Theological leaning of Eerdmans Companion to the Bible?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 12 2013 5:07 AM

How would You theologically and/or denominationally define the leaning of: The Eerdmans Companion to the Bible? And is it really good? I have somewhat much commentaries, and I'm satisfied with the 1985 Harper's Bible Dictionary. It's a bit hard to tell what exactly will be required in college, as I haven't asked the professors about specific volumes.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:06 AM

• Gordon Fee = Assemblies of God
  • Robert L. Hubbard, Jr. = Evangelical Covenant Church
  • Connie Gundry Tappy = Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 9:45 AM

Hubbard taught at an Evangelical Covenant Church seminary, but he is ordained by the Evangelical Free Church of America.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:41 AM

I was just pointing to the three editor's current denominational affiliations.

While it is true that he was ordained by the Evangelical Free Church of America, Professor Robert L. Hubbard, Jr. has served North Park Theological Seminary as Professor of Biblical Literature since 1995.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 270
KJ Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:30 PM

Unix congratulations on deciding to so some formal studies.

Those studies will really help you in writing your book.

As per your question what college are you planning on studying at? This will help others better grasp your question.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:43 AM

FIrst I will go to a secular uni and study classical Gk. Then a Protestant college that has seminary plus a Roman-Catholic college and do 1¼ years of Theology. In the Roman-Catholic college I'll only do the OT. Then Biblical Gk in the Protestant college. The Protestant college is basically for all denominations - however it's owned by the Baptists and I don't agree with the Baptists theologically.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 270
KJ Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 2:43 AM

You have it all planned out.

I think you will find that an introductory text such as Eerdmans Companion's biases will not make a difference to your theology because you will find your own theological voice.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2013 4:11 AM

Is it conservative? Is it good? Would it be worth its price?:

Unix living in celibacy:
How would You theologically and/or denominationally define the leaning of: The Eerdmans Companion to the Bible? And is it really good?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS