LE update scripts for Logos 3

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:03 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
Are you saying that you found titles missing from L3, that are now found in L3? Or are you saying, you've now found titles in L4 that were missing from L4?

These are all resources that were missing from my L3 installation. I upgraded from Scholar's Gold Version 3 to Portfolio Version 4. I collected several lists from Logos showing the new titles. I was impatient for the update script so I started systematicaly downloading them in Version 3 format from the ftp server. I thought I had them all except for the 4 titles Mel gave me. When I ran the script I got another 2.5GB list.

I have Version 4 loaded on my new desktop.

My laptop only has 1GB RAM and is still running XP with small hard drives. I doubt it could handle Version 4 acceptably. I still do want my whole library available, including PBB and other Version 3 exclusives like key linking and notes. I am serious about hoping Logos maintains BOTH versions for years to come.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3763
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:31 AM

For those who are concerned about hard drive space, here is a method that saved me 2.0 gb. Caution: read the warning at the bottom of this page BEFORE doing any of this.

1. Find out what the path to your Logos 4 resource folder is (it will depend on which operating system you use). In Windows 7, mine looks like this C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\hibf0f4d.eyj\ResourceManager\Resources. Note: I don't know whether the hibf0f4d.eyj folder would have a different name on a different computer, but you know you have the right folder when you find lbxlls and logos4 files in that resource folder (.logos4 files are in subfolders). ALSO at least in Windows 7, you have to enable viewing hidden files in Windows (folder options) in order to be able to see these folders and navigate through them.
  2. Go in Libronix 3 and under Tools\Options\General\Resource Paths and add the Logos4 resources folder location. Note: Remember to click on the Add Path button after you have browsed to the appropriate folder (I often forget and then it is not added).
  3. Once the path is added, use the up button to move it to the top of the list. Then click on refresh resources. Restart Libronix 3 and if the "discovering resources" indicator appears in the bottom right corner, let that finish first.
  4. Then go to Tools/Library Management/Remove Duplicate Resources and run it. Your Libronix 3 format books which were imported in Logos 4 will now appear. Leave the files that are in the Logos 4 resource folder, but remove the ones in the Logos 3 folder.

When you do this, Libronix 3 will still be able to access the books that are in the Logos 4 resource folder.

Warning: One possible drawback to this method might be that as .logos4 counterparts to .lbxlls files are made available by Logos, Logos 4 may replace them when updating. If that happens, Libronix 3 would no longer have that book since it cannot read .logos4 files. A precaution against this may be to make a backup of your libronix 3 resource folder before you start the process above.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:30 PM

Francis:

When you do this, Libronix 3 will still be able to access the books that are in the Logos 4 resource folder.

Warning: One possible drawback to this method might be that as .logos4 counterparts to .lbxlls files are made available by Logos, Logos 4 may replace them when updating. If that happens, Libronix 3 would no longer have that book since it cannot read .logos4 files. A precaution against this may be to make a backup of your libronix 3 resource folder before you start the process above.

Two questions:
1) Does Logos 4 synch feature remove resource files, Or just add them?
2) Why can't Version 3 files be kept in a folder outside of Version 4's path?

I have my PBBs and some third party collections in separate folders. I just add them to the path for Version 3. Leave them out of Version 4's path since they aren't used they won't be missed or removed. Correct?

Posts 130
Robert J Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:44 PM

I made two attempts clicking just the Platnium link. The first I let run for over 4 hours, then killed it and tried again. I found that the second attempt hung up at the same resource (Holman Bible Atlas) and killed it again. The dl goes into a loop on that resource and continues to download it over and again.

So I sucessfully downloaded the entire package in strips - manually selecting the resources - less the Holman Bible Atlas, Holman Bible Handbook and Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. All three of those loop.

Posts 3763
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:52 PM

Matthew, I don't know what would happen if a .lbxlls file was updated to .logos4 file by Logos 4. I think that such updates is bound to happen because .logos4 files would be optimized for Logos 4 and there is much demand for metadata correction. Since I am not aware of a remove duplicates feature in Logos 4, I would hope that obsolete files don't just remain behind. But I don't know that for a fact.

About your second question, it seems clear that Logos 4 does not simply access .lbxlls files in other locations. When it finds resources, they are copied to the Logos 4 folder. On the other hand, Logos 3 is able to access files in multiple locations. For this reason -- and only if one wants to save hard drive space -- I suggested removing duplicates from the Logos 3 resource folder and enabling access to the Logos 4 resource folder.

But since Logos 3 and Logos 4 installations can co-exist on one computer, there would be no reason for Logos 4 to remove resources that are not in its own resource folder. In other words, PBBs in other locations accessible by Logos 3 would not be affected by updates from Logos 4. This is what I think.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 12:53 PM

RobertJSmith:

So I sucessfully downloaded the entire package in strips - manually selecting the resources - less the Holman Bible Atlas, Holman Bible Handbook and Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary. All three of those loop.

Robert, Could you not have just de-selected the three Holman titles and let the rest downloadf in one fell swoop?

That is so bizarre. I had no trouble downloading anything from the Portfolio script. Could it be they have different resource files on different servers for each link? Maybe the three Holman files are corrupt on the one server.   Logos support have any fix?

Posts 3763
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 1:06 PM

Since multiple users report download problems with the Holman resources listed above, I am posting here the direct download links. Users can download them manually and then run the script:

1. ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/HLMNBBLAT.lbxlls
  2. ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/HLMNILLBBLDICT.lbxlls
  3. ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/HLMNBBLHBK.lbxlls

I assume that sooner or later someone from Logos will stumble on these threads and fix the problems with these files. If anyone is speaking to Logos tech support, it would be good to mention it to them.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 1:12 PM

RobertJSmith:
I made two attempts clicking just the Platnium link. The first I let run for over 4 hours, then killed it and tried again. I found that the second attempt hung up at the same resource (Holman Bible Atlas) and killed it again. The dl goes into a loop on that resource and continues to download it over and again.

Must be the circular logic in those resources.

[Note: for anyone who thinks I was being serious, that was a joke. Well, it was an attempt.]

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1467
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:08 PM

I just finished my update (getting books from version 4 into 3)

There are books that are missing .. I have a few pillar commentaries but not the whole set... Col... and 2 peter came through but none of the rest did .

At this point I dont know what else from my library is missing

Posts 191
Valerie Pobog | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:28 PM

I had this problem Blair and just fixed it this way:

Valerie Pobog:

I was finally able to download the new L4 resources to L3 but although some of them are 'unlocked' they remain 'greyed' out. How do I make these resources accessible in Libronix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have synchronized your licenses and you still have some greyed out, try clicking on one of the greyed out items and it will bring up a screen with another link which will take you to the information about the book that will then tell you which discs the book is located on.

In my case, all I had to do was put in my 3.0e upgrade disc and it had all of the greyed out book resources on it (they were on the disc, but didn't load because they were previously locked). If you didn't get a disc and downloaded your previous upgrade, I believe you can still get them but it will be more time consuming as you go to the individual books on logos.com and download them individually from the website. (Praiser)

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 1:38 AM

I was able to run the LE update script for Logos 3 (although I use Logos 4 99.9% of the time; just thought it might be useful in case there was a problem with L4). The update took VERY LONG. In fact I started yesterday morning and left it running overnight! I remember two of the Holman books taking a massive amount of time (hours!), but just left it alone. Then this morning I awaked to find out that the update had finished successfully!

Valerie Pobog:

I had this problem Blair and just fixed it this way:

Valerie Pobog:

I was finally able to download the new L4 resources to L3 but although some of them are 'unlocked' they remain 'greyed' out. How do I make these resources accessible in Libronix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have synchronized your licenses and you still have some greyed out, try clicking on one of the greyed out items and it will bring up a screen with another link which will take you to the information about the book that will then tell you which discs the book is located on.

In my case, all I had to do was put in my 3.0e upgrade disc and it had all of the greyed out book resources on it (they were on the disc, but didn't load because they were previously locked).

Ditto! I had the same problem and originally was just clicking on the individual resources and then downloading the appropriate title. But this was taking way too long and some titles I could not find. Thanks, Valerie, for the tip on using the 3.0e upgrade disc. All books are there now.

Charlene

Posts 50
all4als | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:21 AM

I have tried several times to do this update without success.  I finally looked at the forums and found this thread thankfully.  Today, I am taking the suggestion of only updating a few books at a time and it seems to be working.  I upgraded to Logos 4 and really like it.  However, I kept L3 and decided to add my L4 books to it.  When I go through adding several books at a time, my update hangs on the Ante-Nicene Fathers, not the Holman with which others are having issues. 

John 14:15

Posts 50
all4als | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:29 PM

For some reason I cannot update my NAC Series.  Can someone offer help?

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:00 PM

Since you know what resources you need you can download them to your Logos 3 Resources folder. You should only need to download the volumes you don't already have.

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 50
all4als | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 8:16 AM

Mark, thank you for the suggestion.  I didn't communicate very clearly, and should have been more patient with my post.  I synced my license again, and waited for L3 to 'Discover' my new books.  Problem solved.  

I wonder how many times a problem could be solved it I were just patient.  Forgive me!

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS