Suggested reading list re: liturgy and catholicism for Luigi Sam and other interested people

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 12335
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:26 PM

This list includes nothing that is Roman Catholic in the sense Luigi Sam uses the term.

Prayer by Richard Foster - a good introduction to liturgical prayer

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster - a good introduction to spiritual disciplines

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - a good introduction to logic and what words mean

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - a study in social ethics

The Way of the Pilgrim by Olga Savin and Father Thomas Hopko - a study in Christian growth

The Psalms through Three Thousand Years by William Holliday - use of psalms in worship, Jewish and Christian

To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book by Hayim H. Donin - liturgy as way of life

Jesus Through the Centuries: His Place in the History of Culture and Mary Through the Centuries: Her Place in the History of Culture by Jaroslav Pelikan- church history made enjoyable

Soul Making: The Desert Way of Spirituality by Alan W. Jones - not really introductory but presents a very catholic spirituality in a contemporary way

and cheating to add one Catholic convert book:

The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn to explore the heavenly liturgy as described in Revelation

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 280
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:50 PM

Hi MJ,

Thanks,

Just letting you know I seen it , and I will save your post above.

Posts 645
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 4:59 AM

What a great list MJ!

I have to wondert if Hahn still gets a thrill each time someone lists his work with Pelikan!

Wonderful list.

Posts 1147
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 5:47 AM

Very good list.  But maybe it would be wise to include some from other eras as well.  I know that the Martyrdom of Polycarp (in any collection of the "Apostolic Fathers" still blows my mind, and you do not have to scratch that far to see how it is rooted in the lived prayer and worship of the church.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 1391
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 6:34 AM

Ken McGuire:

Very good list.  But maybe it would be wise to include some from other eras as well.  I know that the Martyrdom of Polycarp (in any collection of the "Apostolic Fathers" still blows my mind, and you do not have to scratch that far to see how it is rooted in the lived prayer and worship of the church.

SDG

Ken McGuire

Ante-Nicene Fathers, vol. 1: Apostolic Fathers, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus (eds. Roberts, Donaldson, Coxe)

Under: Polycarp of Smyrna

Titled:  The Encyclical Epistle of the Church at Smyrnam (Martyrdom of Polycarp)

Page 37

Posts 645
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 7:15 AM

Amen to Polycarp! Justin the Martyr dialogue as well.

Posts 12335
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 11 2013 12:11 PM

Ken McGuire:
it would be wise to include some from other eras as well.

Generally I would have. But I'd set two rules for myself when I offered to create the list - non-Catholic Logos resources. As you can see, I ignored the Logos part when I tried to tailor the list to what LS seemed to need - enjoyable, non-confrontational reading that raises the important issues. Getting people to ask the question is more important than giving an answer to a question not asked.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS