non-computer / non-internet savvy user might buy a Windows 8 computer anf get lost because they imagined it would the same as the old XP/Vista/7. Then they ring meSmile

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:35 PM

Well, Dave. I'm in your last paragraph (no offense). I'm also not into 'boy toys' ... if it's not there, it's not there.  (Jack's 3x reply demonstrated the principle very clearly.)

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:37 PM

Dave Hooton:
I'm missing your point, Alabama. How to do what?

I think you did get it...

Dave Hooton:
I'll agree that a non-computer / non-internet savvy user might buy a Windows 8 computer anf get lost because they imagined it would the same as the old XP/Vista/7. Then they ring me

Most computer users fall in this category. You've got job security. Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:03 PM

Jack Caviness:
I was responding to DMB's post that seemed to criticize Logos for not posting minimum system requirement, when it was clearly displayed.
True, and the poster even posted the minimum requirements.  Still, I was saying not everyone knows what OS took the place of another OS.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 9:10 PM

Graham Criddle:
If you have multiple Windows 7 (or Vista) machines linked to the same Logos account they will all be upgrade to L5 once you upgrade one.

After upgrading to Logos 5, when an installation checks for updates and is capable of running Logos 5, then Logos 5 is downloaded.  The downloaded installer can be deleted and the update manager database modified to "indicate" that Logos 5 release was installed.

Personally have Logos 4.6b Beta 1 and Logos 5.0b Beta 1 installed on OS X 10.8.2 and Windows 7 by using different computer accounts. Also accidentally upgraded one of my Logos 4.6 installations to Logos 5.0 so uninstalled and use quick installation steps to rebuild Logos 4.6 (using scan command).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:06 PM

DMB:
Well, Dave. I'm in your last paragraph (no offense).

I would not have put you in the last category!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 10549
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:28 AM

tom:
Still, I was saying not everyone knows what OS took the place of another OS.

I'm married to one of those Big Smile

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 6:19 AM

Dave Hooton:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Caveat: Windows 8 does not ship with a Start button and has some User Interface quirks: e.g. move mouse pointer to lower right corner, then right click for a hidden menu.

With a third-party replacement for the Start button (free or $5) you wouldn't know it to be any different to Windows 7 if you choose to boot to the desktop and disable all the quirky hot spots.

I think this whole issue concerning the Start Menu is simply people's resistance to change (Oh how often I have confronted that demon in my congregation). For myself, I don't miss the start menu. But even as far back as Windows 98 I seldom used it. However the same features that the old Start Menu offers are available in the Windows 8 Start Screen and in most cases with fewer clicks. So why cludge up your fresh install with add-ons that aren't even necessary?  Take an hour or so to become familiar with the new interface. Just my opinion mind you.

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 7:11 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
User Interface quirks: e.g. move mouse pointer to lower right corner, then right click for a hidden menu.

Or press Windows Key + X and pull up the same menu. Smile

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 7:28 AM

Actually humans (and the rest of God's creation) generally do not prefer change, unless it's gradual. Cars. Houses. Bibles. Grocery store layouts. Investments. What else? The weather.

Change trumpeters are almost always people with an idea. And it's always REALLY good.

Change is also 'social'. I clearly remember when I had a phone that brought in information for investments, etc. many years back. There was not a guy or gal in the room interested. But if a large group eventually signs on, then 'change' is 'well of course!'.   We can check our investments by the minute!

Here in Logos-land, I'd give pretty good odds, the 'vast' majority of users simply read, highlight, make a few notes. It easy to see when someone asks 'how do you use this new feature in your Bible study?' and there's complete silence. Duh.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 9:06 AM

Bob Schlessman:
I think this whole issue concerning the Start Menu is simply people's resistance to change (Oh how often I have confronted that demon in my congregation). For myself, I don't miss the start menu. But even as far back as Windows 98 I seldom used it. However the same features that the old Start Menu offers are available in the Windows 8 Start Screen and in most cases with fewer clicks. So why cludge up your fresh install with add-ons that aren't even necessary?  Take an hour or so to become familiar with the new interface. Just my opinion mind you.

I could not agree more, since I got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it last week and have adjusted to it and even like the brand new look and feel.  Not tempted to run add ons to make it more like Windows 7.  You can customize the Start screen and the Desktop Screen easily enough within the program itself by adding shortcuts etc.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 9:45 AM

Joan Korte:
since I got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it last week and have adjusted to it and even like the brand new look and feel. 
Hi, Joan;

I just finished posting a new thread centered around this issue. I thought of you while posting it. When you asked for advice about Windows 8, I was in my "I hate it" mode. I'm glad you ignored my advice. 

God Bless

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 10:24 AM

Schezic:
I just finished posting a new thread centered around this issue. I thought of you while posting it. When you asked for advice about Windows 8, I was in my "I hate it" mode. I'm glad you ignored my advice. 

I felt adventurous when I ordered it and braced myself for entering a brave, new world.  Love it, especially because I set it up without a password and avoided the lock screen altogether.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:28 PM

Joan Korte:

Bob Schlessman:

I could not agree more, since I got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it last week and have adjusted to it and even like the brand new look and feel.  Not tempted to run add ons to make it more like Windows 7.  You can customize the Start screen and the Desktop Screen easily enough within the program itself by adding shortcuts etc.

It's a brave new world for MS seeing they have to appease the business world as well as compete with modern apps on phones and tablets. I poked around in the corners, used the Windows-key shortcuts and typed program names into the Run box for quite some time before deciding it was too unproductive for how I prefer to work on the Desktop.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 4:34 PM

Dave,

You, hands down, know computers.  Me, I was in a situation where I had a laptop with XP on it so I had to move ahead and I could have chosen Windows 7 but chose 8, hoping that in four years when whatever iteration of Logos was out, It would be compatible.  I chose Windows 8 and determined to like it.  It grew on me.  What may have helped me to more easily adjust was the solid state machine it is running on!

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 7:34 PM

Joan, I forgot to add that you joined the brave new world more readily than I could - Kudos!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS