Unable to Search a Collection (Spurgeon Sermons)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Alexander Michael Enzbigilis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:41 AM

Friends,

This may seem like a dumb question, but I need help. I am unable to search my 63 resource sermon series from Spurgeon. It was added more than a month ago, and when I create a collection based on it I cannot search it for scripture references from a basic search. For example:

If type in 1 Corinthians and set it to search through the whole collection

-0 results come up in my search,

If I type in 1 Corinthians to my entire library 

-100's of results come up in my search

what could be wrong?

-Alex

Posts 9909
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:48 AM

Hi Alex - and welcome to the forums

Alexander Michael Enzbigilis:
-100's of results come up in my search

Are any of those results from your Spurgeon's sermon resources? If so, then the rest of my post can be ignoredSmile

I am unable to search my 63 resource sermon series from Spurgeon.

I don't have that particular series so some speculation!

The search string "1 Corinthians" will only match where that exact text is found in a resource - so it wouldn't match "1 Cor", for example

However, the string <1 Corinthians> will match whatever string is used for the passage.

So I wonder if in those resources the full string is not used.

Try using <1 Corinthians> and see what happens.

Graham 

Posts 5

Graham,

Thanks for the response. Even when searching <1 Corinthians> nothing comes up in the search index, unless it is a resource outside of the Spurgeon Collection. I could search the word Christ and nothing comes up, so there must be an issue with the indexing of these resources?

-alex

Posts 15934
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:57 AM
what could be wrong?
I'm not sure. I just created the same collection to help troubleshoot with you. When I first typed in "1 Corinthians", I didn't get any hits. I then tried "Corinthians" and got some hits. My searches after that worked fine, including retrying "1 Corinthians."

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 15934
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:58 AM

Alex - How did you build your collection?

Posts 5
Alexander Michael Enzbigilis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:02 AM
Alabama, I went to build my collection, named I Spurgeon Sermon Series and typed "Spurgeon pulpit" as the matching resources. I got 63 results. The search function does not work even when I search a specific book from this set, so I don't think the issue is with the collections.
Posts 15934
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:17 AM

The search function does not work even when I search a specific book from this set, so I don't think the issue is with the collections.

My guess is that something went wrong with the indexing of these books… 

Posts 1689
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:56 AM

Hi Alexander.  If you haven't done so already, I suggest you do the following:

1. Use the file found in this thread (ensure you compile it as a commentary, as opposed to the default monograph resource type), prepared by Mark Barnes, into a Personal Book.  

2. Go to your library, and prioritize this Personal Book (of Spurgeon's sermon index) highly amongst your other Bible commentaries.  

3. The next time you want to run a search by Bible verse - and see whether Spurgeon's sermon collection addresses that verse - run a Passage Guide on your chosen verse.  If Spurgeon has a sermon addressing that Bible verse, the Passage Guide will point you to a hyperlink in your Personal Book (of Spurgeon's sermon index) which you can click on, and it will open the full applicable sermon for you in Logos.

Details of how to compile Personal Books can be found here

(Please note that doing the above won't replace being able to search for key words in Spurgeon's sermons via a Basic Search limited to your collection, but it is a neat supplement to allow you to target key Bible verses Spurgeon preached on.)

Posts 9909
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:01 AM

alabama24:

The search function does not work even when I search a specific book from this set, so I don't think the issue is with the collections.

My guess is that something went wrong with the indexing of these books… 

I would agree that indexing is the most likely issue here.

Alex - you can force a reindex with the command "rebuild index". Note that this can take a long time to complete.

Graham 

Posts 5

Everyone,

Thank you for your help! I reindexed (which took all day) and it is now working properly. I appreciate your help!

Posts 9909
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:11 PM

Hi Alex

Thank you for your help! I reindexed (which took all day) and it is now working properly. I appreciate your help!

Great to hear that it is all now working properly.

Graham 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS