Bug: Word study missing results

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 25 2013 7:59 PM

1. Navigate to Romans 14.21

2. Select the word meat.

3. Right click on the word choose the lemma and search the entire library. I choose just the Persus Classic collection.

4. I get 919 results in 373 articles in 144 resources.

5. Now run a word study on the same word and look at the results of the classics section under textual searches. I get two. Is this correct?

Using the latest release candidate. No I am not indexing.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2013 1:25 AM

Hi Lynden

I can reproduce this and agree it doesn't seem right.

Graham 

Posts 26858
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 26 2013 1:57 PM

The BWS runs a morphological search; the right click runs an all text match all forms search.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 2:41 AM

MJ. Smith:

The BWS runs a morphological search; the right click runs an all text match all forms search.

Thanks MJ. However, if I run a morphological search on the word (see screen shot) in the Classics, how is it that I get so many hits?

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 27780
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 5:01 AM

Pardon my ignorance, Lynden… Are these bible verses in the Perseus collection? I wouldn't expect there to be any results in the ESV if they weren't.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 6:18 AM

alabama24:

Pardon my ignorance, Lynden… Are these bible verses in the Perseus collection? I wouldn't expect there to be any results in the ESV if they weren't.

I don't think Lynden's point is that there are no hits in the ESV (I think that is just how he has his search environment set up) - it is more that the Classic search from BWS doesn't find more.

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 6:28 AM

Looking at the log file after trying this search I see:

013-01-27 14:21:00.0202 1 Info PanelViewModel Navigating panel to: BibleReferenceRange=|ExpandedStates=ClearDefaults%3dtrue|MatchAllWordForms=true|MatchCase=false|
MorphReferenceRange=|MorphResourceProvider=Temporary%7cResourceIds%3dLLS:EURBAGK,LLS:PLATLAWSGK%7cTitle%3dClassics|QueryText=<lemma%20%3d%20lbs/el/κρέας>|SearchKindName=MorphSearch

This seems to suggest that the search is just executing against two resources - EURBAGK (Bacchae (Greek)) and PLATLAWSGK (Laws (Greek))

If this is the case then it explains the results we are seeing.

So the key question is how the "Classics" in BWS is / should be defined

Posts 27780
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:24 AM

I did say, "pardon my ignorance," right? Big Smile

(Hey, it's all Greek to me!)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 12:02 PM

alabama24:
I did say, "pardon my ignorance," right? Big Smile

Fair pointBig Smile

Posts 26858
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 3:27 PM

How much of Perseus do you think it tagged with Logos Greek morphology? If I wasn't feeling lazy, I would put my results in aligned view to see what mix I am actually getting of the lemma vs. inflected forms.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:36 PM

Hi Lynden

Lynden Williams:
Thanks MJ. However, if I run a morphological search on the word (see screen shot) in the Classics, how is it that I get so many hits?

Just worth noting that the search you have here is against "Perseus Classics" whereas the search generated from the BWS is for "Classics"

As per my earlier note I think this is the root of the problem.

Graham 

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:41 PM

MJ. Smith:
How much of Perseus do you think it tagged with Logos Greek morphology?

From the results we are seeing - I think, quite a few. According to the blog post announcing Perseus (http://blog.logos.com/2011/08/3000-free-perseus-books-for-logos-4/) Logos were going to include "lemma tagging" and maybe "morph tagging". Not sure if this distinction affects anything here!

The top result in Lynden's search above is from "Acharnians" and I have checked this is tagged.

MJ. Smith:
I would put my results in aligned view to see what mix I am actually getting of the lemma vs. inflected forms.

Doing this shows a variety of inflected forms being returned suggesting that it is correctly searching against the lemma.

As far as I can see the issue is still related to what resources are included in the "Classics" link on the BWS - but I could easily be wrongSmile

Posts 26858
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:47 PM

Graham Criddle:
As far as I can see the issue is still related to what resources are included in the "Classics" link on the BWS - but I could easily be wrongSmile

I suspect you are correct - we've pretty much eliminated the other likely culprits.

Posts 8066
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 11:04 AM

Lynden Williams:

3. Right click on the word choose the lemma and search the entire library. I choose just the Persus Classic collection.

5. Now run a word study on the same word and look at the results of the classics section under textual searches. I get two. Is this correct?

I can reproduce this and will have someone look into the underlying problem.

Posts 22013
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 11:09 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Lynden Williams:

I can reproduce this and will have someone look into the underlying problem.

Thanks Bradley

I think we are quite keen to see what is going on here!

Graham 

Posts 49
Mark North | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:38 AM

This brings up a connected point. How do we know ahead of time, when choosing our add-on books, how heavily they are tagged and integrated into Logos? There should be some kind of tags, or a rating of 1-5 to convey that to the consumer.

Posts 25050
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:28 PM

That is a good suggestion - probably needs to be put in the Suggestions forum as well.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS