Notes vs. Clippings

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 4 2009 9:49 AM

I have used notes quite a bit in L3, but am sort of starting over with my notes not being transferable to L4 yet.

I have used the notes thus far for outlining passages, translation from the orig. languages, making commentary notes/personal observations, and noting helpful resources on say a verse or topic. I had separate files for these uses in L3 and am trying to figure out the best way to do this in the new platform.

The new clippings feature looks really cool. Is there any reason I would continue to use notes vs. just doing clippings. Any suggestions of the pro/cons of one vs. the other. At this point, I am a bit confused as to why both notes and clippings exist separately.

Oh, one other thing. Is it possible to create a hyperlink to say a commentary or journal from a note file (or clippings for that matter). I have a lot of commentaries and journals and it would be immensely helpful if when I run across a particularly helpful discussion, I could note it and set a hyperlink to it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 10:38 AM

Notes is more of an annotation resource. For example, if I make a note on the reference Jn 3:16 then a note icon appears in all Bibles for that reference letting me know there is an annotation there.  

Clippings can't really be used in that manner. If you make a clipping of Jn 3:16, for instance, you won't know you made a clipping of that item unless you remember making a clipping of that item. I use the clippings more for gathering information on particular topics from various resources. For example, I have a clipping file entitled "Deity of Christ" and whenever I come across a passage in the Bible or a passage in a book that pertains to that topic I will clip it. That way I can just go to that one file and see what several different people or Bible passages say about that subject.

Perhaps someone else can help you better understand the differences in functionality or give you other ideas of how to use them.

There is a hyperlink section in notes, but I'm not sure how it works. Clippings automatically create a hyperlink to the item you've clipped. You can also create a hyperlink or url (and html) from any resource by clicking on the top left icon of the resource that usually has a picture of the front cover. You can then paste that into OneNote or wherever to make it link.

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS