New Improved Upgrade Discount Calculator - possibly not?

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 63
Jim Dunne | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:49 PM

After reading the blog post, I decided to fire up the updated Upgrade Discounter to see if it was a little easier to understand. 

A bit of background:  I already purchased an upgrade from Scholar's 3 to Scholar's 4.  It seemed like a good deal, and truthfully the dollars seemed pretty small.  So this time just for the sake of comparison, I went ahead with the calculator's recommendation - an upgrade from Scholar's 4 to Scholar's Gold 4. 

I want to be clear - I have no interest in buying Scholar's 4.  I just wanted to see how the updated discount calculator works.

I really can't say whether the price it gave me was reasonable or not - there's not really a way to tell.  But what concerns me is that the detailed display showing me the books I owned, vs. the "new" books I'd be getting, was incorrect. 

I still have Logos 3.0 installed, so it was pretty easy to do some checking on whether I already owned any of the "books you get" list.  In my case, the following titles were incorrectly showing as "books you get" even though I already own them:

- The Complete Word Study Bible, King James Version

- The Pulpit Commentary (77 vols.)

- God, Revelation, and Authority (6 vols.)

- Systematic Theology (Strong's)

-  The Works of Philo, Greek Text with Morphology

- Nag Hammadi Library in English

- Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament (3 vols.)

- Novum Testamentum Graece, by Constantius Tischendorf (4 Vols.)

I find this a bit disturbing.  I don't know what the old calculator thought I had/didn't have when it worked out my upgrade price from Scholar's 3 to Scholar's 4, but it's obviously still misinformed about what I have now.  Did this affect the price I paid?  Don't know, and as I said, I'm not real worried about the dollars.  However, if I were upgrading to Scholar's Gold, I would be concerned, because the quoted upgrade price is substantial.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any feedback from the folks at Logos?

Blessings,

Jim D.

Posts 725
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:57 PM

I checked what it said for me. There was one resource I have that it said I didn't (HALOT). Don't know how much difference it would make. I upgraded from Gold to Platinum and then bought HALOT - so it didn't miss anything when I did upgrade (HALOT is not in Platinum 4). I'm disappointed it didn't identify that I have HALOT when it offers me Portfolio. I do know the deal I got on Platinum was worth all I paid for it - just one Commentary series was worth more than I paid for the upgrade.

I know if I were to consider going to Portfolio (at $2000+ it is not about to happen soon/ever) I would go through the list very carefully and call about the impact of HALOT on the price. By the time I've saved up to that amount the deal will be a few years old and I'll have to pay more, unless we're on L6 or L7 with more discounts.

Chris

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:58 PM

Jim,  I noticed that same issue.  The next step up for me is Platinum but I already have the Baker NTC and the BDAG.  The upgrade calculator does not show this to be so.  Maybe the upgrade calculator only identifies what edition you have and does not take into account books or sets you have purchased separately. 

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:01 PM

It's still not accurate - only 1 resource in my case. I was assured by Sales that any Upgrade price does reflect what I have, despite the visual display!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:02 PM

I have noticed the same thing: resources I have supposedly coming to me in the upgrade.

Honestly I don't know that this takes into account what you already have. Mine highlights everything in Portfolio that isn't in Platinum. Perhaps the pricing reflects what I already have, but the highlighting definitely does not.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:03 PM

Richard Crampton:
Maybe the upgrade calculator only identifies what edition you have and does not take into account books or sets you have purchased separately. 

That is correct! But the Upgrade price does take that into account.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 725
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:09 PM

Dave Hooton:

Richard Crampton:
Maybe the upgrade calculator only identifies what edition you have and does not take into account books or sets you have purchased separately. 

That is correct! But the Upgrade price does take that into account.

Then it is misleading to imply it shows what you have and uses that to calculate the price. The claim: "Your upgrade price takes into consideration the limited time introductory offer, the base package you already own, your Pre-Pub purchase history and more" . . . Does it take into account your pre-pubs and not your regular, non-package purchases? What "more" is there? It seems it should say "this list/display reflects your base package purchases and the price includes everything you've bought" but would I believe that if it can't display it?

Chris

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:18 PM

Yea, I noticed same problem this morning.  I have leaders and was looking at silver.  Several resources not noticed, like BDAG.  I think it only highlights differences between package you own and package your thinking of upgrading to without consideration of other purchases.  I too wondered if the price that was reflected took into account other purchases.

Posts 24855
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 10:05 PM

Chris Elford:
Does it take into account your pre-pubs and not your regular, non-package purchases? What "more" is there? It seems it should say "this list/display reflects your base package purchases and the price includes everything you've bought" but would I believe that if it can't display it?

To be completely satisfied, do as I did and contact Sales.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 34
Ian McAsey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 3:02 AM

Me too!

I upgraded to Platinum. Having looked at the list I went through the resouces it said I didn't have I found that I had:

Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE 1979–1995)

Biblical Inspiration

The School of Biblical Evangelism

Ariel Ministries Messianic Collection (11 volumes)

Kregel Apologetics Collection (7 volumes)

All of the above I had purchased seperately. I agree with you Mark:

Mark A. Smith:
Perhaps the pricing reflects what I already have, but the highlighting definitely does not.

I have e-mailed customer services with a question to see if the price is affected in any way.

They are busy, I know, so I am waiting patiently for a reply.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 3:12 AM

I can verify that although the on-screen display does not take into consideration non-collection resources, the price does. I know from other forum posts and speaking to friends that the price I paid for my upgrade was much lower than some paid for theirs.

Posts 2198
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 5:34 AM

I confirmed that the upgrade pricing is based on our license information including purchases from 3rd parties with Logos Sales Rep David Kaplan.

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 5:58 AM

How can this possibly be when I have a purchse history of about $2000.00 and it does not show $1.00 of a discount?

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:16 AM

Shawn Drewett:

How can this possibly be when I have a purchse history of about $2000.00 and it does not show $1.00 of a discount?

Have you checked to see if the $2K you spent includes books in the upgrade?

My discount is substantial; though, the upgrade includes a lot of resources I already own, it is almost like I get 1/2 an upgrade because I own 1/2 of the resources in the upgrade already.

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:27 AM

I have tons of third party stuff:

WBC 58, nearly all of MacArthur's books and commentaries, Thru the Bible Series, Christmas Library Builder, Calvin Collection, Spurgeon Collection, Lucado Collection, Weirsbe, Sproul, Pink, and on and on I could go. And yes I am logged in to my account. Not $1.00 of discount.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:36 AM

JohnFidel:

I confirmed that the upgrade pricing is based on our license information including purchases from 3rd parties with Logos Sales Rep David Kaplan.

"including purchases from 3rd parties" <--- ????????????????? Whoa?

INSERT CLARIFICATION: (I understood 3rd party to mean ALL other then Logos Web Site purchases INCLUDING purchases from PERSON to PERSON)

It is and has been my understanding that ONLY purchases through Logos (IE those showing up on my "Logos Account: Order History") count towards the upgrade price.

THIS IS A MAJOR CONCERN... and should be to all who own 3rd party licenses.  (I have 2)

If the above quote is true, then essentially the upgrade price takes into account our LICENCES not ness PURCHASES (ex. someone could have been given a 3rd party resource... although I did buy both of my 3rd party resources/licenses)

THIS IS A MAJOR CONCERN... for a number of reasons...

1.  It means Logos will block my resale of those 3rd party resources...

2.  The 2 3rd party resources of mine total about $125 for me and while I know I did get a good discount price (from Leaders to Gold) I'm quite certain those 2 3rd party resources didn't add up to an additional $125 discount.

IF this is all true, then I WOULD NOT have wanted my 3rd party resources to be counted toward my discount, BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT BE WORTH IT!

I'd really like to see some OFFICIAL word on this matter.  It has been discussed a number of times...  If the above quote is true, then I have been giving some wrong information to others...  I know that many here understood it the way that I do/(did).  Certainly Logos has seen the discussions.  Why no official response?  Or did I miss it somewhere?

THIS NEEDS TO BE CLARIFIED

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:40 AM

How could they rightly NOT consider 3rd party purchases when they profited from these purchases? Not until the last month has Logos.com become the sole seller of these items. The company would not even be close to what it is today WITHOUT 3rd party purchases. To not include them would be wrong!

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:44 AM

I had/have all intentions of selling one of my 3rd party resources (the one included in Gold (The Pulpit Comm. set... the other one is not included in Gold so I'm happy to keep it.)

IF this was included in my upgrade price (and I'm totally NOT convinced it was, although I DO believe all my other purchaces (ex. pre-pubs) were, becasue they show up on my LOGOS account) then I realize there is going to be an issue here.

I reallllllllly hope we can get a clarification soon.  For now I will curb some of the nervous negative thoughts I'm beginning to have about this issue until I see/get some official word on the subject. (which looks like it may take a phone call)

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:45 AM

Shawn Drewett:

I have tons of third party stuff:

WBC 58, nearly all of MacArthur's books and commentaries, Thru the Bible Series, Christmas Library Builder, Calvin Collection, Spurgeon Collection, Lucado Collection, Weirsbe, Sproul, Pink, and on and on I could go. And yes I am logged in to my account. Not $1.00 of discount.

Most of these resources aren't available in any of the base packages; which package are you looking at upgrading to, and what resources in that package have you already bought?

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 6:47 AM

Shawn Drewett:

How could they rightly NOT consider 3rd party purchases when they profited from these purchases? Not until the last month has Logos.com become the sole seller of these items. The company would not even be close to what it is today WITHOUT 3rd party purchases. To not include them would be wrong!

They didn't get a dime from mine.  I'm sorry I didn't clarify....  I guess mine would be considered 4th party purchases.  IE purchased from an individual.  Maybe those do NOT fall under the discount umbrella?

I DO see that purchases from a resale company should be included in the discount. 

So... maybe I'm getting antsy over nothing...?  But... how would I know?  Because there hasn't been ANY official word on the subject...

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS