Get more Dictionaries etc for Lemma

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:09 AM

Right clicking on a word brings up amongst other things, the Lemma of a word. Doing that, I see five dictionaries there. Is there a way that I can get more than what is there and how? Will appreciate your help. Thanks!

Posts 28357
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:15 AM

I don't think you can get MORE resources, but you can change the resources listed… by prioritization.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:17 AM

Thank you Alabama - that's good to know. Appreciate your quick reply and just in time before I roar out of here for breakfast!  :-)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:36 AM

Bootjack:
Is there a way that I can get more than what is there and how?

Thread => searching strong's numbers has a prioritization example so right click lemma has a list of 5 resources while Strong's number has a different list of 5 resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:41 AM

Appreciate that extra bit of info! Thanks!

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 9:14 AM

For what you want, your best bet is to keep a Power Lookup window over on the side.

Then in the right-click menu, select that and it dumps mucho lexicons, complete with short blurbs.

Another alternative I tried, worked in REVERSE. I made a BWS with only a lemma section. That produced THREE lexicons (with room to spare). The right-click menu at least produces FIVE!

Another trick I use is to prioritize the least likely first (e.g. TLOT) and the most likely last (analytical lexicons).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 12:24 PM

Why don't you give me a screenshot of what you're telling me so I can be sure I'm following you. Thanks!

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 12:56 PM

- I'm assuming you're using something like ESV (in the image below) or NRSV. 

- On the right-side of the screen is a Power Lookup panel from my Tools menu. Normally in its default opening, it simply 'follows' your Bible text. So in the first image, its looking up various note references in the ESV shown (prior to me selecting a word).

- I right-clicked 'creature' in the ESV, and selected lemma as you mentioned

- Then I selected on the left column of the popup, 'Power Lookup'

- The second image below shows the result, with a long series of lexicons listed by priority, along with initial blurbs.

Right-clicking an ESV word for the lemma and then selecting Power Lookup:

Resulting Power Lookup with a list of lexicons for the selected word:

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 1:13 PM

Bootjack:

Right clicking on a word brings up amongst other things, the Lemma of a word. Doing that, I see five dictionaries there. Is there a way that I can get more than what is there and how? Will appreciate your help. Thanks!

Besides the other fine advice, if you open any lexicon, you can click on the parallel resources button (dark grey with two parallel lines, next to the 3 circle icon on the top of the panel), and instantly move from one lexicon to any other with the same entry. You can also create collections within which you can look for your favorite lexicons, or to stream-line your work-flow.

On the Power Lookup idea, you may notice some performance degradation if you have "Follow" selected (click the little triangle pointing down on the top of the tab). For the suggestion and instructions above, not following anything (i.e., select "None") works perfectly and won't slow down Logos' response. (The same can be said for other Tools in L4/5.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 2:22 PM

Thank you for this. Very much appreciated!!!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS