Marketing Suggestion for L6

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 778
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:04 PM

Here's a couple marketing suggestions for the next major Logos version (Logos 6 or whatever it'll be called) that might alleviate some of the negative feedback/pain in the future.

1. Perfect/release the free engine a little bit before officially rolling out new L6 collections/datasets. Do it the complete reverse of how L5 was rolled out.

Here's why...

A. It gives all Logos users a chance to upgrade to the new engine free right from the start. We realize some of the fun new features aren't coming yet until we get new datasets or collections, but we all get the engine right away. This would also minimize server overload somewhat at first since people are only downloading the engine.

B. It gives us a chance to evaluate the new engine with our existing collections/datasets/computer specifications, so if we wish to bring in new hardware for better performance, we can, as well as it allows us to plan for what datasets/collections we might want to invest in/upgrade to.

2. Put the Minimal Crossgrade, Core Datasets Upgrade (or ditch Core Datasets and merge them into the MC), and Collection Upgrades on Pre-Pub when the core engine is released. Show us exactly what's new in the datasets and collection upgrades, which gives us a chance to plan out which route we want to upgrade. While under Pre-Pub, we'd be able to snag our upgrade at a discounted price, but until the collections ship, it'd give us a chance to make up/change our minds if we want to change our purchase route before it ships. When they ship, our credit cards are then charged and Logos delivers our purchases. They could also do a similar route to the Perseus collections by delivering everything on a "preordered first come, first serve" basis so that delivering these massive downloads wouldn't totally overwhelm their servers.

3. When purchasing collections that don't include all the datasets/features (such as the way people have been purchasing Silver and adding the Minimal Crossgrade to it), the Logos cart would show a suggestion that would popup stating "to enjoy all the features of Logos 6 with your base collection, we recommend you also add the Minimal Crossgrade to your purchase" and show the discounted price. This way, users can choose the collection they want, and know for slightly more they can top off their features/datasets.

These three changes in marketing would potentially minimize a lot of the negative feedback L5 received at lauchtime. It gives everyone a chance to get up to date on the engine right at the first, plan out their paid upgrade routes in enough time before they ship, as well as allows Logos to minimize server overload and have a better plan for delivering updates/upgrades to customers without crashing their infrastructure. It'd be a win win for everyone.

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Posts 2947
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:12 PM

Yes

Posts 188
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 4:25 PM

Smile  Yes

Posts 308
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:21 PM

Would this approach also minimize revenue to keep Logos Bible Software alive and healthy?

Posts 730
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:29 PM

I could not disagree more. I was very happy to get the call and upgrade to Logos 5 and all the new features and resources the day they rolled it out. I understand some can't afford to and others are still waiting for the free engine but I must speak for myself and I enjoyed the surprise of hearing of the new release and getting to play with all the features and resources right away.

Posts 1036
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 6:10 PM

I wondered at the time, when the forums were flooded with complaints, if just changing they way it was presented wouldn't have made a difference? Something like calling it an Early Bird / Early Buy-In Beta program: "Buy one of our exciting new Package Deals and get early (beta) access to the newest version of the world's most powerful Bible Study software!!!" Then release it to everyone 3 months later.

It's just word games. Maybe it wouldn't work. Hadn't really thought it through, but it gives people with nowhere to got with it. It would be a "Special Program" you could buy into it or not. The "Official" public release would follow later, "when it's ready".

But I'm not sure that fixes everything. The Logos model is not an easy one to work with. People just don't seem to appreciate software when it's free, and it's a very mixed model that's very difficult to describe in a way that makes everyone happy. There are two separate products being treated as one: 1) the software, and 2) the packages. And you have to present it in a way that appeals to both existing users and new users. And you also want to make it desirable for people to upgrade within a particular version: eg, from L5 Silver to L5 Gold. That's a lot of combinations, and many unpleasant ones. I can see where it would leave a bad taste in someone's mouth paying a considerable sum to "upgrade" from L4 Platinum to L5 Silver. That's a psychological blow; that's bad sales.

That's a real mess, and I'm not smart enough to figure out a way to present all of those combinations in a way that wouldn't make someone somewhere upset.

Dell XPS 8300: Core i7; 12GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6870 (Dual Monitor); Win 8.1 Pro x64 (Rebuilding)
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T: Core i5; 4GB RAM; Win 8.1 Pro x64
ASUS Nexus 7 | Samsung GALAXY S5

Posts 1283
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 6:38 PM

As messed up as the role-out was, the suggested solution would not really help much, IMHO.  Logos 5 was evidently designed to use new data sets.  You want the early users to see this new functionality and start buzzing about how the rest of us should upgrade.  Eventually this is happening.

But the first day!  Releasing it when the web page was not available was a mistake.  It left the impression that no one knows what is going on.

Then there were all the complaints about how much it would cost to stay with my collection, and the many reminders that you keep your old books, no matter what new collection level you are at.  As an Original Languages Library person, dropping this package from the lineup was quite a disappointment.  The system suggested Bronze to me, but it would add a LOT of (IMHO) fluff that I don't want and Basic would have limited new functionality...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 15771
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:33 PM

Jack Hairston:

Would this approach also minimize revenue to keep Logos Bible Software alive and healthy?

I don't know anything about how this release served Logos in terms of revenue, but negative user experience has got to hurt them in the long run. The happier their existing user base is about the product and their experience buying/installing it, the more they'll talk it up among their friends and the more prospective new customers Logos will get.

Posts 337
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 3 2013 7:49 PM

Kenneth McGuire:
As an Original Languages Library person, dropping this package from the lineup was quite a disappointment. 

I totally agree with your statement! That is in my opinion Logos's best base package, to date and it is highly disappointing  they did not offer a Logos 5 upgrade comparable for Logos4 Original languages  owners. However, I am glad that  Logos5 Core Datasets were finally offered at a very reasonable price. 

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 162
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:54 AM

Agreed with the marketing suggestion here, how about another tiny little idea to put into L6 -

1. Rename each package this might keep some tempers from flaring, although I don't give any promises there. Still it will show the new package empowers an entirely new type of dataset. (Because I am sure there will be completely new things to experience with the new software.)

Posts 821
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:46 AM

Yes

Posts 433
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 1:57 PM

I'd bet that Logos could pay every person $20 to install L6, give them free resources and a new computer, and then send a tech to their house for a month to personally assist them in learning the new software ...

and there would still be whiners running to the forums to publicly blast Logos. 

Victimization, hubris, and hyper-sensitivity are skills that readily morph into addictions.  Forgiveness, humility, and tolerance are hard.

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 6522
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 2:15 PM

JRS ... you got yourself a bet. You'll probably want to fund the bet of course.  Maybe with some help from the forgivers, humidifiers and tolerizers.  Those victimizers, hubridifators and hyper-sensitizers better have deep pockets.

Posts 1539
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 2:46 PM

Nathan Parker:

Here's a couple marketing suggestions for the next major Logos version (Logos 6 or whatever it'll be called) that might alleviate some of the negative feedback/pain in the future.

Well thought out suggestion.  But if only they had told us the entire plan prior to day one.  Some might complain that they did not get to join for free on day one but if they had known when the free engine was going to be available it would have helped. 

Yes, shipping to the ones that order first first makes sense but if they took orders for a week and shipped to the ones that paid most first would also work [[those are the ones that pay for the free stuff for the rest of us]] just as long as we knew the total plan. 

Posts 4112
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:38 PM

I personally didn't mind the way L5 was launched although it was quite confusing at times. But I am confident that Logos will significantly change the way the launch L6 compared to how they launch L5. It seemed to me that the complaints were unprecedented.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1283
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:52 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I personally didn't mind the way L5 was launched although it was quite confusing at times. But I am confident that Logos will significantly change the way the launch L6 compared to how they launch L5. It seemed to me that the complaints were unprecedented.

Maybe a BIT.  The thing is that the launch of L4 seemed a bit rushed and confused as well.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 2947
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 3:24 AM

Kenneth McGuire:
The thing is that the launch of L4 seemed a bit rushed and confused as well.
Both launches were bad - very bad.  What mad L4 so bad was that L4 was not a usable product (IMHO) was about year and a half later.

Logos has learned from some of its mistakes.  I just wished that they would learn about rushing.

Posts 3551
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 4:00 AM

Here's my main suggestion for L6:

DO IT IN THE SUMMER!!!

That way, people who want to take advantage of year-end sales won't be incapable of participation because they just plunked down big green for the new engine upgrades.

Oh, and of course...Logos will want to implement all of my previously requested but currently unincluded L3 features--that goes without saying. Stick out tongue If a project manager for L6 product development is needed, I'm available...and you know where to reach me. Angel

I'm serious about the summer thing, though.

SUMMER!

Posts 149
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 4:03 AM

I think the biggest marketing error was significantly expanding the number of books in the base packages. The basic upgrade to stay in your level should have  cost around $150. That is similar to what the competitors charge to upgrade. I was looking at over $500 to stay Platinum. I opted for the minimal upgrade. The problem was not the value, but the perception that it would cost over $500 to upgrade and stay in the same base package. It would be have been better to add just a few books to each base package and then expand into new base offerings. People would be more excited about spending $500 to go to a higher package then spend $500 to stay at the same package.

Giving out the software engine early would not be that helpful as it would be incomplete. It would be like the auto companies rolling out their base models instead of the luxury models. It would take out the fun of going to the dealer and checking out the top of the line. Who wants to take an underpowered car out for a test ride? Would it make users less likely to upgrade? Is that economically viable when they have to maintain so many software formats? Logos giving out the software engine for free is a bonus that no one else does. It could be that Logos is seeking to downplay the free engine download.

With forums and customer reviews being so common it has taken away much of the value. Even very good products on Amazon have bad reviews. One almost has to ignore them or see if you can figure out why they had such a negative experience. Too often it is because they don't take time to learn the product. Those who have problems write a higher percentage of the reviews than satisfied customers.  Are we getting an accurate perception form the forums? It appears that forum users represent less than 10% of all Logos customers.

Posts 1778
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 5:43 AM

Wesley Crouch:
1. Rename each package this might keep some tempers from flaring, although I don't give any promises there. Still it will show the new package empowers an entirely new type of dataset. (Because I am sure there will be completely new things to experience with the new software.)

I have seen this done with other software packages and this comes with it's own issues of confusion. Some may prefer this dynamic over the current dynamic, but I have experienced this and it was not all smooth sailing.  

The main thing, which I am not aware of elsewhere in the industry, is the discounts you get for stuff you already own.  Some software companies have a take it or leave it policy on packages, regardless of what you own.

The main suggestion I would make is make a bigger deal about the new datasets with some marketing splash early on. Call it the L5 scholar's data collection or something, create some virtual book covers, etc.

All this said, personally, I did not have any problem with the new package configurations and upgrades. Once I studied it, I realised the package content had been altered, the website displayed what would be new to me and what was new for L5 and I got a discount for content already owned. I was not too fussed about the day it was released and the website's performance, because I wanted to take the time to study what was on offer.  I personally think L5 is very good value even if you only do a minimum cross grade.

Logos for Mac - Wiki Page and FAQ

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS