Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:29 AM

I agree with this.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:33 AM

R. Mansfield:
I find the placement of the "x" to close tabs to be very non-Mac. The x is placed on the far right in a window rather than on the individual tab as in Safari or Firefox and other programs that use a tabbed interface. I realize that the Windows version of L4 does it, too, but this seems non-standard even in Windows. If the x to close a tab was placed on the tab itself, it would make it easier to close non-active tabs, too.

It took me a couple of mistakes to learn how the "x" works because it was not like other programmes I use. However, the trouble with putting an "x" on every tab is that it ties up more screen space, which I guessed is why that they did it this way.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:34 AM

I agree and hope that can be adjusted when the Tabs bug is fixed.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:38 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

It took me a couple of mistakes to learn how the "x" works because it was not like other programmes I use. However, the trouble with putting an "x" on every tab is that it ties up more screen space, which I guessed is why that they did it this way.

But screen space doesn't seem to be an issue for Safari or Firefox. I find that I still try to close a tab in L4 by going to the tab first. It's undeniably a non-standard (and non-Mac) interface.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:21 AM

It occurs to me then the real problem will be what happens when L4 switches to the image tabs?  Then where would the x go?

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:47 AM

A slightly larger tab would suffice. And it wouldn't infringe much on screen space. But really, even as I look at your screen capture above which seems to be at about 100%, those book cover icons are meaningless to me. I have no idea what any of those are. And it's a good thing you didn't have various copies of Discipleship Journal open since they currently have no covers! Smile

I realize that since you opened these resources, you know what they are, but there are seven in number here. What about when you have open 10, or 20? Frankly, I think it would be counter-productive trying to figure out where the right resource is based upon book covers. I'd much rather have the titles than the book covers.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:42 AM

My take is a bit different in that the book covers are easier for me to discern than the text  because my eyesight makes it easier to see colors and patterns more than text.  Since I have had visual impairments all my life, I tend to memorize things and so, in my case, I would remember what each cover looked like and its place on the bar.  But I realize I am probably in a minority of those who would organize and learn in that way.  I would miss the covers, but would also prefer the x on the tab, so I guess I am torn between preferences.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 12:39 PM

R. Mansfield:
I realize that since you opened these resources, you know what they are, but there are seven in number here. What about when you have open 10, or 20? Frankly, I think it would be counter-productive trying to figure out where the right resource is based upon book covers. I'd much rather have the titles than the book covers.

I like the book covers in L4, but each to his own! Maybe this could be an option that could be switched on and off from preference settings?

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:00 PM

Tear-away tabs would be a great feature. :)

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:20 PM

Chris Roberts:
Tear-away tabs would be a great feature. :)
You mean like this

http://www.screencast.com/users/jrmiller777/folders/Jing/media/434d7569-4742-4c73-ab17-9add79079cb0

or something else?

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing, Joe, in regard to Chris' wish for tear away tabs--that is that it is somewhat available already. 

Beyond that, however, I'd like to see tabs that can be pulled away to create a separate window just as can be done in Safari.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:29 PM

The feature in Safari is what I refer to - tear-away tabs are tabs you can drag away from the main application window and they automatically form a new window.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:34 PM

Oh, so like this

http://www.screencast.com/users/jrmiller777/folders/Jing/media/7763abd0-edfe-455a-a4fb-f0513133fc71

Yes, that would be very useful indeed!!!  Yes

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 12:00 AM

Chris Roberts:
The feature in Safari is what I refer to - tear-away tabs are tabs you can drag away from the main application window and they automatically form a new window.

Now that would be sweet! +100 on this. (I like eye candy, lots of it)

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 8:01 PM

Scott has some nice mockups for a UI over in this thread if anyone wants to give some input  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/5448/80525.aspx#80525

Posts 100
Heath Choate | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 8:36 PM

Joe: Here is the BibleGlo video like some of the UI features but I like these features:

Has media browser option that separates different media types, video, pics etc.

I like the interactive timelines and the videos. 

Posts 89
Robin Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 8:55 PM

Yeah, I love the drag and drop idea in the mac.

I am thinking if it is possible to highlight any verse in the bible or commentary, drag it and drop it in the Word processing. Just a thought.

Posts 100
Heath Choate | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 9:31 PM

Russ Quinn:

Joe Miller:

Tried saving my floating Library window on Space #4 with my L4 on Space #3, but when I restored from the saved Workspace, the Library defaulted back to Space #3.  So I will just reiterate my strong desire to have L4mac take advantage of both Expose and Spaces.  Saving workspaces and custom PG searches to take advantage of the Mac specific features would be awesome!!!!

Joe,

Is it a limitation of OS X that apps can be assigned to spaces but not discrete windows within an app?

I'm not aware of any app that functions quite like you have described. Even the high end apps like Photoshop and Macs own apps (iLife, iWork, etc.) only allow Spaces assignment on an app level. Of course, my not being aware definitely does not mean much.

Do you know of an app that functions like this?

If you open Spaces. You can set it up that by default particular apps open in certain windows but you can drag individual windows of an app into any space you like. Like a Safari window in each space. Furthermore lets not forget that you can expose what is in each space separately or use dock expose to show all open Logos windows regardless of space.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 9:54 PM

Heath,

I have heard about that BG product, but never used it.

My idea with spaces was more about assigning floating windows to open in specific spaces, thus creating a saved layout that operated among different spaces.  It appears that is not possible in Mac.

Posts 100
Heath Choate | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:33 AM

Joe Miller:

Heath,

I have heard about that BG product, but never used it.

My idea with spaces was more about assigning floating windows to open in specific spaces, thus creating a saved layout that operated among different spaces.  It appears that is not possible in Mac.

Did you watch the video I posted above? 

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS