If Logos were to go out of business...

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 58
ZoesProudDaddy | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012 5:15 PM

What s the policy of Logos regarding DRM if the company were to ever go out of business? Since so much of the business is in the cloud and account based, would they remove all DRM from the resources and allow us to have a full backup going forward?

I am aware that we can backup our resources but since we are required to log in to Logos upon installation, wouldn't a backup be pointless of there is no  longer a way to confirm our purchae history?

Posts 6407
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:18 PM

Well, Zoe does have a proud Daddy indeed. You encapsulated 3 years of discussion since Logos4 was introduced. And as long as there's no straight answers (so far), I buy almost totally for Libronix. Period. I'm not stupid.

Posts 58
ZoesProudDaddy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:30 PM

I am confused. If you dont have an answer why do you still buy from the company?

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:41 PM

Well, I can't answer for DMB, of course, but, in my case, I still maintain a "Logos 3", a.k.a. "Libronix" installation, which does ~not~ require contacting "the cloud" for my licenses - the licenses are stored in license files right on the hard drive.

(Besides, I still like the L3/Libronix interface and functionality. but that's another issue...)

However, because of this I was disappointed (but not surprised) when Logos stopped releasing Libronix versions of new resources not too long ago.  Oh, well...

On the other hand, I am not seriously expecting Logos to "go away" anytime during my lifetime.  :-)

Fred

Posts 6407
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:51 PM

I'm sorry ZPD ... Fred said what I should have said. Libronix, unlike Logos4/5 can survive on its own, especially within a virtual 'box'. And I don't make assumptions about small companies. I assume Zoe is one happy child?

Posts 4038
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:53 PM

Fred:

Well, I can't answer for DMB, of course, but, in my case, I still maintain a "Logos 3", a.k.a. "Libronix" installation, which does ~not~ require contacting "the cloud" for my licenses - the licenses are stored in license files right on the hard drive.

(Besides, I still like the L3/Libronix interface and functionality. but that's another issue...)

However, because of this I was disappointed (but not surprised) when Logos stopped releasing Libronix versions of new resources not too long ago.  Oh, well...

On the other hand, I am not seriously expecting Logos to "go away" anytime during my lifetime.  :-)

I don't understand why a clear answer to this question is not available. I've read and even participated in some of them but I still am confused. I stopped using Libronix years ago but this post is making me wonder if I was wise. What other options are even available now?

The question of the future of Logos has often concerned me. It is easy to imagine passing on my paper library to my children or grandchildren but will Logos be around in the future for me to pass on the resources I currently own? I wish that there were more assurances but I guess that is just the way it is.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4766
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:54 PM

Remember, Logos 4/5 can run indefinitely offline. If you have to reinstall that may be a challenge. The wiki has several methods for installing onto multiple computers. Have not looked to see if you can install without going online.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 4766
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:56 PM

Here is the link. http://wiki.logos.com/search.aspx?q=installing+on+multiple+computers If you use a Dvd that should give you the engine.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 4766
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:58 PM

Method one, seems to be the one to do the trick.

Posts 58
ZoesProudDaddy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 7:17 PM

If Bob has offered an official statement, could someone link it? If he hasn't that is very disappointing. 

Posts 6407
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:00 PM

How well 'Method #1' might work down the road is a guess, but it's certainly worth your while to backup the software/resources as Lynden points to.

User work is the other issue (most people use the Bible software):

This thread will give you a taste of the problem (ie not just the software; the user's work as well): http://community.logos.com/forums/t/33479.aspx

And the commitment from Bob: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/17382/131433.aspx

Posts 933
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:16 PM

ZoesProudDaddy:
What s the policy of Logos regarding DRM if the company were to ever go out of business?

Basically, we are screwed.

But that's no different than just about any other product you buy.  You rolls your dice and you moves your mice.

I've owned a number of different items that became problematic when the company went out of business, the most expensive of which was a new homeowner's warranty on our first house.  That wasn't fun.  But it didn't kill us.

It would be very sad if Logos went out of business.  If that's too big a risk, don't buy it.  I think the risk-benefit ratio comes out well in my favor right now, however.  So I buy, and enjoy the product. Que sera, sera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TO9N61SYU0

"Lighten up, Francis." - Sgt. Hulka

Posts 994
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 12:43 AM

Nothing here is forever, but I've more confidence that Logos has gotten it right. 

Technology is a bad place to have a bunker mindset.

Posts 412
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 1:04 AM

In all likelihood, the rights to the software and userbase would probably be purchased by either a competitor, or an investment group. I doubt it would completely disappear, because the number of users Logos has is too big for a competitor to snub. 

Unless, of course, the entire market for Bible study software disappears, but I don't see that happening while there's still a power grid.

Posts 4038
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 3:45 AM

Mitchell:

In all likelihood, the rights to the software and userbase would probably be purchased by either a competitor, or an investment group. I doubt it would completely disappear, because the number of users Logos has is too big for a competitor to snub. 

Unless, of course, the entire market for Bible study software disappears, but I don't see that happening while there's still a power grid.

Does anyone know how many Logos users exist today? Is there a web page that makes a report on this once in a while?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:10 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Does anyone know how many Logos users exist today? Is there a web page that makes a report on this once in a while?

Peace, Bruce!             *smile*                    I was unable to find the thread; however, I distinctly remember Bob mentioning "over a million users" very recently indeed, within the last month or six weeks.           Perhaps someone else could find that for you ....          

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:14 AM

Found it!                    Over a million!            *smile*

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/61459.aspx

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4038
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:37 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Found it!                    Over a million!            *smile*

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/61459.aspx

Thanks Milford. Over a million users is a large number. It makes me wonder how much future growth is possible or likely which makes me also wonder about the future economic model for Logos.

Posts 5266
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:57 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Over a million users is a large number. It makes me wonder how much future growth is possible or likely which makes me also wonder about the future economic model for Logos.

Bruce,

I think I remember Bob telling us that the number of users increased dramatically with the release of the free mobile apps and that a very large fraction of users are app-only users.

The growth-challenge for Logos is making free-riders into paying customers. The million isn't the growth barrier (we sold all we can possibly sell and now close down) but it's the pool of future paying customers: they already have the app, maybe even the free engine, and some free resources. Then to really unlock the power of Logos some of them will get the FSB, the Core Datasets, a bible, some commentaries or a starter package....    

No limits to growth on this end.

My 2c,

Mick

running Logos 5.3 Beta 2 (Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - Win7 Home 32bit & Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 1115
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 18 2012 6:11 AM

DMB:
I'm not stupid.

Implying that the rest of us are. Thanks. ;)

Donnie

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS