How to construct a search for ways God is addressed in prayers in the OT and NT?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2013 12:34 PM

How would I do a search for ways in which God is invoked (I guess that's the vocative in Greek? Not sure about Hebrew) in prayer. I can skim through a passage list I created of many of the prayers in the Bible -- from a list I found on the Internet which isn't necessarily complete -- looking for how God is addressed (God, Father, Sovereign Lord, Lord God Almighty, Spirit, etc.) but I'd like a way to systematically find them all.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2013 12:53 PM

Rosie Perera:
How would I do a search for ways in which God is invoked (I guess that's the vocative in Greek?

No. The vocative would not necessarily work here, as the One one invokes in prayer would not necessarily be in the vocative. For example in Eph 3:14,ff. The prayer is addressed to the Father (v.14), but He is not directly addressed in the prayer.

This looks to me like one of those things that would have to be tagged manually by someone at Logos with a lot of time. I wonder if something like the speaker label filter could be used to identify the one addressed in prayer (or even speech?). That would be cool!

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 15 2013 1:29 PM

Rosie Perera:
How would I do a search for ways in which God is invoked (I guess that's the vocative in Greek? Not sure about Hebrew) in prayer.

This should be useful for the OT (no such tagging for the NT, though).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS