Planning to move to Logos 5 this week-Final questions

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 55
Eddie Florentino | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 28 2013 8:34 AM

I am planning to move to Logos 5 this week. I will upgrade from Scholar Gold to Diamond. Even though I already own some of collections included (Baker Commentaries, Pillar Commentaries, Berkhof collection, B.B. Warfield collection) I still believe is worth the cost based on the additional collections and commentaries sets included (Arthur Pink, AT Robertson, John Owen, John Calvin, John Bunyan, Lensky, William T. Shedd, just to mention few and all the new Greek and Hebrew resources). Logos did a great job including these collections

However I have some final questions:

1. Logos 5 will install in a separated folder from logos 4? Can I select the folder?. I have a very well structured organization in my PC and Laptop I do not want this to be altered

2. Is it recommended or necessary  to make a backup of Logos 4 resources before the upgrade. Just the resources folder. Is the download process similar to L4?

3. I still have a lot of resources with the Logos 3 lbxlls extension (Boice Commentaries, John MacArthur Commentaries and Books, among many others). What is going to happen with these resources. They will be converted, migrated. I am concern about compatibility or losing them. I use these resources almost daily

4. I have books and collections that are not any more part of any package (Nestle/Aland Greek NT with GRAMCORD, Nestle/Aland Greek NT MacRaynolds Interlinear, among many others) What will happen with this resources. I use these extensively

5. Personal Books. Do I have to recreate them again?

6. I have customized collections, layouts, etc. Are these going to be migrated also?

7. Do I have to re-install and re-download resources for mobile apps (i.e. iPad). Recommendations please

8. I will move from Win7 to Win8 by midyear (at least this is the plan). Is Logos 5 certified to work with Win8?

Thanks in advance for you help in this matter

Posts 10555
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:00 AM

Overall, I think you will be well advised to think of L5 rather as another version 4.x upgrade and addition of large resource bundle than the L3 to L4 upgrade. It's really seamlessly for nearly all users - okay, it will download some resources in the GB range and will need to index them, but other than that, no fear!

Eddie Florentino:
Logos 5 will install in a separated folder from logos 4?

No, L5 will simply overwrite some files in the L4 folder and use the same folder structure.

Eddie Florentino:
Is the download process similar to L4?

Yes

Eddie Florentino:
I still have a lot of resources with the Logos 3 lbxlls extension (Boice Commentaries, John MacArthur Commentaries and Books, among many others). What is going to happen with these resources.

these resources will be accessible as they were under L4. L5 may download some newer files, but otherwise, no issue.

Eddie Florentino:
. I have books and collections that are not any more part of any package (Nestle/Aland Greek NT with GRAMCORD, Nestle/Aland Greek NT MacRaynolds Interlinear, among many others) What will happen with this resources.

Nothing. They will be available just as before.

Eddie Florentino:
Personal Books. Do I have to recreate them again?

No, they'll behave as all the othe resources

Eddie Florentino:
I have customized collections, layouts, etc. Are these going to be migrated also?

Yes. Most will work under L5 without an issue. If you used customized visual filters for Hebrew, there may be an issue as L5 uses a different morphology for Hebrew than L4 - You'll need to see other threads for this, I'm absolulutely not into Hebrew.

Eddie Florentino:
Do I have to re-install and re-download resources for mobile apps (i.e. iPad). Recommendations please

L5 is a desktop application and this will have no impact on the mobile apps who follow their own releases.

Eddie Florentino:
I will move from Win7 to Win8 by midyear (at least this is the plan). Is Logos 5 certified to work with Win8?

I can't comment on that from perosnal experinece, but it seems other users run L5 on Win8 without issues (I think this is also the case for L4, L3 on Win8 may become troublesome).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1069
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:00 AM

I can't answer all of these for you, but I'll try to help with what I do know:

4. You keep all the resources you have a license for. You do not need to worry about losing anything. You paid for it; it's yours.

5. I have personal books built, and when I upgraded to Logos 5, they were all still there.

6. My Collections and Layouts remained as well.

7. The desktop and mobile apps are completely separate animals with their own settings. If you upgrade to Diamond though, you will be receiving a ton of new resources that you'll have available on your mobile app that are not downloaded. So if you want those, you'll have to download the books you want or hit "Download All" again to get the new ones.

Bill

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:04 AM

Hello Eddie,

Hopefully I can answer these sufficiently.

1. Logos 5 installs to the same folder. It will upgrade your previous Logos 4 files as needed.
  2. No. These will automatically upgrade, in-place, for 5.
  3. Any LDLS resources you own, which have been upgraded to the newer format, will do so automatically (and probably already have in Logos 4). Resources which have not been upgraded will remain as .LBXLLS files, but should be maintained on the server for future downloads.
  4. You older LDLS/LLS2.0 resources should be maintained on the server for future downloads. In some rare cases, certain LLS 2.0 books are not maintained, but can be scanned in from your original CD-Roms if needed. If you see them currently in Logos 4, then you don't need to be concerned.
  5. Personal Books from LDLS will need to be re-created for Logos 4/5. Personal Books made in Logos 4 should translate to 5 automatically. You may need to go back and hit the "Build Book" button again in some cases.
  6. All of your Logos 4 sync data (Notes, Layouts, Collections, etc) will migrate automatically.
  7. The mobile platform is entirely separate and requires no action. New books added to your library will simply show up automatically in the Library.
  8. Logos 5 is fully compatible with Windows 8 (we may even take advantage of multitouch-screens in the future).

Also, collections you already own, like Baker Commentaries, Pillar, etc will be automatically discounted from collection that contain them so you don't have to pay for them twice. Just be sure to log into the website before ordering, or give our knowledgeable sales staff a ring and they can help you through the whole process.

I hope this is helpful. Logos 4 to 5 is not as big a leap as 3 to 4 was. We're just adding a lot more stuff into the previous design and running it on a more powerful engine. This isn't Bicycles to Automobiles, it's more like Family Car to Sports Car.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:07 AM

Eddie Florentino:
Logos 5 will install in a separated folder from logos 4? Can I select the folder?

Logos 5 should install where Logos 4 is. Alternatively you can install it in a custom folder.

Eddie Florentino:
2. Is it recommended or necessary  to make a backup of Logos 4 resources before the upgrade. Just the resources folder. Is the download process similar to L4?

I did not backup, and yes the download is similar to Logos4.

Eddie Florentino:
3. I still have a lot of resources with the Logos 3 lbxlls extension (Boice Commentaries, John MacArthur Commentaries and Books, among many others). What is going to happen with these resources. They will be converted, migrated. I am concern about compatibility or losing them. I use these resources almost daily

Nothing. If they were being read in Logos4, then they should be read in Logos5.

Eddie Florentino:
4. I have books and collections that are not any more part of any package (Nestle/Aland Greek NT with GRAMCORD, Nestle/Aland Greek NT MacRaynolds Interlinear, among many others) What will happen with this resources. I use these extensively

You should not see any changes. Everything should work as before.

Eddie Florentino:
5. Personal Books. Do I have to recreate them again?

No.

Eddie Florentino:
I have customized collections, layouts, etc. Are these going to be migrated also?

Yes.

Eddie Florentino:
7. Do I have to re-install and re-download resources for mobile apps (i.e. iPad). Recommendations please

If Logos has updated resources then you will have to download them. No major change.

Eddie Florentino:
8. I will move from Win7 to Win8 by midyear (at least this is the plan). Is Logos 5 certified to work with Win8?

Yes, Logos will work on windows 8.

http://www.logos.com/support/logos5/windows/install for more installations.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 5:30 PM

Eddie,

If you are seriously thinking then first check out this: http://www.logos.com/videos

it may or may not help you to decide….I have not seen it mentioned yet, but then I have been busy doing other things [I’m so lazy]

Hope this helps

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 55
Eddie Florentino | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:10 PM

Thanks NB.Mick for the explanations

Posts 55
Eddie Florentino | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:11 PM

Thank you every body (NB. Mick, William, Mike, Lynden) for the explanations and clarifications,

Posts 1357
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 28 2013 7:12 PM

Be sure to click on the CUSTOMIZE button to see other great resources available to those upgrading at great prices.

Posts 55
Eddie Florentino | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:12 PM

Just completed the upgrade from L4 Gold to L5 Diamond...everything just worked fine...very happy with all the collections and resources......the only disappointment is that GUI is just too opaque...is there a way to make the interface little more alive Smile

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 2 2013 6:09 AM

Eddie Florentino:

Just completed the upgrade from L4 Gold to L5 Diamond...everything just worked fine...very happy with all the collections and resources......the only disappointment is that GUI is just too opaque...is there a way to make the interface little more alive Smile

Glad it all went well, which attests to the fact that Logos has their act together. As for your interface comment.  I would say this is a very subjective request. I'm not sure what you mean by "more alive".  You do have option to change fonts and color of text, etc.  You can underline, highlight, capitalize, cross out, add big exclamation points and so much more, all in various colors. You can customize your screen in any way you like. So have some fun changing your opaque interface to your own "alive" interface.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS