Bible scrolling slow down when linked to commentary without all books available

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 404
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 24 2009 10:59 AM

Recently, I experienced significant slow down when scrolling Bibles in certain books. I had a lot of frustration before discovering the cause.

It turns out that I had a link to the UBS Handbook that does include all the books of the Bible. At every scroll it appears to be searching for that missing resource.

Lesson learned. If you link a Bible to a commentary that consists of separate files for each book and that commentary does does not have that particular book of the Bible, then scrolling of the Bible in that book will become very slow.

I post this, because it took me a lot of time to figure out why scrolling had become so slow suddenly in my Bible reading. It made Bible reading virtually unusuable becuase of the delays.

This really is a bug that needs to be fixed. The casual user might never figure this out, and become disenchanted with Logos.

Posts 404
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 24 2009 11:00 AM

Should read 'the UBS Handbook does NOT include all the books of the BIble."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 24 2009 11:11 AM

Danny Parker:
Lesson learned. If you link a Bible to a commentary that consists of separate files for each book and that commentary does does not have that particular book of the Bible, then scrolling of the Bible in that book will become very slow.

I have found that linking a Bible to any but the smallest commentaries (e.g., study Bibles, and commentaries that contain no more than about a paragraph per verse) will degrade performance. My practice is to choose my passage and then sync my commentaries and immediately un-sync them.

You are right that multi-volume commentaries are problematic, but even one volume commentaries (e.g. Matthew Henry) can cause the system to 'stutter' as one moves through the verses.

Maybe version 4 will address this issue.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 404
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 24 2009 11:22 AM

Agreed.

I may link to a single study bible for quick comments but stay away from larger resources. The exception was that I had found UBS especially useful and not very much a problem with stutter and had linked to it without any issues until this recent discovery.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 24 2009 12:03 PM

I noticed the also problem occurs when I scroll through non-versified sections of the bible, like the book title and introduction, even when I have coverage for the whole bible.  It must be looking for an invalid bible reference in all the books in my serial association for every movement of the scroll bar, and so is doing a lot of processing for nothing.

I have to be careful not to scroll past the first or last verse of a book when I'm linked linked to a commentary in my large serial association, unless I want to wait 5 or 10 seconds for it to stop thinking.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 24 2009 1:09 PM

I found that problem long time ago and wrote about it already in the newsgroups. My experience however is that the only thing that slows down the scrolling significantly is missing Bible book in the commentary serial association. I haven't noticed that the length of the paragraphs on certain verses would cause also any problems.

The only other thing I know is when you have a large pbb book, made of one HTML (especially pbb Bibles) also slows down the system very much. Then, for example, if you are at the end of a long file like Psalms, the scrolling goes very slow. If linked to other Bibles or commentaries, it slows all the system badly. It is caused by the way how the pbb books are done. It is not the same with the original libronix books. At least that's how it works on my system.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS