Hidden books still there

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 6
Brent Costello | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:03 PM

Hello-

I recently upgraded from Logos 4 to logos 5.0b. In so doing I ran across the "hidden book" feature, and wanted to optimize my library (read "hide all the non-English perseus titles Smile). I drug some titles into the "hidden resources box in the settings tab, and used Crtl + right click to hide a number of others. I currently have about 80 titles in my "hidden resources" box on the settings tab. However, when I search in my library for a word which those titles contain, such as "latin" they still appear. I've attached a screen shot of the issue. I've restarted logos and restarted my computer and this is still occurring. Do I need to re-index, or am I missing something else? Thanks for your help.

Brent

PS - I'm running Win 8 Pro if that helps with anything.

Posts 15921
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:24 PM

Have you restarted Logos yet?

(Welcome to the forums, by the way. Smile)

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 6
Brent Costello | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:41 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I restarted logos and for good measure restarted my PC, same result.

Thanks for the welcome and the help!

Posts 16644
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2013 4:41 AM

Brent Costello:
when I search in my library for a word which those titles contain, such as "latin" they still appear.

I wonder if that is Community Tags rearing its ugly head (those books have a "latin" community tag).  Search/look for the actual title of some hidden books e.g. title:"a perseus book"

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 4971
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:06 AM

Dave Hooton:

Brent Costello:
when I search in my library for a word which those titles contain, such as "latin" they still appear.

I wonder if that is Community Tags rearing its ugly head (those books have a "latin" community tag).  Search/look for the actual title of some hidden books e.g. title:"a perseus book"

Dave, his image shows the actual titles in the library.  For example, "Phaeda (Latin)" ("latin" is part of the title) is shown in his library and in his hidden resource list.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 16644
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:29 AM

Todd Phillips:
Dave, his image shows the actual titles in the library.  For example, "Phaeda (Latin)" ("latin" is part of the title) is shown in his library and in his hidden resource list.

Humour me. The match on "Latin" may have come from Community Tags WITHOUT checking that the resource is hidden - all the information is retained in the Library Catalog with just a flag to indicate if it is hidden/available. A search on title:Latin may tell a different story.

Dave
===

Posts 6

Thanks all for your help. I just did a title:latin search with the same issue. (jpeg attached as before) What else can I try?

Posts 7642
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 14 2013 11:35 AM

Could you:

1. Close Logos
  2. Turn Logging on permanently (see 'How to ask for help, below).
  3. Load Logos.
  4. Open one of the Perseus books that is supposed to be hidden.
  5. Close Logos.
  6. Upload the Logos and LogosIndexer logs to this thread.
Hopefully that will provide sufficient information for us to diagnose the problem.

Posts 6
Brent Costello | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:21 AM

Hello-

Sorry for the delay. I had this problem initially on my desktop at work, I tried to duplicate it over the weekend on my laptop, but that hid books correctly. Then when I got back in the office today I opened Logos and many (not all) of the books that I had hidden were in fact hidden. I did as you requested, and attached the log files from opening a hidden book (Phorimo [Latin]). I also got a message when trying to open the book that said it was hidden, and I would need to unhide it to actually load it (I attached that as well). Let me know if there is anything else I need to do, and thanks all for your help!

Brent

Posts 16644
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 3:10 PM

Brent Costello:
I did as you requested, and attached the log files from opening a hidden book (Phorimo [Latin]). I also got a message when trying to open the book that said it was hidden, and I would need to unhide it to actually load it

Well, Logos certainly knows that it is hidden but converts your search for "phor" into a request for a resource panel/tab! We need a Logos tech to explain this behaviour.

Dave
===

Posts 7642
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 3:20 PM

Hi Brent,

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the logs to indicate the cause of the problem. It would guess that the most likely cause of the error is some kind of syncing issue that has caused your library catalog to be incorrect. For speed of access, the library catalog is stored in a separate file from the file which contains the authoritative list of resources (the catalog file is optimised for viewing, the resources file is optimised for the processing).

I think there are three options open to you.

1. You could wait until syncing is finished and then restart the application again. There's a lot of syncing going on, and perhaps you just need to give it time. The two arrows next to the layout menu will tell you whether syncing has finished or not. 
  2. If there's not too many problem resources, you could 'unhide' them, restart, then rehide them. Unhiding is a pain, because you have to do them one at a time. But hiding multiple resources is straight forward.
  3. I'd be surprised if unhiding, restarting and hiding doesn't work. But if it doesn't , you could delete the library catalog file whilst Logos is closed. If that file is missing, Logos will rebuild it next time you open the application (it takes several minutes, and happens automatically during start up). If you want to do this, the file you need to delete is C:\Users\bcostello\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\gurmnn3q.i2k\LibraryCatalog\catalog.db

Posts 67
LogosEmployee
Ryan Gano | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:50 AM

I have reproduced this and written up a case for this issue.

Ryan

Posts 6
Brent Costello | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 2:28 PM

Thanks for the tips Mark. The thing that worked best for me was restarting the catalog file with Logos closed. For some reason the whole process seems to be working perfectly on my laptop, but is giving me trouble on my desktop. I think I've got it set now though, with going through and hiding all the resources I wanted to then deleting the library catalog file. Thanks!

Brent

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS