5.0a Service Release 4 (5.0.1.0291) available for download

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1432
LogosEmployee
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2013 5:26 PM

5.0a Service Release 4 (5.0.1.0291) is available for download.

If you have automatic updates turned on, 5.0a SR-4 will be downloaded automatically the next time your system checks for updates. To install it right away, enter the Update Now command.

Release Notes

Posts 117
luoar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 12:50 AM

This release corrects a problem with the SESB Hebrew Bible, for which I am most grateful.

rari

Posts 117
luoar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 3:43 AM

I would just like to draw Logos' attention to one of my earlier posts which reported a problem with the Information Window which has not yet been corrected. I bring this up here because this Service Release does fix a problem with the Information Window.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/63385/446395.aspx#446395

rari

Posts 0
John Sheeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:09 AM

Still no fix for the dancing tabs? I put something on the boards awhile back and was told that would be fixed in the next release. I can not do a screen capture because the tabs actually move back and forth and it doesn't happen with any particular resource. Thoughts?

Posts 4241
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:17 AM

John Sheeley:

Still no fix for the dancing tabs? I put something on the boards awhile back and was told that would be fixed in the next release. I can not do a screen capture because the tabs actually move back and forth and it doesn't happen with any particular resource. Thoughts?

Usually results from too many open tabs at the same time. It is a known issue.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 165
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 1:08 PM

Many thanks for fixing the bug that bit the tagging for the first words of verses in the SESB BHS.

Posts 0
John Sheeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 16 2013 6:16 PM

Too many open tabs? Seriously? I paid way too much money to have this happen with 5 open tabs. I realize it is a known problem, that is why I posted what I did. Trying not to be sarcastic here but that answer wasn't helpful in the slightest. Is there someone from Logos that can answer this?

Posts 277
5 Solas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:33 AM

I have the same problem -- I purchase commentaries to have them open, etc.  However, from talking with Logos Support I understand they are doing some programming - cocca I think -  that will assist in this area ....

John Sheeley:

Too many open tabs? Seriously? I paid way too much money to have this happen with 5 open tabs. I realize it is a known problem, that is why I posted what I did. Trying not to be sarcastic here but that answer wasn't helpful in the slightest. Is there someone from Logos that can answer this?

Yours In Christ

Posts 5013
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:01 AM

John Sheeley:

Actually, the problem isn't too many tabs, but a certain configuration of tabs. You may actually fix it by adding a tab to the pane! Usually, deleting or moving a tab to a different pane is all that's needed.

This has been one of those notoriously difficult bugs to track. Probably because it's dependent on screen resolution, program settings, and probably some other unknowns. As far as I know, few are able to provide specific steps to cause the problem predictably.

If you can provide specific steps to cause the problem, that would be helpful in solving this.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 277
5 Solas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:32 AM

I just received a spinning wheel with ONLY one book open -  [1] Good, J. I. (1916). The Reformed Reformation. Philadelphia, PA: The Heidelberg Press.

All my Macs are maxed out in their present configs and exceed L.5 "recommended" config.  So, while I do not know what the problem(s) is/are - it is definitely not good. This is the ONLY program that spins out, and out, and out on all my Macs ... Some work really needs to be done in this area - and it is even worse when in the original languages - which most of the time means I use another program, et. al for those studies, etc., etc., etc.

Normal.dotm 0 0 1 13 77 IIIM 1 1 94 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false

Richard DeRuiter:

John Sheeley:

Actually, the problem isn't too many tabs, but a certain configuration of tabs. You may actually fix it by adding a tab to the pane! Usually, deleting or moving a tab to a different pane is all that's needed.

This has been one of those notoriously difficult bugs to track. Probably because it's dependent on screen resolution, program settings, and probably some other unknowns. As far as I know, few are able to provide specific steps to cause the problem predictably.

If you can provide specific steps to cause the problem, that would be helpful in solving this.

Richard DeRuiter:

John Sheeley:

Yours In Christ

Posts 71
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:25 AM

John Sheeley:

We fixed a couple of causes of this problem, but it is apparent that there are other places that still have not been fixed. It would be helpful if you could tell us exactly which tabs you had open when the problem started.

Posts 0
John Sheeley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:46 AM

Thank you Andrew, will make a more detailed note of the set up next time it happens.

Posts 645
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:59 PM

Does anyone here still hold out realistic hope we will ever get properly functioning software?

I'm not trying to be crass, it's actually a real question.

Thanks.

Posts 277
5 Solas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 2:07 AM

YES, and it it is a great question.

I have been talking to Tech Support... for some time.... The fix is in on the Bible Sense Lexicon and Community Notes. From what I understand it is now in beta and should be released in a few weeks ....

Of course, these are not the only problems - having multi-books open (the above fix may effect this issue for the good), there are still shrinking windows (L.5 and L.4 go into a little box on the bottom left or right of your screen at times), etc in Macs - but Tech Support is hard at work on these and other issues ... They have followed up well (good communication, working hard (devoted to serving), pleasant and reassuring to talk too) with my reported issues ... 

I do wish these type of things were handled prior to new releases (and they do cause a lot of frustration and cause myself, and I am sure others, to have to use different software at times .... i.e. I do not need crashes during teaching ...), but Logos stands behind what they sale and in the long run will take care of us.

I look forward to the new releases of the software which will improve our operating  experience and be 100% stable on all platforms ...

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Does anyone here still hold out realistic hope we will ever get properly functioning software?

I'm not trying to be crass, it's actually a real question.

Thanks.

Yours In Christ

Posts 14836
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 2:34 AM

Andrew Batishko (Logos):

John Sheeley:

We fixed a couple of causes of this problem, but it is apparent that there are other places that still have not been fixed. It would be helpful if you could tell us exactly which tabs you had open when the problem started.

I believe this fix is going into 5.0b (it is fixed as of beta 1) but I'm guessing it did not get transferred backwards into 5.0a SR-4.

Posts 176
Phil Mills | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 3:27 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Properly functioning software? Why bother asking? Sigh. The fanboys say we already have this.

Those with more tempered optimism (this includes some of the bloggers who were once fanboys and would flame anyone who dared say the emperor needs better clothes) say some of the Logos 5 software is functioning well, some is a "work in progress."

Some more pessimistic say this software overall is mediocre to poor though it has functions that are brilliant. The company wastes effort in flash and sizzle (community ratings, for example) while neglecting undeviating focus on simplicity of function. It brings raw power to biblical books, but lacks elegance. It remains flaky in function and releases beta software forcing the users pay for the privilege of testing the program and providing feedback. 

I will repeat what I have said often: Since the program is built on a shaky foundation of MONO and .Net a very complex program like this cannot ever be satisfactory for speed and stability. But MONO is not the only problem, there is a systemic issue of discipline in design philosophy.

For most users properly functioning software means responsive, stable software, doing basic tasks easily and quickly. Properly functioning software means bing able to boot the program without apprehension. Properly functioning software means I don't have to fiddle with the Unix kernel to make it run.

By this relatively standard definition Logos is not properly functioning software and there is no indication it ever will be since the best predictor of the future is the past.

Of course, there is a more cynical definition of properly functioning software. This definition says that software is functioning properly when people are buying it and supporting it by paying for upgrades. In this model, Logos as a company seems secure. There will always be more features and the promise that the next upgrade will solve the problems not yet fixed in this version.

Posts 71
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 8:25 AM

Rosie Perera:

Andrew Batishko (Logos):

John Sheeley:

I believe this fix is going into 5.0b (it is fixed as of beta 1) but I'm guessing it did not get transferred backwards into 5.0a SR-4.

Thank you, Rosie. That is correct. Just a little version number confusion on my part.

Posts 5555
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:04 AM

Gee Phil. We're really optimistic aren't we?!

I see absolutely no issue with spending $150 or so on BIble Sense (etc) and watching it crash for the next 2 months.  I thought 'roots' were ok, until they started crashing too.

I mean, it's REALLY complicated.

Remember how long 'printing' took?

We should simply be patient, though as I understand it, most of the current workload is on Logos 6.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS