Highlighting / Tools Suggestion

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 49
Mark North | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:41 PM

Noob here! I am two weeks old in Logos land.

But I have about 20 years messing with computers. Anything from building a computer, board by board from the ground up, to writing software (years ago) and operating them since the mid 90s. I've used a lot of software. So I will admit, a  certain look and feel is part of my presuppositions here.

My computer isn't slow. It takes too long for the highlighting tool to come up!

Remember noob...but that is important too - ease of use....

After making a mistake highlighting, it isn't easy to figure out how. My problems here

a) you call this tool/operation "highlighting" in one tab/pane and refer to the same thing as annotation when doing a right click on the highlighted text. I figured this out by accident. That's not a good sign of ease of use.

b) I mistakenly used the tool that highlights the text. I intended to change the background. In the highlighting screen, I could find no way of turning things off, in the same place where I turned them on. That's a no no. Also, in desperation, I would have been happy to have just changed the highlighted text back to black, but that was offered at all.

c) I discussed the lack of speed

d) these tools should not only be buried in a nested menu. Tools like this and bookmarks might be nice as little icons on the top of the program somewhere - like the icons in a word processor. This would make transition a lot faster.

I don't want to only "complain". I LOVE THIS THING! If I was just smart enough to use it! I know it has so much under the hood that I haven't even come close to unlocking yet.

Posts 49
Mark North | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:43 PM

typo

should be

After making a mistake highlighting, it isn't easy to figure out how turn it off. My problems are here:

Posts 1870
Forum MVP
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:48 PM

With the highlighting palette open select the text you wish to take the highlight style off (but you want to select one or two words extra on each side). Then at the top of the highlighting palette on the right hand side there is an erase button, click that.

Posts 49
Mark North | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:07 PM

I missed that. Thank you.

I was expanding all the tools there, expecting to find that function under each section. What they did makes sense, when you finally get there, but with these old eyes, I guess it wasn't visible to me.

I guess I need my erase button highlighted. Stick out tongue

Posts 8152
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 1:46 AM

Mark North:
It takes too long for the highlighting tool to come up!

You will soon learn that pretty much everything in Logos takes too long to come up. That said, the Highlighting panel is one of the faster things to come up on my computer.

You can speed it up a little by dragging it from the Tools menu to the Shortcut bar right of the Command box and opening it from there. (Books, layouts and commands can also be dragged there -- which I guess answers your d).)

Mark North:
you call this tool/operation "highlighting" in one tab/pane and refer to the same thing as annotation when doing a right click on the highlighted text.

That's because it's not "the same thing". Both Notes and Highlighting are annotations, and both will disappear if you Remove Annotations.

Mark North:
I could find no way of turning things off

There are at least four ways to get rid of a highlight:

1. Right-click > Remove annotations.
  2. Hightlighting > Erase
  3. Shift-Cmd/Ctrl-K
  4. Locate it in the file it is stored in, and erase it from there

Philana Crouch:
With the highlighting palette open select the text you wish to take the highlight style off (but you want to select one or two words extra on each side). Then at the top of the highlighting palette on the right hand side there is an erase button, click that.

Selecting the text is only necessary if you use the Erase button or the shortcut. If you right-click, nothing needs to be selected, as long as you click on the correct highlight. That means the methods can be used for different purposes. If you have a very long highlight, method 1 is going to be fastest. If you want to erase just part of a highlight, you need method 2 or 3. If you need to erase one highlight without disturbing another one on the same words, only method 4 will do.

I hope you have learnt to highlight with the Highlighting panel closed, using just one shortcut key. I also hope you've thought about what file to send your highlights to, because it's an awful lot of work if you want to move them later.

Mark North:
it has so much under the hood that I haven't even come close to unlocking yet.

The best way to learn is through the http://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/videos/.

Mark North:

typo

should be

More > Edit lets you edit a post for about 10 hours or so. Delete only works a few minutes, and only if no one has answered.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS