Was Silver substantially remoulded from 4 to 5?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 20 2012 1:16 AM

The Silver -level: were many books removed and many added? (If not I'll wait for L6 and meanwhile just use the free engine.) (I don't see all that much point in upgrading often.)

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 22095
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 1:27 AM

Unix:
The Silver -level: were many books removed and many added?

Randy Sims put together a comparison chart which - among other things - shows what was in L4 base packages and what is in L5. He posted it at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58191.aspx but I don't know whether it is uptodate.

Also important to recognise that while the labels "Silver" are the same it doesn't necessarily mean that one should simply move from L4 to L5 and use the same labelled base package. 

Unix:
(If not I'll wait for L6 and meanwhile just use the free engine.)

Using the free engine when it becomes available is the right thing to do if you don't want resources that are included in the base packages and the new features which L5 provides in the crossgrade options. However, the general feedback we are seeing from people using the crossgrade options is that they provide significant value.

As discussed elsewhere, eventually it is up to each of us to determine what is of value to us.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 1:35 AM

Unix:

The Silver -level: were many books removed and many added? (If not I'll wait for L6 and meanwhile just use the free engine.) (I don't see all that much point in upgrading often.)

Didn't we cover this in your previous thread? .....

L5 Silver or lower level now or wait for L6? 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 6:08 AM

Thanks! Now there's content, there wasn't last time I looked. Well, there are some errors, such as that the New International Version is NOT included in L5 Silver - I don't want it so it's an improvement from L4 Silver.
However, both L4 Silver and L5 Silver have items that I don't want, some of which have increased from 4 to 5: Strong's Concise Dictionary of the Words of the Hebrew Bible and the Greek Testament, more interlinears and English Bibles, lots of commentaries, sermons. There are extremely few useful language resources in L4 Silver nor in L5 Silver that I didn't already get with the Original Languages Library, the only ones in L5 Silver are about the Septuagint.
Of course like I've told in the old thread there are some desirable titles.

Graham Criddle:
Randy Sims put together a comparison chart which - among other things - shows what was in L4 base packages and what is in L5. He posted it at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58191.aspx but I don't know whether it is uptodate.

In my judgment the package has not been thoroughly revised, only some categories have been. Anyone who has opinions is welcome to write here!

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1873
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 7:42 AM

Unix:
Well, there are some errors, such as that the New International Version is NOT included in L5 Silver

Chart is correct. NIV is NOT included in L5 Silver (however, if you already have the NIV then the Reverse Interlinear data for the NT IS included).

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 8:38 AM

Graham Criddle:

Unfortunately, I have not done a good job of keeping that chart up to date or even completing it. I started it when L5 was initially released, and their charts on the Logos site were still in flux while I was putting it together. Halfway through the Catholic packages I threw up my hands and decided to wait on the packages to stabilize (I was also having a bit of trouble figuring out the Catholic packages and their categories, not being catholic or familiar with the resources), but I never got back to it. Embarrassed All of the L5 info should be double checked against what is currently listed on Logos.com.

Posts 22095
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 11:48 AM

Hi Randy

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):
Unfortunately, I have not done a good job of keeping that chart up to date or even completing it.

I would have been surprised if you had been able to keep it updated - hence my caveat.

It was really helpful that you were able to produce and share the initial analysis you did.

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):
All of the L5 info should be double checked against what is currently listed on Logos.com.

Absolutely

Thanks again, Graham 

Posts 701
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 20 2012 12:30 PM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):

Graham Criddle:

Unfortunately, I have not done a good job of keeping that chart up to date or even completing it. I started it when L5 was initially released, and their charts on the Logos site were still in flux while I was putting it together. Halfway through the Catholic packages I threw up my hands and decided to wait on the packages to stabilize (I was also having a bit of trouble figuring out the Catholic packages and their categories, not being catholic or familiar with the resources), but I never got back to it. Embarrassed All of the L5 info should be double checked against what is currently listed on Logos.com.

Randy,

That's a banging chart mate. Well done.

Cheers,

Marcus

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 3:59 AM

In the chart, is column G the L4 Scholar's Silver?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 22095
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 4:44 AM

Unix:
In the chart, is column G the L4 Scholar's Silver?

No G is "Scholar's", "Scholar's Silver" is H

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 8:26 AM

Thank you Graham & Marcus.

Unix, I added abbrevs for the package names to the floating header along with popup comments containing the full name. Hopefully, that will help a bit identifying the columns.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 4:20 PM

Good, they have removed The Teacher’s Bible Commentary. Unfortunately Calvin's Commentaries (46 vols.) seems to have been added?
Counseling has been remoulded.
The amount of books in Ministry has decreased. Smile

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1873
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 10:15 AM

Unix:
Good, they have removed The Teacher’s Bible Commentary.

Why do you consider it a good thing when resources are removed? Does the price decrease when resources are removed from a package?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 1:23 PM

It's not about the price. It's exciting to see the development, that the packages are not static. The more items that are removed the better are the chances that we get newer content.
Already before L5 came out, I was worried that they would bring in a lot of Baker items. But there's not as much of those as I feared, in L5 Silver. With the topical bundles there's instead a lot of T&T Clark content - this is of course not absolutely related to base-packages but anyway. I'm very glad that an expensive item such as The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, rev. ed. has not been removed from Silver. This gives me a chance to remind that a question I have has been left unanswered: Question about the NT bundle.
To summarize what I mean: I think that a balance is important. If Logos just chooses the easy part they listen only to the publishers and the publishers start to steer too much. Of course those who plan at Logos are aware of all this as the base-packages are showed at the storefront and important for marketing reasons.
To keep low prices and bundle a lot of books for discounted prices Logos has to accept cheaper books and also some public domain books, I realize that. I even buy some public domain books separately, although as it seems now in my community-pricing orders and from the one item in my wish-list: only for a couple of hundred $ maximally during a long period of time of say more than a decade. But like I said we inevitably get more of those in the base-packages and topical bundles.
I spend far from unlimitedly, I'm not a pastor, am not thinking of becoming, and don't have the finances for prolonged studies to become a pastor, and have a high rent to pay (real tenancy agreement though directly with the municipality corporation), so a couple of hundred $ is still good.

David Thomas:
Unix:
Good, they have removed The Teacher’s Bible Commentary.
Why do you consider it a good thing when resources are removed? Does the price decrease when resources are removed from a package?

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 12
Pastor Mark Stevenson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 28 2012 10:31 AM

I did the upgrade and found out after that because I was not Silver or higher I couldn't use most of the L5 I was looking to use so I cancelled it. No way was it worth it for me. I plan to upgrade one day and then it looks like it may be worth the upgrade.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS