Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:30 PM

I am putting together some templates for Logos notes - liturgical use, rhetorical criticism, translation templates, inductive Bible study etc. Yes, I am painfully aware of the note attached to one citation problem but have a semi-successful work-around. Anyway, I've gotten to think about senses of Scripture. This is my list so far - do any of you know of others?  Thanks.

Senses of Scripture:

1) Jewish PaRDeS - Peshat, Remez, Derash, Sod

2) Antitype/type - Christological, ecclesial, sacramental

3) 4 senses of Scripture (early church) - literal, allegorical, moral/tropological, anagogical

4) 4 senses as time (interpretation of item 3): past, past connection to current, current, future

5) 4 senses from reader's perspective (interpretation of item 3): literal, what am I to believe?, what am I to do?, what am I to hope for?

6) literal, plain, plenary (sensus plenior)

7) literal, figurative (with rhetorical figure applied)

8) original meaning, meaning as seen through the cross (applies to Hebrew scriptures)

9) author's intent - reader's response

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 18 2009 3:12 PM

MJ. Smith:
I've gotten to think about senses of Scripture. This is my list so far - do any of you know of others?  Thanks.

There is the Postmodern approach. Check this out: http://www.opensourcetheology.net/node/67

Personally, I think it's silly. But a lot of current academics embrace this philosophy so it is important to be aware of it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2009 12:44 PM

MJ. Smith:
do any of you know of others? 

Here is another known as the "Isagogical, Categorical, and ExegeticalI approach. "I.C.E." for short. A Google search will hit many such churches.

R.B. Thieme, pastor of Berachah Church in Houston was the best known teacher using this system. Bob just died Sunday (8/16/2009)

Although a fundamentalist who believed in inerrancy and inspiration of the Bible, Thieme also taught a new Christian can not read and understand the Bible for himself but is totally dependent upon those the Holy Spirit has gifted as Pastor/Teachers to understand Bible doctine.

This method is heavily dependent upon the original languages and a complex structuring of catagories.  It can be very addictive to the students. Crowds would sit for several hours each evening for 5 days a week to be taught by the Pastor/Teacher. It is not to be confused with a worship service or sermon preaching.

Wikkipedia article on Bob Thieme:    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Thieme

Info on "I.C..E." system of studying scripture starting at the heading "Theology"  http://www.generationword.com/_notes/41.html

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1129
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2009 1:00 PM

MJ. Smith:

I am putting together some templates for Logos notes - liturgical use, rhetorical criticism, translation templates, inductive Bible study etc. Yes, I am painfully aware of the note attached to one citation problem but have a semi-successful work-around. Anyway, I've gotten to think about senses of Scripture. This is my list so far - do any of you know of others?  Thanks.

MJ, I don't know if Ryken's literary approach is what you are looking for-theology, history, literature (from "Word of Delight").  Also, the different genre would be yet another way to view Scripture, i.e. narrative, poetry etc.  FWIW

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS