"The Dialogues of Plato" on Pre-Pub

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 17
daniel paul christie | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 21 2013 12:27 PM

The Dialogues of Plato (5 vols.) has passed the mark at $12, but the bidding doesn't close till noon March 1. It's pretty close to $10, but with the time left, I think we can get it down to $6 (definitely $8). 

http://www.logos.com/product/29766/the-dialogues-of-plato

Also, it would be nice to get The Works of Aristotle (12 vols.) down to a lower price before it crosses the line (it's currently the highest at $50).

http://www.logos.com/product/29737/the-works-of-aristotle

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2013 11:08 AM

Daniel Christie:
The Dialogues of Plato (5 vols.) has passed the mark at $12, but the bidding doesn't close till noon March 1. It's pretty close to $10, but with the time left, I think we can get it down to $6 (definitely $8). 

Can someone tell me why these are better than the ones I've already got for free through Perseus?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19198
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2013 11:17 AM

fgh:

Daniel Christie:

Can someone tell me why these are better than the ones I've already got for free through Perseus?

These are the Oxford editions. They include such things as "Introduction and analysis by the translator for each dialogue," "Extensive explanatory footnotes" and the like. The Perseus ones include just the text. We're also not sure who the translators are with the Perseus editions, but these ones are done by top-notch translators whose names are attached to their work and whose bios are available on the Logos website.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2013 1:15 PM

Rosie Perera:

fgh:

Daniel Christie:

These are the Oxford editions. They include such things as "Introduction and analysis by the translator for each dialogue," "Extensive explanatory footnotes" and the like. The Perseus ones include just the text. We're also not sure who the translators are with the Perseus editions, but these ones are done by top-notch translators whose names are attached to their work and whose bios are available on the Logos website.

The translator's name is given if you check the information regarding the resource.  Plato is translated by the likes of Bury, Fowler, Lamb.  Some do have an introduction.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 22 2013 1:40 PM

Thanks, Rosie. I was already in, but I need some motivation to stay in. The Aristotle collection includes works that weren't in Perseus, but Plato doesn't seem to include anything new, so some other kind of motivation is needed.

Of course, the lower the price, the less extra motivation I need.Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS