List of New Testament Hapax Legomena

Page 2 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 11:17 AM

The updated file is now available. You can download it from the first post in the thread. It includes sub-headings and English glosses.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:36 PM

Mark, thanks so much for this.  

For info, this file works well on my MacBook Pro - no doubt due to the many sub-headings Mark inserted in this file.  Also, there were no warnings on compiling this PB. Yes

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:28 AM

Thanks, Mark. That works much better! And the English is a great improvement as well, of course.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:44 AM

HI Mark

Just downloaded your updated version - great job, many thanks

Graham 

Posts 10486
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 8:58 AM

Downloaded updated file. No errors, no warnings. Works great on L4 Mac, with my 8-year-old Mac Pro. Multiplied thanks.

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:40 AM

Nice to have. Thank you.

Posts 536
L.A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 5:20 PM

wow - thanks again!!

Posts 72
Boris Repschinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:02 PM

Mark Barnes:

The updated file is now available. You can download it from the first post in the thread. It includes sub-headings and English glosses.

Thanks Mark, really helpful. One question though: Why did you decide to leave out proper names? I thought they would belong in such a list, too.

BR

Boris Repschinski

Professor of NT Studies

University of Innsbruck

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2013 1:13 PM

Boris Repschinski:
Thanks Mark, really helpful. One question though: Why did you decide to leave out proper names? I thought they would belong in such a list, too.

I simply didn't feel they'd be useful, and other lists of Hapax Legomena I've seen also exclude proper nouns.

Posts 72
Boris Repschinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 12:02 AM

Mark Barnes:

Boris Repschinski:

I simply didn't feel they'd be useful, and other lists of Hapax Legomena I've seen also exclude proper nouns.

Well, one of the names is Emmanuel (Mt 1,23) – perhaps a borderline case? But I guess I understand your reasoning, most of the names are indeed perhaps not all that interesting. 

BR

Boris Repschinski

Professor of NT Studies

University of Innsbruck

Posts 8857
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 4:41 AM

Mark Barnes:

Just to let you know that I've worked out a way of getting English glosses in the list. Given that most of us don't know the meaning of hapax legomenas, I think that would be pretty useful, so I'm redoing the file with those included. I'll add sub-headings as I do, so I thought I'd let you know in case you preferred to wait, rather than add them yourself.

That is great Mark. That will improve the document greatly. Do you mind sharing the process you used to also include the glosses?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 11:31 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Do you mind sharing the process you used to also include the glosses?

The index was created like this:

1. I created a word list of the entire NA28, and sorted by frequency.
  2. I exported this to Microsoft Excel, and deleted words which appeared more than once.
  3. I copied the resulting list of lemmas to a text editor, and using find/replace to convert the list into a Logos search string. I added ANDNOT <LN 93> to remove proper nouns.
  4. I performed an analysis search using this search string, sorted by Scripture reference, and  exported into Excel. I copied this export into a second worksheet on the original spreadsheet.
  5. We now have two worksheets. The first has the lemmas and their English glosses (but no Scripture reference). The second has the lemmas and their Scripture reference, but no English glosses. So, using Excel’s vlookup function, I add the English gloss to the search analysis export.
  6. After deleting unnecessary columns, the resulting list is copied and pasted into Word, then sorted be lemma and copied and pasted again.
  7. All that's left to do then is add the headings and so on. The whole process took around 20 minutes.
Posts 8857
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 29 2013 6:48 PM

I appreciate you taking time to explain the process. Wow, that is quite complicated (and fascinating). I continue to learn so much from you Mark. Thanks!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 949
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2013 1:16 PM

Mark Barnes, you are a genius!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1
John C. Butler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 22 2014 5:44 AM

Dear Mark...I found one Hapax you may have missed from the great list you compiled...

2 Tim 1:8...  be partaker of affliction - syfkakopatheo   G4777

God bless

John

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 22 2014 6:49 AM

Hi John - and welcome to the forums

John C. Butler:

Dear Mark...I found one Hapax you may have missed from the great list you compiled...

2 Tim 1:8...  be partaker of affliction - syfkakopatheo   G4777

This also appears in 2 Timothy 2:3

Graham

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 22 2014 9:11 AM

John C. Butler:

I found one Hapax you may have missed from the great list you compiled...

2 Tim 1:8..

Hello John,

Thanks for letting me know about this. As Graham says, συγκακοπαθέω also appears in 2 Timothy 2:3, at least in the eclectic texts. It's not present there in the Received Text, which has σὺ οὖν κακοπάθησον instead.

So it's not clear whether or not it's hapax legomena. Personally, I consider the eclectic texts more accurate, so my list is based on those texts (specifically NA28).

Mark

Posts 2
Daniel J Weber | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 6:04 AM

Love your work, thanks!  I have a question along the lines of the hapax.  My question sort of came up earlier in the discussion with 2 Timothy. 

Would it be pissue to expand the master list to include words that only occur within one book?

For example, a word may occur 4 times, but all of them in 2 Peter  

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 7:47 AM

Hi Daniel,

There's no easy way that I know of to get this type of information from Logos - although if you're interested in one particular book, it could be done via Word Lists.

Mark

Posts 1
Chris Lenz | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 30 2015 10:05 AM

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the list of hapaxes, it was useful. Can you make similar lists of dis legomena and tris legomena also. I can't do it using my software.

Thanks,

Chris

Page 2 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS