NIV 1984 Anglicised "Version"

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1878
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:39 PM

Ok, so what's the difference between this NIV 1984 $9.95 version of Logos and the one Zondervan doesn't want to sell anymore? It has as a sample Genesis 15, I opened my Zondervan NIV 1984 and it reads the same.  I'm just wondering why all the hassle over not selling it before.

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 2373
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:01 PM

Its all about international rights (yawn - protecting their back yard) to sell the NIV Hodder and Staughton hold the UK rights to the NIV, Zondervan hold most of rest of world, and rarely do they allow each others products to be sold..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 154
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 12:26 AM

This is good news. Smile

Does it imply that the resource will be updated to include speech visual filter? reverse interlinear? etc.

And what of anglicised 2011 NIV?

Posts 601
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:04 AM

DAL:
Ok, so what's the difference between this NIV 1984 $9.95 version of Logos and the one Zondervan doesn't want to sell anymore?

Concern for clear and natural English—that the New International Version should be idiomatic but not idiosyncratic, contemporary but not dated—motivated the translators and consultants. At the same time, they tried to reflect the differing styles of the biblical writers. In view of the international use of English, the translators sought to avoid obvious Americanisms on the one hand and obvious Anglicisms on the other. A British edition reflects the comparatively few differences of significant idiom and of spelling.

The Holy Bible: New International Version—Anglicised. 1984 (electronic edition.). London: Hodder & Stoughton.

So we get words like armour and colour spelt correctly, otherwise it is the same Bible. Main use that I make of the copy in Logos is generating word searches.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 7702
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:41 AM

BriM:

Does it imply that the resource will be updated to include speech visual filter? reverse interlinear? etc.

And what of anglicised 2011 NIV?

It's extremely unlikely that the 1984 Anglicised NIV will be updated with reverse interlinear info etc. It doesn't have any of the underlying tagging to make this possible, and I can't imagine there's much incentive for Logos to add it.

The difference is mostly spelling, but also some Americanisms have been removed. So, for example, Mark 2:23 reads

One Sabbath Jesus was going through the cornfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some ears of corn.

Instead of

One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields‌, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads‌ of grain‌.

Posts 415
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 8:43 AM

Does anyone else think it's strange that you need an American version and an Anglicised version of the New International Version?

Posts 506
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:31 AM

This is very interesting!

I already have this?

The Anglicised NIV 2011 most be coming soon...

Strange the British publishers are happy to sell 1984 but Zondervan are not.

P A

Posts 506
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:38 AM

I would encourage you to get it while you can!

Because once the Anglicised  NIV 2011 appears the Anglicised 1984  may be withdrawn from sale.

P A

Posts 506
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:40 AM

What next?

Anglicised ESV

P A Yes

Posts 1531
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:42 AM

P A:

The Anglicized NIV 2011 most be coming soon...

Strange the British publishers are happy to sell 1984 but Zondervan are not.

Maybe Zondervan is not allowed to sell the 1984 but as there is no 2011 Anglicized  Staughton is allowed to - until the 2011 is Anglicized and the door closes?

Posts 506
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:50 AM

The Anglicised 2011 is here and it is the only edition that HODDER now publish!

That is why it is so strange.

Get 1984 while you can...

P A

Posts 506
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 11:11 AM

See this

http://hodderbibles.co.uk/about-niv

PA

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS