Frustrating search limitation

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 133
David Matthew | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:44 AM

I have Tom Wright's Surprised By Hope in my Logos library and want to search it for every mention of 'heaven*' using the Basic search. To my dismay it's apparently not possible!

I can limit a search to a collection, so the only way to achieve my aim, I guess, is to create a new collection with that one book in it, then search it. But then I'd have to delete the collection afterwards - and follow the same laborious procedure every time I want to search a single book.

Have I got a blind-spot and missed something?

Posts 5260
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:59 AM

David Matthew:

erm... have you tried right-click "Search this resource"?

EDIT:

running Logos 5.3 Beta 2 (Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - Win7 Home 32bit & Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 8263
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 6:00 AM

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 16151
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 6:03 AM

David Matthew:

I think so. I think there may also be a bug, or at least a needed improvement. Here is what I just did:

1. I opened a search box to a basic search.
  2. I looked at my options, and remembered that you can choose an "open" resource.
  3. I opened "Surprised by Hope"
  4. I looked for it in the "open resources" but it wasn't there.
  5. I started typing the name in the "search in" box, and the book appeared.
  6. I closed the search window and opened a new one… the book was now listed in "open resources"

To search just a single book, you can type the book into the "search in" field, OR you can choose it from the "open resources" section… but the resource must be open BEFORE you open the search panel.

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 5260
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 6:06 AM

Just for the curious: it's 325 hits in 50 articles when "match all word forms" is turned on and includes e.g."heavenly"

running Logos 5.3 Beta 2 (Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - Win7 Home 32bit & Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 5260
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 6:09 AM

alabama24:
I think there may also be a bug, or at least a needed improvement ....the resource must be open BEFORE you open the search panel.

Did you see fgh's reply? Works - for me, i.e. 5.0b RC on Win7 - without opening the resource first.

Posts 8461
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:48 AM

NB.Mick:
Did you see fgh's reply? Works - for me, i.e. 5.0b RC on Win7 - without opening the resource first.

Also works on 5.0b RC-1 Mac on OS 10.7.5 Geeked

Posts 16151
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:00 AM

NB.Mick:

But y'all are on beta. Wink

Hopefully this is a bug or regression that was fixed. 

Posts 6396
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:07 AM

That's a nifty little piece of information (the search book drop down).

I constantly forget it's presence. So instead I switch over to Libronix to check my library. Of course I'm talking about only searching in the title name (I get exhausted typing 'Title:xxxx' in the Logos4/5 library). Yes, I'm nutty.

Posts 8461
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:10 AM

alabama24:

No guts; no bug fix Big Smile

Posts 8263
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:36 AM

alabama24:

I'm not on beta, and I do see the bug, but my screenshots weren't made searching Open Resources, they were made typing part of the title in the box. You don't need the resource open for that. Your method works (apart from the bug), but mine is faster.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 16151
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:52 AM

fgh:
Your method works (apart from the bug), but mine is faster.

Your method is also my method Smile

alabama24:
To search just a single book, you can type the book into the "search in" field, OR you can choose it from the "open resources" section… but the resource must be open BEFORE you open the search panel.

If the resource is open already, however, I think the "open resources" menu would be a second or two faster… especially if the user is apt to mispel. Stick out tongue

Posts 8263
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:10 AM

alabama24:
Your method is also my method Smile

You're right. I actually saw that, but then you all started discussing the Open Resources bug, so I forgot it again.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 16151
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 9:16 AM

fgh:
You're right. I actually saw that, but then you all started discussing the Open Resources bug, so I forgot it again.

Sometimes that happens to me in the same post. Smile

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:30 PM

To all of you!                               Peace and Joy!

Thank you so much, especially fgh and Mick and Alabama, for one of the most fantastic threads I've seen in a long, long time!

This will serve me personally very, very greatly in the future!         I hate to keep on using the word "incredible"; however this is what Logos Bible Software is becoming!      Wow!  When one begins to combine all these new possibilities!              *smile*

And, David, I hope you will be pleasantly surprised indeed when you return to this thread!         Kindest personal greetings!               I remember very well your very welcome and helpful and positive involvement in Logos Bible Software Community in the "old days," especially in the old Logos Newsgroups!

Please continue to visit the Forums!          *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:23 PM

I agree with Milford. Thank you all for a really helpful reply.  Almost like I was watching a training video, only I MAY actually remember this, because it is so incredibly helpful.

thanks to all!

Windows PC - Android Phone - Nexus 7 Tablet

Posts 15671
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 10:16 PM

alabama24:

David Matthew:

I think so. I think there may also be a bug, or at least a needed improvement. Here is what I just did:

1. I opened a search box to a basic search.
  2. I looked at my options, and remembered that you can choose an "open" resource.
  3. I opened "Surprised by Hope"
  4. I looked for it in the "open resources" but it wasn't there.
  5. I started typing the name in the "search in" box, and the book appeared.
  6. I closed the search window and opened a new one… the book was now listed in "open resources"

I couldn't reproduce this on 5.0b RC-1, Win 7. "Suprised by Hope" was listed under "Open Resources" the first time I dropped down the "Search In" menu in the Basic Search tab after opening "Surprised by Hope".

And on another session starting from scratch (without Surprised by Hope open) I was able to limit my search to just this book by typing it into the "Search In" box and it appeared.

Am I missing something, David, about how you were trying to go about this? Or is it possibly configuration-specific?

Posts 8263
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:06 PM

Rosie Perera:
I couldn't reproduce this on 5.0b RC-1, Win 7.

That's because, a) the bug only appears if you open the resource after you open the Search panel, and b) it seems to be fixed in 5.0b.

Milford Charles Murray:
Thank you so much, especially fgh and Mick and Alabama, for one of the most fantastic threads I've seen in a long, long time!

I actually find that statement depressing. If pointing out that there's a Search In box, and referring someone to the right-click menu, is enough to create "one of the most fantastic threads I've seen in a long, long time", that really says something about how utterly unintuitive Logos is. 

Not to talk about the bug. "Fantastic" for me would be just half an hour on Logos without encountering one single bug. Not sure that has ever happened.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 2:18 PM

fgh:

Milford Charles Murray:

I actually find that statement depressing. If pointing out that there's a Search In box, and referring someone to the right-click menu, is enough to create "one of the most fantastic threads I've seen in a long, long time", that really says something about how utterly unintuitive Logos is. 

Not to talk about the bug. "Fantastic" for me would be just half an hour on Logos without encountering one single bug. Not sure that has ever happened.

Peace, fgh!                             I DO indeed hope that you might have that "Fantastic" experience!             *smile*              I'm in my late 70's and don't get negatively excited very much anymore  by bugs and things that are unintuitive!                       Sometimes even "learning curves" do not vex me!             

In the year 2012 I came close to death twice, once according to a Critical-Care doctor by a few minutes.  So, since I've had a complete recovery and am even in better condition than before I had my medical difficulties, I find the new life God has given me quite exhilarating and truly exciting in a very positive sense.  

Therefore, having experienced so much in so many fields and so many places with so many people in so many experiences in my decades-long perambulations in this world, I still find myself excited by an idea, the fragrance of a flower, the shy smile of a fellow traveler on the journey, the glow of a star-lit but moonless sky over a snowy field, and myriads of other wonders that the world is filled with, including the fantastic Logos Bible Software Program with my over 7,000 resources that frees me in my studies, even though I grant you ---    it may be unintuitive sometimes.   

I do thank you and bless you, fgh, for all the good help and support you've given fellow forum members over the years!             *smile* 

That's what I meant by "fantastic," and I think now I might have chosen indeed a better word!

Philippians 1:21-23

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS