What about an Eastern Orthodox package (similar to Verbum)?

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 2:58 PM

David Ames:

It took two years from the manager being hired till Verbum came out. Shall we give the new added managers equal time? 

We Orthodox tend to move slow, but I'll try not to be that slow.

Keep supporting Orthodox Logos resources, and everything will work out. Wink

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 36
Rhonda Dodson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 3:19 PM

Publish it (Orthodox resources) & they (Orthodox) will come ;-)

Posts 2726
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 5:07 PM

Gabe Martini:

David Ames:

It took two years from the manager being hired till Verbum came out. Shall we give the new added managers equal time? 

We Orthodox tend to move slow, but I'll try not to be that slow.

Things take time - We are talking about a complete set of packages: Yes, resources but also blogs, settings, collections, separate web sites ...

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2013 6:05 PM

I like the way you think, David!

Faithlife

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 9:34 AM

Gabe Martini:
Apologies for any confusion. This went up before all rights research had been complete.

Sad

David Ames:
It took two years from the manager being hired till Verbum came out.

More like 1,5. And the Catholic Library Builder took less than six months, I believe.

Gabe Martini:

That's just the problem. I supported most Catholic resources, and as a result I lost a lot of money compared to if I'd ignored them in prepub and got them through Capstone instead. I'd love to support Orthodox resources, but I just can't afford to pay $10-50/volume for books that then show up in a package or bundle for $1-2/volume a year or two later. I can pretty much promise to buy the package, once you've got one, but I'm going to have to be far more restrictive with prepubs than I had the sense to be with Catholic ones.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2726
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2013 7:18 PM

fgh:

David Ames:
It took two years from the manager being hired till Verbum came out.

More like 1,5. And the Catholic Library Builder took less than six months, I believe.

The first post by Andrew Jones, the Catholic Products Manager, that I found was Jun 14, 2011; in it he said 'hello'.
Catholic Library builder was selling before Oct 26, 2011 - four months
Verbum Capstone was selling before Nov 6, 2012 - 17 months

[I have got to stop estimating - I get caught every time -  or maybe I was just giving the new managers more time?] 

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 10:21 AM

You guys are killing me (financially) with all these works, most of which I have in print or have had at least.

I just ordered the Patriarchal New Testament which I have in print. Sigh, I couldn't resist, but I'm not telling my wife I ordered it. eeeeh.

Ergatees

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 11:06 AM

Ergatees:

You guys are killing me (financially) with all these works, most of which I have in print or have had at least.

I just ordered the Patriarchal New Testament which I have in print. Sigh, I couldn't resist, but I'm not telling my wife I ordered it. eeeeh.

Ergatees

I appreciate your daring dedication. Keep watching for more Orthodox works today. Smile

Faithlife

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 1:54 PM

Dan O'Day:

PATr needs to be in Logos, hands down. It's the authoritative Greek New Testament for Byzantine Christians, and the electronic edition is already tagged with morphology and available on Kindle but needs to be in Logos so I can use it with my other resources.

[...]

• Works by Zizioulas

At least for two of these, I have now delivered. Smile

Now on Pre-Pub:

Others newly on CP (as of today):

More to come! Thanks for being patient with me.

Faithlife

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 9:24 PM

Gabe Martini:
The Travels of Macarius, Patriarch of Antioch (2 vols.)
Nice. He produced an Arabic translation of the 'book of the bee' (by a certain Nestorian bishop named Solomon); a liberal translation with possible additions, quite interesting stuff.

Not enough Arabic knowing customers in your current market demographic? well then, how about this translation of the 'book of the bee' to English then? Not Orthodox? I know, but eastern at least Smile

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 31 2013 9:38 PM

Sleiman:

Gabe Martini:
The Travels of Macarius, Patriarch of Antioch (2 vols.)
Nice. He produced an Arabic translation of the 'book of the bee' (by a certain Nestorian bishop named Solomon); a liberal translation with possible additions, quite interesting stuff.

Not enough Arabic knowing customers in your current market demographic? well then, how about this translation of the 'book of the bee' to English then? Not Orthodox? I know, but eastern at least Smile

Consider it done.

Faithlife

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 1 2013 4:25 AM

Gabe Martini:
Consider it done.
Awesome!

Gabe, I love you Big Smile. You're now officially competing with Andrew for the rank of 'my favourite logos guy'

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 9:53 AM

Sleiman:
Gabe Martini:
Consider it done.

Awesome!

Indeed.

Gabe, have you seen this old thread: Suggestion: an Eastern Christian Studies Collection? It's got some suggestions you probably already have on your list and some you may not have, but what makes it unique is that it also includes a number of Eastern Rite Catholic suggestions. I hope you and Andrew can cooperate on making sure that area gets covered, and that it doesn't fall between the chairs. (I'm sure Sleiman hopes so even more.Big Smile)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:00 AM

fgh:

Sleiman:
Gabe Martini:
Consider it done.

Awesome!

Indeed.

Gabe, have you seen this old thread: Suggestion: an Eastern Christian Studies Collection? It's got some suggestions you probably already have on your list and some you may not have, but what makes it unique is that it also includes a number of Eastern Rite Catholic suggestions. I hope you and Andrew can cooperate on making sure that area gets covered, and that it doesn't fall between the chairs. (I'm sure Sleiman hopes so even more.Big Smile)

Just from a quick glance, I can say that many of those are in the works or on their way. I'll check to make sure I have all of those on my master list.

In general, I will not be discriminating beween Byzantine Catholic, Orthodox, Oriental, Assyrian/Nestorian/Armenian, etc., but am looking to carry resources from all of these traditions "of the East."

Faithlife

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 2:25 PM

fgh:
Gabe, have you seen this old thread: Suggestion: an Eastern Christian Studies Collection? It's got some suggestions you probably already have on your list and some you may not have, but what makes it unique is that it also includes a number of Eastern Rite Catholic suggestions.
fgh, thanks for referring to that post, I haven't seen it before and I agree they are good suggestions. There are [many] other works that are as or more important/critical to eastern rite Catholics (of the different traditions: Byzantine, Syriac, etc). Many did not even make it to the English language yet. I'm so tempted to start a suggestion list now but will instead refrain for the time being and let the dust settle a little (if it ever will!).
fgh:
I hope you and Andrew can cooperate on making sure that area gets covered, and that it doesn't fall between the chairs. (I'm sure Sleiman hopes so even more.Big Smile)
Absolutely Smile. It seems that the virtue of patience will pay off since a) Gabe seems to be enthusiastic enough to kick start a new wave of 'eastern' resources being made available (we just have to watch and see, right Gabe?) and b) If a lot of very attractive resources become available at the same time, it will be very hard for me to catch up with all the good stuff on pre-pub and CP, that I have to let some go; which would be sad. So I'm just going to play the wait and see game. However, if things start to look like some are 'falling between the chairs', you will definitely hear/see me say something about that Wink

Gabe it would be appreciated if you can give us a hint whether there are plans to have eastern resources eventually conglomerate into bundles that are going to be discounted (like the Catholic Studies or Archaelogy bundles, not necessarily base packages or a full fledged Verbum equivalent) or is it too early to tell?

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 3 2013 6:25 PM

Sleiman:

Gabe it would be appreciated if you can give us a hint whether there are plans to have eastern resources eventually conglomerate into bundles that are going to be discounted (like the Catholic Studies or Archaelogy bundles, not necessarily base packages or a full fledged Verbum equivalent) or is it too early to tell?

That is our goal, but it all depends upon two factors:

1. How well received are these early Orthodox works/collections by our current Logos users?
  2. Which Orthodox publishers are interested in partnering with Logos?

There are certain bundles or base packages for the Orthodox market that would depend upon us getting the right books from the right people. I'll continue to do my best to get everything of quality that's out there.

If you ever have any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to email me: gabe.martini@logos.com 

Faithlife

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Gabe.

I was thinking about how I was convinced of the value of Logos (before Verbum was introduced). As a bible software, there are many others so that was not the deciding factor. For me the availability of Catholic resources did it for me. Essential to me at first were the Catechism, the Church Fathers and Council documents. (I'm still waiting on the GIRM and the breviary).

The following list of essentials for the Orthodox as well as the eastern Catholic rites is a start :

Liturgical books: 

• Euchologion
  • Horologion
  • Oktoechos
  • Common, monthly and feast day menaions
  • The Lenten Triodion, the Pentecostarion, the Eirmologion, and the Typicon

Orthodox lectionary(ies)

Collected Akathists

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:55 AM

Gabe Martini:
If you ever have any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to email me:
Gabe, you may want to edit your post and 'codify' your email so as spam robots do not pick it up.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:12 AM

Sleiman:

Thanks for the reply Gabe.

I was thinking about how I was convinced of the value of Logos (before Verbum was introduced). As a bible software, there are many others so that was not the deciding factor. For me the availability of Catholic resources did it for me. Essential to me at first were the Catechism, the Church Fathers and Council documents. (I'm still waiting on the GIRM and the breviary).

The following list of essentials for the Orthodox as well as the eastern Catholic rites is a start :

Liturgical books: 

• Euchologion
  • Horologion
  • Oktoechos
  • Common, monthly and feast day menaions
  • The Lenten Triodion, the Pentecostarion, the Eirmologion, and the Typicon

Orthodox lectionary(ies)

Collected Akathists

You seem to be thinking exactly what I've been thinking all along. Wink

There are a lot of hurdles when it comes to getting rights to these works (in English), but I'm working hard as I can to get all of these in the Logos ecosystem.

I can say that a few of these will be on CP in the near future.

Okay, no more secrets. Ya'll will just have to get back to guessing. (I said "ya'll," so now you know I'm from the south)

Faithlife

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:17 AM

Sleiman:

Gabe Martini:
If you ever have any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to email me:
Gabe, you may want to edit your post and 'codify' your email so as spam robots do not pick it up.

So that's why I just got a long email from someone named "David Ames?"

Wink

Faithlife

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS