CPU usage bug?

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 216
Tim | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 13 2013 2:29 PM

I was working when I realized that my iMac (stats below) fan was running as if I were playing a graphics intensive game or somehow pushing it hard. Activity Monitor showed that Logos was running at 254% CPU. I didn't think to take a screen capture until after I quit. On quitting the app disappeared but never ended the sync. I finally had to force quit, the exit now button did not actually do anything. As soon as I force quit Logos my processor usage dropped back to its normal nearly nothing. Logos was not indexing. I did download the patch this morning (L5.0.2.0562). Now that I have reopened Logos, it is coasting along at about 2-24% CPU usage. 

Mid2011 27Inch iMac

3.4Ghz i7

8GB RAM

Radeon 6970M w/2048 RAM

OS X 10.7.5

Is anybody else having this kind of problem?

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2013 4:13 AM

Tim:
Logos was not indexing.

Tim:
Is anybody else having this kind of problem?

Personally, have never seen this type CPU usage except when L5 is indexing.

Posts 12
Nick Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:33 PM

Yep, it seems like i "force quit" a few times per week.  The fan on my computer turns off right after I quit Logos.  I have a brand new Mac so I don't think that's the problem. 

Posts 168
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 11:27 PM

Until yesterday, this hadn't happened to me. However, I can recall exactly what I was doing just prior to setting off the fans. In a sprint of curiosity I began adding a few resources in my pane and then switching through some parallel resources looking for something specific. After switching through about 6 to 10 parallel resources, my fans kicked in and would not calm down. I also noticed that 'syncing' would not finish. Quitting Logos worked but the final exit screen "Updating and Syncing Documents and Settings" would not go away. I ended up having to force quit.

Mark Nigro

Pastor/Teacher/Student/Writer

www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 9:25 AM

Fans turning on is not necessarily a bug. Logos is a big program (despite what some seem to think), and big programs cause heat and the fan is there to protect your computer. 

Mark Nigro:
After switching through about 6 to 10 parallel resources, my fans kicked in and would not calm down. I also noticed that 'syncing' would not finish.

I could see this kicking the fans on until the computer feels the computer has cooled down enough. 

Mark Nigro:
uitting Logos worked but the final exit screen "Updating and Syncing Documents and Settings" would not go away. I ended up having to force quit.

This, however, should not happen. Can you replicate this behavior? 

Posts 5
the Rev | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:27 PM

I'm also getting the same CPU problem running Logos 5. When I quit logos CPU usage drops to normal. This is a really big problem because it makes my iMac extremely hot 70 degrees celsius. This is a relatively new problem. Please help us

Posts 216
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:00 AM

This is still a problem. Here are my logs and my most recent screen capture with the exceptionally high processor usage.8623.LogosLogs TIMOTHY HANKINS 20130304-115609.gz

Posts 216
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:03 AM

When it gets like this I have to force quit, exiting hangs on the synch window without releasing any of the processor that it is using. Here is another after forcing quit and reopening the same layout and working for a few minutes:

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:11 AM

Computers are designed to cool themselves automatically when operating at capacity, then clock-back the processor if it gets too hot. So while it may be very warm, if the hardware, fans and drivers are functioning correctly, and it was well designed to start with, high CPU load and elevated temperatures should not be a problem. Occasionally, the hardware may malfunction, or the software/drivers may not be operating the fans correctly which can lead to over-heating, but most current processors will detect this and automatically clock back and ultimately shut down before damage occurs. This is a problem with the hardware or driver and should be discussed with the manufacturer.

Ultimately, we would expect Logos to use whatever system resources are available to perform resource-intensive tasks as quickly as possible, especially while indexing. This will result in high CPU load, and higher than idle temperatures, but shouldn't cause hardware damage if the computer is functioning correctly.

However, if you are concerned that Logos is not operating properly, we may be able to collect some specific data to troubleshoot. You'll find new instructions at www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/logging to collect this data (step 4). If the files are too large to attach, please submit them by email.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 216
Tim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 12:17 PM

Mike, thank you for the response.

Mike (Tech Support):

Computers are designed to cool themselves automatically when operating at capacity, then clock-back the processor if it gets too hot. So while it may be very warm, if the hardware, fans and drivers are functioning correctly, and it was well designed to start with, high CPU load and elevated temperatures should not be a problem. Occasionally, the hardware may malfunction, or the software/drivers may not be operating the fans correctly which can lead to over-heating, but most current processors will detect this and automatically clock back and ultimately shut down before damage occurs. This is a problem with the hardware or driver and should be discussed with the manufacturer.

- As a former helpdesk technician and network engineer, I can appreciate your simple explanation. My concern is not for my hardware so much as the sometimes frustrating loss of performance that I experience while the processor is running this high. 

Ultimately, we would expect Logos to use whatever system resources are available to perform resource-intensive tasks as quickly as possible, especially while indexing. This will result in high CPU load, and higher than idle temperatures, but shouldn't cause hardware damage if the computer is functioning correctly.

- if you will take a moment to refresh your memory with regards to the information previously posted, you will note that my initial post was in part because logos isn't indexing while I am having this happen. In fact, Logos is pretty much sitting idle. I am not performing any searches nor do I have any linked books that are trying to keep up with each other. I do not have any clausal diagrams open, both of which can sometimes eat up resources. I have had this happen with multiple layouts, including one I rebuild from scratch in case there is a problem with layout corruption. I am not compiling personal books. I am not using any of the Logos tools whatsoever. I am just reading a few commentaries and a couple books and following embedded scripture links to an open Bible. As shown by my second screen capture, this is normally done with nearly no processor usage. 

However, if you are concerned that Logos is not operating properly, we may be able to collect some specific data to troubleshoot. You'll find new instructions at www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/logging to collect this data (step 4). If the files are too large to attach, please submit them by email.

Please note that my previous post did have my most current set of logs. I leave logging running because of intermittent issues. I used logos log scribe to gather and compress the log files.  This problem has started only within the last couple updates. Off the top of my head I would guess that logos is scaling to handle some momentary intensive task and some piece of code is written such that it fails to scale back down, but i recognize that tech support guys with a hardware background frequently point fingers at the coders, so that may just be my instincts leading me astray.  Thank you again for your time in looking into this matter.  -Tim 
Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2013 9:19 AM

I'll talk with one of our Mac developers and see if they have some ideas.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 303
LogosEmployee
Martin Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 6 2013 1:30 PM

Tim:
Please note that my previous post did have my most current set of logs. I leave logging running because of intermittent issues.

Based on the contents of you uploaded archive, it appears that logging is not currently enabled; the Logos.log file is from January 24th and contains the entry "Logos Logging is not enabled". You can run the attached program to enable logging (restart is required if Logos is currently running) and archive your updated logs. If you experience any further high CPU usage after you have enabled logging and restarted, if you click on the "Sample" button, it will take a five second sample of the application and archive the sample results along with your current logs. This will provide more information so we can determine the cause of the CPU usage.

3531.LogosLoggingUtility.zip

Martin

Mac Developer
Faithlife

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 4:50 AM

Martin Potter:
You can run the attached program to enable logging

Is this utility available for general use? Seems to be an improvement over KS4J's AppleScript and Logos Log Scribe—even though both are excellent troubleshooting resources.

Posts 303
LogosEmployee
Martin Potter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 7:16 AM

Jack Caviness:
Is this utility available for general use?

Yes, the application is available for use by anyone and will work with Logos 4 or Logos 5. If you encounter any error with the utility, please let me know.

Jack Caviness:
KS4J's AppleScript and Logos Log Scribe—even though both are excellent troubleshooting resources

I completely agree, both of those applications have been excellent resources in assisting with troubleshooting. I made the new utility to overcome a couple of issues based on our specific internal use case along with simplifying the process of enabling and collecting logs to one application. The application is also signed, so it should run on Mountain Lion with the default Gatekeeper settings.

Mac Developer
Faithlife

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:34 PM

Martin Potter:
Yes, the application is available for use by anyone and will work with Logos 4 or Logos 5. If you encounter any error with the utility, please let me know.

Then, I will start recommending its use. What is the best URL for download?

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 10:33 AM

Tim:

This is still a problem. Here are my logs and my most recent screen capture with the exceptionally high processor usage.8623.LogosLogs TIMOTHY HANKINS 20130304-115609.gz

This is absolutely not normal for any application on a Mac. Even for Logos, which is not an optimised Mac application, is not 64 bit, and which has to carry around  baggage like Mono to run. I also have a 27" iMac mid 2011. With more memory than you have but that should not be a major factor. One tool you can use to more closely monitor Logos running (which will require going using the Terminal) and the resources it is using is to run the 'top' command in Terminal. To do so:
  1. In Activity Monitor find the 'PID' (process ID) of the Logos app, the column on the left. In your screenshot the Logos PID is 920.
  2. Open a terminal window, Terminal can be found in Applications | Utilities
  3. At the prompt (using the PID found in step one) type 'top -pid 920' (again 920 was the PID of Logos running in your screenshot, the PID will be different each time you run Logos)
  4. You will see a display with lots of information (make terminal screen as wide as possible to see things). At the top is summary info for the whole system, below it you will see a table with many columns starting with PID then COMMAND which should show Logos.
  5. Press 'q' on your keyboard to quit 'top' display

In normal usage (specifically with your system) with Logos just sitting, not doing anything you should see things like %CPU = 0.1, RSIZE = 295M, VSIZE = 1356M, STATE = sleeping (except when Logos 5 is 'phoning home').

This page http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix3/mac/ch08_01.htm#sect1 has info on understanding output of top.

If I go into Logos and do a query like — Search All Text in Entire Library for "God" and then jump back to the terminal window I see the CPU usage jump up to ~ 100% it then goes down step by step back to 0.1 %CPU when all results are displayed. Then it also goes back into state sleeping. This is normal sort of system behaviour. If you are seeing significantly different then that is abnormal.

As to what is causing the high loads you are seeing that is something which needs to be investigated via looking at logs and so on.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 5
the Rev | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 2:26 PM
Patrick, I'm having the same problem. I have an iMac 27' guad core 16 gig ram. I've got around the problem by using an older layout. I have different layouts saved for different purposes. I started off using a much simpler layout, less resources open. That worked fine, no high CPU. Then I used an older layout which is as complex as what I've been currently using. Seems ok so far. I've also emailed Logos about this problem and they say they are looking into it. Perhaps this will help you keep working until they resolve this problem.
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 10:22 PM

Martin Potter:

Jack Caviness:
Is this utility available for general use?

Jack Caviness:
KS4J's AppleScript and Logos Log Scribe—even though both are excellent troubleshooting resources

I completely agree, both of those applications have been excellent resources in assisting with troubleshooting. I made the new utility to overcome a couple of issues based on our specific internal use case along with simplifying the process of enabling and collecting logs to one application. The application is also signed, so it should run on Mountain Lion with the default Gatekeeper settings.

Thankful for Logos Logging application so updated references on a couple wiki pages => http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging#Mac and => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 10:24 PM

Jack Caviness:

Martin Potter:

Then, I will start recommending its use. What is the best URL for download?

Logos Support page => http://www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/logging links to => http://www.logos.com/media/tech/LogosLogging.zip

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:41 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Thanks, it looks good. Have added this link to my "Forum Links" file for future reference.

I am smiling, see Big Smile

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS