How to do multiple lemma search in same word for Hebrew

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
geoff | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:50 PM

Ok, so I dont know all the proper terminology, but how do i search two hebrew words TOGETHER in any tense/gender/etc.

For example: i search <Lemma = wivu/he/הלך> AND <Lemma = wivu/he/ל> which returns verses that contain HALEK and L, but these results dont show words that are necessarily the SAME word but shows verses that contain both of these words. Basically i want ל+הלך or הלך+ל.

So, what is the operator to search HALEK + L and return results that show HALEK+L in the same word? (lek-leka) for example.

EDIT/ADDITION:

Also, to clarify further, the reason is because rarely will you see the ROOT hebrew word in the BHS... there are so many forms this root word can appear. So i am looking for HALEK+L (preposition) in any form. Thanks

Thanks

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 11:15 AM

Peace, geoff!                       *smile*                         Welcome to Logos Forums where volunteers from around the world try to help and encourage and inform one another.

I'm "bumping" your post because I notice that you have no responses.              I would respond; however I'm on a windows desktop              and also      I've never searched for two lemmas at the same time.

Hopefully some MAC users can give a boost!                 *smile*

Meanwhile, would using a reverse interlinear help you out in the meantime (until you hear from someone?

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 7:40 PM

geoff:
For example: i search <Lemma = wivu/he/הלך> AND <Lemma = wivu/he/ל> which returns verses that contain HALEK and L, but these results dont show words that are necessarily the SAME word but shows verses that contain both of these words. Basically i want ל+הלך or הלך+ל.

Welcome Big Smile

Wonder about Morph Search for:

lemma:הלך WITHIN 0 WORDS lemma:לְ

Note: can convert a Morph Search to Bible Search.  Logos 5 has sympathetic highlighting of search results; screen shot shows ESV.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:22 PM

This is wonderful! Thank you Keep Smiling and Milford! I think this is exactly what I'm looking for! Might as well ask, too... 

Do you know how to search that same "lemma:hlk" but only find halek that is suffixed? Like the one in Genesis 12:1?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 6:46 PM

geoff:
Do you know how to search that same "lemma:hlk" but only find halek that is suffixed? Like the one in Genesis 12:1?

Appears Genesis 12:1 has a maqqef

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5
geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 6:54 PM

You're right. It does have a maqqef. I wrongly assumed "halek" was suffixed, but it is in fact "atah" that is suffixed. 

My concern now is why Genesis 12:1 is not showing up in my lemma:hlk WITHIN 0 WORDS lemma:l search... any idea?

Thanks! :)

Posts 5
geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 29 2013 6:59 PM

To clarify, when i do that search, Gen 12:1 doesnt come up. However, the word there is L+halek forming "lek" (phonetic spellings of course.)

Shouldn't that appear in the results?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:21 AM

geoff:

To clarify, when i do that search, Gen 12:1 doesnt come up. However, the word there is L+halek forming "lek" (phonetic spellings of course.)

Shouldn't that appear in the results?

Using right click, found Genesis 12:1 has a homonym lemma so can use search:

lemma:אַתָּה WITHIN 0 WORDS lemma:לְ:1

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:58 AM

geoff:

Ok, so I dont know all the proper terminology, but how do i search two hebrew words TOGETHER in any tense/gender/etc.

So, what is the operator to search HALEK + L and return results that show HALEK+L in the same word? (lek-leka) for example.

EDIT/ADDITION:

Also, to clarify further, the reason is because rarely will you see the ROOT hebrew word in the BHS... there are so many forms this root word can appear. So i am looking for HALEK+L (preposition) in any form. Thanks

Thanks

I'm not sure what you are seeking.  Perhaps you could supply one passage where what you are seeking appears.  I could guess, but I might guess incorrectly regarding your wishes.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5
geoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 3 2013 11:27 PM

This is great! You're such an expert :) God bless and thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS