Reading Plan for 365 Day Devotional Commentary

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Victor Morrison | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 25 2012 10:52 PM

I just downloaded the 365 Day Devotional Commentary and was wondering if there was an associated Bible Reading Plan already made for this study.  It would be great if I could have a Bible Reading Plan that took me to the appropriate Bible passage for the day, then to the daily devotion in the book.

I've tried multiple times to setup my own Bible Reading Plan, but I cannot get the pages to come out correctly.  The book has reading for January 1 from pages 3-6, but my reading plans keep coming up with pages 3-4.

Please let me know if there is already a pre-made Reading Plan for this devotional or how to setup a plan using chapters rather than pages.

Vic

Posts 26814
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 25 2012 11:25 PM

Unfortunately, the current implementation of Reading Plan doesn't permit what you need - only Logos can control the reading plans to this degree as part of their FaithLife interface. The rest of us have to wait.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5094
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 26 2012 12:16 AM

No at this point in time there is no pre-made reading plan that accommodates this resource.

I assume you know that it can be prioritized in your library and show up on your home page.  Personally I don't like that approach and I'm assuming you want to be able to check off a reading as you complete it.

Unfortunately the reading plan document design in Logos is flawed in terms of user requirements.  The reading plan document assumes you want to break up your reading based on page numbers.  Even though this book is indexed by calendar, the reading plan document doesn't allow you to change the indexing method it uses from page number to calendar day.  If this could be done it would solve, yours mine, and a lot of other users problems with Logos not behaving the way we expect it to.  Instead Logos wants us to use calendar devotionals on the home page.  I think that is short sighted on their behalf to try and enforce their way of managing the reading of a devotional on to the user.

For a resource to work in a reading document by  heading (not chapter) it needs to have no page numbers.  If page numbers are absent from the resource then the reading document would be forced to break down the resources reading by heading.  Some users get upset by lack of page numbers but I love it when I find a devotional that has no page numbers.  That way I can create a reading document using the resource headings.  Vyrso devotional books usually work really well with reading plan documents because they have not page numbers.

An example below is a plan I've setup using a devotional that has no page numbers and so nicely breaks up the reading plan via the headings.  It works really well because these is only the one heading associated with each reading.

I usually set it to start a few days before I want to start reading proper and then just automatically check off the headings such as Cover, Title Page, etc so I start reading the first devotional on the day I want to begin.  In this case I want to start reading this devotional this Saturday and so set it up with a start date of the 24th to swallow up those sort of headings.

Even if the case of the 365 day commentary, if page numbers did not exist you would probably have a job getting it to break up using headings since there is multiple headings per reading as it is a more comprehensive devotional than the one I have setup in this example.  To properly setup 365 Day Devotional Commentary requires reading plans to allow users to tap into the calendar day milestones that are encoded into those resources.  I hope one day Logos get this and implements it well, until then a resource like 365 day devotional commentary can only be used on the home page, or possibly using a reading list if you wanted to go to the trouble of handing code one, but I haven't tried that approach.  It would at least allow you to check off the readings as you complete.  MJ is  subject matter expert when it comes to reading lists and could comment better on if this approach would be workable or not.

Posts 1
Doug Klassen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 2:36 PM

I cannot set up daily bible reading which is the main reason I purchased Logos Bible Software.  I need help to start me off using the software.  Can anybody help me?

Posts 572
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 2:43 PM

Doug Klassen:

I cannot set up daily bible reading which is the main reason I purchased Logos Bible Software.  I need help to start me off using the software.  Can anybody help me?

See if this link helps you, Doug – Reading Plans. And welcome to the forums!

By the way, you'll find reading plans under the documents tab now - not the files tab as shown in the Wiki.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS