Switching off community tags in collections

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 7 2013 10:56 AM

I've noticed in my collections views that my resources have now acquired tags that I take to have come from the community.

Thus, the Expositor's Bible Commentary has tags like commentary, commentaryexegetical, exegetical, expository, commentarypastoral.

I am wondering why some of the volumes are commentaryexegetical and others are simply exegetical? Also, volumes 1-3, 7, 10 and 12 are commentarypastoral but the rest are not.

I'm also puzzled by the tag exodus that applies to the volume on Genesis through Numbers. Since this volume is not tagged for Genesis, Leviticus or Numbers I'm wondering how I might use such tags - they clearly wouldn't give accurate results.

Also, volume 1 has a tag 'ebc' but the others don't. What would I use such a tag for?

At the moment, I can't see any use for these tags and they're confusing me so I'm wondering how to turn them off in the collections view?

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 11:20 AM

BriM ... are you REALLY suggesting the NT papyri are not 'ethics'?  I hate to even type in to see what ELSE is ethics.

EDIT: I couldn't resist. And sure enough, among many, there's a couple of the image books that are 'ethical', two hymn books (only two mind you). And of course there's my favorite 'the Church of Christ' (certainly not 'the' denominations ... if you know what I mean).

Posts 2811
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 11:21 AM

BriM:
At the moment, I can't see any use for these tags and they're confusing me so I'm wondering how to turn them off in the collections view?

Since you didn't post any screen shots of what is confusing you, I'm having to make a couple of assumptions about what you are seeing.  Given those, the simplistic thing to do is click the view button (see arrow below) and you won't see the community tags any more (assuming you don't have Community Tags up front in the list view...if you do, remove it).

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 21851
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 1:05 PM

BriM:
I am wondering why some of the volumes are commentaryexegetical and others are simply exegetical? Also, volumes 1-3, 7, 10 and 12 are commentarypastoral but the rest are not.

I'm also puzzled by the tag exodus that applies to the volume on Genesis through Numbers. Since this volume is not tagged for Genesis, Leviticus or Numbers I'm wondering how I might use such tags - they clearly wouldn't give accurate results.

Also, volume 1 has a tag 'ebc' but the others don't. What would I use such a tag for?

As these are tags that are created by Logos users it is reasonable to expect that different terms will be used and some mistagging - or tagging that doesn't match what we would do - may apply. 

BriM:

In 5.0b (currently in beta) there is a Tools Setting to enable / disable the display of community tags (and ratings as well)

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2013 1:24 PM

Right-click somewhere on the column headings and uncheck that column.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 9:17 AM

fgh:

Right-click somewhere on the column headings and uncheck that column.

they still show up in individual resources even if you uncheck the column. However, the OP's question was "How would one use it?" What was Logos' thinking for implementing such a feature? Surely they saw a huge value to it to devote resources for coding and providing it. Is it simply to aid in searching? Is this field even included in search?

I wish we had an intended use scenario or workflow included in developer notes when features like that are implemented

Posts 9962
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:17 AM

BriM:
I am wondering why some of the volumes are commentaryexegetical and others are simply exegetical? Also, volumes 1-3, 7, 10 and 12 are commentarypastoral but the rest are not. (...) At the moment, I can't see any use for these tags and they're confusing me

Since these tags are a digest of what other users used for tagging (I assume in the individual resource view, the larger text is displayed, the more users used this specific tag), don't take them as "truth" but as a suggestion for your own tagging.

I personally used the community tag "fiction" to verify whether my own taggging "fiction" was complete (I did miss tagging some Vyrso novels as fiction). I found the "fiction" tag to be reliable (but not exhaustive, i.e. something the community tagged "fiction" most surely is, whereas there may be fiction that hasn't been tagged by a high enough number of users and won't show as such in community tags.

However, even though it seems some users tag resources as "Vyrso", I don't use this since there's "edition:eBook" by Logos.

Another example:

Once I started tagging my own commentaries into technical, pastoral etc. along some of the helpful hints in the forum, but never quite completed. Now the community tags give me (again) a suggestion how to take this up and tag. It doesn't matter whether community tags show "commentaryexegetical" or "exegetical" or "comm-exeg" - the point is that these give an indication about how other users have tagged and I may use this as a suggestion - or not. So, in my opinion, this is a very helpful feature especially for those who want to structurize their library through tagging.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 10 2013 2:18 PM

NB.Mick:
don't take them as "truth" but as a suggestion for your own tagging

Thanks.  I hadn't thought of using them just as suggestions to make my own tag. That seems to be the best thing to do with them, rather than trying to use them directly.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 11 2013 5:53 AM

NB.Mick:
Since these tags are a digest of what other users used for tagging (I assume in the individual resource view, the larger text is displayed, the more users used this specific tag), don't take them as "truth" but as a suggestion for your own tagging.

Peace, Mick!

Thanks!                 Very helpful!                                                                                        *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS