A Christmas Wish: English Translation of Targums

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 26
Joseph Colombo | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 2 2009 2:08 PM

For quite a while now, Accordance has had an English translation module for the various targums.  While I greatly appreciate having the targums morphologically tagged, etc., it would be really nice for someone whose Aramaic is quite rusty to have an English translation that can linked to the Aramaic ones.  Besides...I am getting old and running down the hallway to my colleague's office to use Accordance is probably more exercise than I can stand :)

Posts 3
Wijnand Hörchner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 12:33 PM

For someone who is not even familiar with Aramaic it would be very helpfull to have at least the Targum of Isaiah in English like The Chaldee Paraphrase on the Prophet Isaiah from Jonathan B. Uzziel (Author), C. W. H. Pauli (Translator). BibleWorks has such a module.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 1:44 PM

Joseph Colombo:

... to have an English translation that can be(sic) linked to the Aramaic... 

Yes, Please! Yes

... or perhaps  "an English Interlinear" that is linked to the Aramaic Targums.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:06 PM

Anthony H:

Joseph Colombo:

... to have an English translation that can be(sic) linked to the Aramaic... 

Yes, Please! Yes

... or perhaps  "an English Interlinear" that is linked to the Aramaic Targums.

Except for the proposal of an interlinear (NEVER an interlinear), I would agree with this since I still read English more readily than any other language.  It would be helpful to scan the text for sections I might want to examine more closely.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 89
Brian Leathers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:21 PM

I second the motion for "an English Interlinear" that is linked to the Aramaic Targums! Please!!

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:49 PM

George Somsel:
Except for the proposal of an interlinear (NEVER an interlinear),

Agreed. I would like an English translation but not an interlinear.

I would even more like the possibility of supra-lineal vowels (the Babylonian system) for those Targums so pointed: namely, Onqelos. I find it frustrating to read Onqelos with "Tiberian" vowels.

Posts 22
Arttu Hiekkanen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2011 1:17 PM

An english translation of Targumim to Logos is quite necessary as the resources already have the Aramaic texts. With an info-window (hover-translate Aramaic words with full definitions) some translation can still be done with relative ease. But alas, although the web can be used to get random a translation to ease the work, that's really not the way I want to work with the Targumim. When will we have some proper texts in English?

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 6 2011 10:34 AM

Targums in the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon Project offered by Logos:

The following Targums will be included (along with the Targum Lexicon and a general introduction):

• Targum Onqelos to the Pentateuch
  • Targum Jonathan to the Prophets
  • Targum Neofiti to the Pentateuch
  • Marginalia to Targum Neofiti to the Pentateuch
  • Targum Pseudo-Jonathan to the Pentateuch
  • Fragment Targums to the Pentateuch:
    • MS Paris 110
    • MS Paris 110 - repetition of the Decalogue
    • MSS Vatican Ebr. 440, Nuernberg, and Leipzig B.H. fol. 1
  • Targum Job
  • Qumran Targum Fragments:
    • 4QtgJob
    • 11QtgJob
  • Targum Song of Songs
  • Targum Qohelet (Ecclesiastes)
  • Yemenite Text of Targum Lamentations
  • Western Text of Targum Lamentations
  • First Targum to Esther (Targum Rishon to Esther)
  • Second Targum to Esther (Targum Sheni to Esther)
  • Larger Supplements to the Second Targum to Esther (Targum Sheni to Esther)
  • Third Targum to Esther (Targum Shelishi to Esther)
  • Targum Chronicles
  • Targumic Toseftot to the Prophets
  • Targum Psalms
  • Targum Proverbs
  • Targum Ruth

In English ???

• Still waiting for some word
Posts 1515
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 2:20 PM

Added to the Prepub Page: Early Bible Translations Collection

• Charles Thompson's English translation of the Greek Bible, both the Septuagint and the New Testament
  • James Murdock's English translation of the Syrian New Testament
  • Agnes Smith Lewis' English translation of the Four Gospels from the Syriac of the Sinaitic Palimpsest
  • Francis Crawford Burkitt's English translation of the Curetonian Version of the Four Gospels
  • J. W. Etheridge's English translation of the Targums of Onkelos and Jonathan ben Uzziel on the Pentateuch
  • C. W. H. Pauli's English translation of the Chaldee Paraphrase on the Prophet Isaiah, also known as the Targum Isaiah
  • J. W. Etheridge's English translation of the New Testament from the Peshitta
  • William Norton's Peshito-Syriac and Greek comparison of Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, and 1 John
  • J. W. Etheridge's in-depth look into the English translation of Matthew and Hebrews from the ancient Syriac
Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 3:35 PM

I was glad to see this on offer this morning. While I'd prefer a more recent translation (plus translations of the remaining Targumim), anything is better than nothing.

I'd still  like the option for supra-lineal vowel pointing to be displayed.

Posts 308
James W Bennett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 5:01 AM

I too would like an English version of the Targums.

---

James W Bennett

http://syriac.tara-lu.com/

Posts 3
NELSON ARROYO | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 2 2011 2:34 PM

Agreed to requests above.  English translations and interlinear would be helpful!

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:21 AM

Hendrik-Jan van der Wal:
Added to the Prepub Page: Early Bible Translations Collection

This is all fine, but I don't like the packaging. I would rather have a Targums Package that is somewhat comprehensive and not a few Targumic resources lumped together with a number of others at this point I see no need for these. Nine books? - I would like just two of them or these two with all other items in the collection being Targums. Just my opinion. 

Posts 4
jerry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 9:39 PM

I too would like to see translation to the targums.

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:30 AM

Ron Corbett:
I would rather have a Targums Package that is somewhat comprehensive

Agreed. YesYes

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:36 AM

Kind of doubt any progress in this area. Need the word 'Lexham' on the front of the title to get some progress.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 302
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 8:41 AM

DMB:
Kind of doubt any progress in this area.

No Crying

Posts 7
Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 10:43 PM

Still don't see any progress on English Targums. Need need need!! : )

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:57 AM

Hans:
Still don't see any progress on English Targums.

There's actually been a huge one very recently (though it may not be so obvious to non-Catholics): the clearly very much improved relationship between Logos and Liturgical Press, the publisher of the Aramaic Bible: The Targums. So far it's only had time to result in a few new prepubs, but hopefully we'll see Sacra Pagina, Berit Olam and the Aramaic Bible before the year is over.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 8:12 AM

http://www.logos.com/product/7671/early-bible-translations-collection

Does this really need to be a PrePub? I bet this would fly through CP very quickly, considering the hunger for English targums...and I would like English versions of Syriac resources as well. The current price on this is a hopeless anchor on this collection.

Please move this to CP! Thanks.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Page 1 of 3 (49 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS