Converting formats possible?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Keith M. Hersch | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:03 AM

I have thousands of PDF, Mobi, EPub Christian resources collected (about 500 gig). Is there a way that logos or a 3rd party software can convert items to Logos format and have everything in one place? It took years to gather, not eager to convert one by one. Is there anything out there would make this possible?

Posts 15644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:13 AM

Welcome to the Logos forums, Keith!

No, unfortunately there is nothing out there that can do the job.

Word 2013 can convert PDF files to .docx, and there might be some software out there that could convert Mobi and EPub files that are DRM-free to .docx format (which is the format for Logos Personal Books), but you'd still have to convert them one by one. 

To find converters, Google: "mobi to docx" | "epub to docx"

Posts 5139
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:44 AM

Keith M. Hersch:

I have thousands of PDF, Mobi, EPub Christian resources collected (about 500 gig). Is there a way that logos or a 3rd party software can convert items to Logos format and have everything in one place? It took years to gather, not eager to convert one by one. Is there anything out there would make this possible?

Calibre supports converting these formats into *.rtf, which in turn can be read by word or other text processing software and saved as *.docx. Calibre supports batch execution (i.e. you select a bunch of files, make it go and it will run in the background). The results for mobi and ePub are very good, PDF's vary, based on the quality of the underlying document (they can be anything from printed Word documents to picturebooks of low-quality scans). Footnotes may be an issue.

You will afterwards need to run the Personal Book compiler in Logos. I don't know of any batch capabilities for supplying the book metadata, however the compiler will run multiple books in parallel. 

Hope this helps,

Mick   

running Logos 5.2b SR1 (Classic MCs, Verbum Master+, Lutheran Silver) on Acer Extensa 5230E - now modified to 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - Win7 Home Premium 32bit & Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 1
Andrew Bukowski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 7:45 AM

I don't know about converting to logos, but I can recommend a good website which converts from PDF to text, mobi or epub. Maybe it helps, it's http:// kitpdf .com/

Posts 15644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:39 AM

Links to random sites by new posters with a post count of 1 should be taken with a grain of salt. Just a caution. Even if it looks relevant to the question posted in this thread, it might be full of malware. (Ignore this message if you see it right after Mick's; it means the post I'm alluding to has been deleted by Logos.)

Posts 13115
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:00 PM

Andrew Bukowski:

I don't know about converting to logos, but I can recommend a good website which converts from PDF to text, mobi or epub.

Welcome Big Smile to the Logos Bible Software forums.

Noticed free demo from similar named web site replaces random characters in the destination document with asterisks.  If want conversion without random asterisks, need to purchase a license.

Edit: kitpdf . com has a text conversion notice:

kitpdf . com:

Just upload the PDF file and the tool will convert it into plain text. The following tool is provided "as is", the resulting file can lack portions of text from the PDF, especially if the text is on images.

Also noticed lack of copyright warning.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13115
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 2:22 PM

Keith M. Hersch:

Welcome Big Smile

Apologies: not know of a one place conversion.  Used Calibri for one step in Personal Book conversion process => Can my fellow Logos users help me help you?

Thread => Pdf to logos supported format to be read in the software includes Logos developer reply:

David Mitchell:

Jack Caviness:
Bob Pritchett (Logos CEO) has indicated that the PBB feature will allow you to compile from Word (and hopefully other word processors).

Specifically, we intend to support docx, which started as the Microsoft Word format and is now registered with the ECMA standards body as ECMA-376 (http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm) as well as with ISO as ISO/IEC 29500. PBB should be able to accept documents from any word processor that supports this format.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS