Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 49
Mark North | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:57 PM

I would like to be able to change the order of the individual notes in my clippings after they all have been dumped in there.I don't want to have to export to do this.

I would like to illustrate those clipping with jpgs. The illustrations could have bibliography too.

You've given me a way to comment on each item in a clipping. I would rather be able to put my own text in between the notes in my own little text box. The individual notes I've dragged and dropped into my clippings, or by adding by using "add clipping" look best when they are left untouched - just like the source. That's just one of the reasons I want my notes to be separate.

Posts 1870
Forum MVP
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:04 PM

Mark North:

I would like to illustrate those clipping with jpgs. The illustrations could have bibliography too.

Clippings don't have pictures because their purpose is to act like index cards. The server that backs your Clippings up would be overloaded. You can create a Personal Books with notes and pictures that can be added to Logos 5. Go to the wiki.logos.com and search for personal book.

As to Bibliography you can. Click on the paper clip in the Clippings document. One option should be to Save as a Bibliography. This bibliography can be printed or exported to other documents (Word ect.).

Posts 49
Mark North | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:16 PM

I never intended my stuff to be on somebodies server.

I am not a fan of cloud technology. And here's just one reason.

I have plenty of storage here locally, but somebodies cloud is going to limit what I do. I make my own backups.

Before I spent money on Logos, I was not aware that any of my personal activities, writings, highlightings and such, were all going to be recorded, tracked, backed-up, and used for statistics, or that the same technology was going to stifle my creativity. Only after I am into this thing do I find these things out.

Posts 1870
Forum MVP
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:28 PM

Mark North:

the same technology was going to stifle my creativity.

I don't think it has to stifle your creativity...its just a matter of using the right tool. Personal books would allow you to have quotes w/links and pictures if you want to add.

As to back-up on a cloud. The ability to sync facilitates two things. The ability for our documents to be accessed on our mobile devices. Second, we are also able to share our notes and other documents with each other if we wish.

You can go into Program settings and tell it not to send statistics (even though they are anonymous).

If you are interested in learning more about Personal Books, check out http://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books for more info.

Posts 13701
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 30 2013 6:20 PM

Mark North:
That's just one of the reasons I want my notes to be separate.

I'm not sure I understand. Clippings and Notes are separate, although you can add a note to a clipping much as you can add a note to your Guides.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8147
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 31 2013 12:11 AM

MJ. Smith:
I'm not sure I understand. Clippings and Notes are separate

I'm pretty sure he means he wants to make his notes between Clippings, instead of 'on' them.

Mark North:

I would like to be able to change the order of the individual notes in my clippings after they all have been dumped in there.

(...)

You've given me a way to comment on each item in a clipping. I would rather be able to put my own text in between the notes in my own little text box. The individual notes I've dragged and dropped into my clippings, or by adding by using "add clipping" look best when they are left untouched - just like the source. That's just one of the reasons I want my notes to be separate.

You're calling things by different names than we are used to here, which makes it hard for people to understand what you're saying, so let's start with that:

A Clippings file (or document) has one or more individual Clippings (not 'notes'). To each of these Clippings it is possible to add a Note (not 'comment').

You can change the order by clicking-and-dragging.

I haven't used Clippings much myself, but I'm not sure notes between clippings would be such a good idea. If you dragged the Clipping to another place, it's note wouldn't automatically follow, so not only would it be twice as much work to move them both, you also risk forgetting it and ending up with a file where you no longer know what Clipping various notes belong to.

I think the ability to make headings and subheadings has been asked for, though, and I can see the use for that. 

Mark North:

I am not a fan of cloud technology. (...) I make my own backups.

I hate Logos' Big Brother mentality and complete lack of respect for our privacy and ownership of our own work. That said, be aware that your private backup may not be as useful as you believe it is, given how Logos is coded.

Philana Crouch:
You can go into Program settings and tell it not to send statistics

Not really. That just turns off the irrelevant stuff. Anything truly private is harvested anyway. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS