Important Change to Rich Text Editor coming in 5.1 Beta for Notes, Clippings, etc.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1432
Tonya J Ross | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 25 2013 4:50 PM

*IMPORTANT:* When 5.1 Beta 1 is released, Logos 5 will be utilizing the new Rich Text Editor.  Due to these changes, the Beta Testing Warnings  are especially important to consider, especially those regarding possible loss of functionality and data loss: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/52967.aspx  

Posts 5099
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 5:08 PM

Tonya J Ross:

*IMPORTANT:* When 5.1 Beta 1 is released, Logos 5 will be utilizing the new Rich Text Editor.  Due to these changes, the Beta Testing Warnings  are especially important to consider, especially those regarding possible loss of functionality and data loss: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/52967.aspx  

Sounds exciting! (Note to self, 'exciting' isn't always good.) Wink

Seriously, looking forward to testing a new note system. However, will there a way for us to preserve current note files so we will only loose data in new note files? If so, could that have some initial alpha testing before the beta is released, so we understand that process. (By alpha testing I mean, in house, not by us users.)

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 16703
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:35 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Seriously, looking forward to testing a new note system. However, will there a way for us to preserve current note files so we will only loose data in new note files?

I agree that the conservative approach would be to test with NEW note files and then only test with existing files you can afford to lose/get corrupt.  I certainly wouldn't be testing if I had many tens of files until at least Beta 2 after letting bunnies like me risk all my notes first!

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 5099
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 7:47 PM

Dave Hooton:

Richard DeRuiter:
Seriously, looking forward to testing a new note system. However, will there a way for us to preserve current note files so we will only loose data in new note files?

I agree that the conservative approach would be to test with NEW note files and then only test with existing files you can afford to lose/get corrupt.  I certainly wouldn't be testing if I had many tens of files until at least Beta 2 after letting bunnies like me risk all my notes first!

My other concern is that the new note editor may require an import of all notes into the new schema. Since I don't know how the new module is structured, nor what it does on start-up, I would not participate in this beta program unless I know my existing note files will not be lost, damaged, or corrupted.

Importing Libronix notes into L4 was sometimes problematic. I didn't loose as much as some - just some formatting. If this is another qualitative jump, I want to know a bit about how it works first.

Posts 16703
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:26 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
My other concern is that the new note editor may require an import of all notes into the new schema. Since I don't know how the new module is structured, nor what it does on start-up,

Then how does the schema work IF or WHEN sync'd to non-beta installations i.e will Notes sync at all between beta and non-beta installations?

Dave
===

Posts 13186
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:42 PM

Tonya J Ross:

Since anticipating beta bugginess with new editor, wonder about a post in Logos 5 forum about checking update channel ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4347
LogosEmployee

Richard DeRuiter:

However, will there a way for us to preserve current note files so we will only loose data in new note files?

The new editor should (and I need to double-check confirm this) only write changes to a note if you edit it (or possibly if you set the edit focus to that note).

Thus, opening an existing note file just to view it won't run the risk of data corruption. You can limit your exposure to bugs by only using the beta to create and edit new notes.

Posts 1870
Forum MVP
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 8:54 PM

How soon will this beta be available? Looks cool!

Posts 343
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 9:23 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
The new editor should (and I need to double-check confirm this) only write changes to a note if you edit it (or possibly if you set the edit focus to that note).

Does that affect just that note or if I edit one note do I risk the whole file?

Thus, opening an existing note file just to view it won't run the risk of data corruption. You can limit your exposure to bugs by only using the beta to create and edit new notes.

Kind of risky - I have lots of note files with lots and lots of notes.  It would be hard to not use the existing notes since they are a key part of my study method.  

I've turned off "Automatically download Updates" but would like to know how I can protect my current notes so I can also test the new notes functions.  

I copied my "...Documents\[hash]\Documents\Notes" folder.  Will there be a way to safely bring them back in or convert them to the new note format?

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC; Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) SP1; I7-2670QM; 8GB of memory
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8013ZWYXAR) tablet; Android v4.1.2; Wi-Fi only; 16GB of storage; no SD card 

Posts 16703
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 1:04 AM

Tim Hensler:
Kind of risky - I have lots of note files with lots and lots of notes.  It would be hard to not use the existing notes since they are a key part of my study method.

That is precisely why you shouldn't risk them in Beta 1, even if you have another installation; even if Bradley says it shouldn't happen, because the last couple of beta 1's have had fairly stupid and preventable bugs!

Dave
===

Posts 16070
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:02 AM

Tim Hensler:
I've turned off "Automatically download Updates" but would like to know how I can protect my current notes so I can also test the new notes functions.

Tim - You should make sure you use the command: set update channel to stable 

EDIT: Sorry… its early in the morning… I just noticed the last clause. Embarrassed Personally, if I were you and worried about losing notes, I would opt out of beta until further notice.

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 5099
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 6:59 AM

Yes please do double check and confirm.

Also explain what you mean by "set the edit focus," and how it might be distinguished from set the focus. Can I read a scroll a note (assumed)? Can I copy and paste from a note (ambiguous)? I assume changing anything in a note, even if one does not evoke any formatting would still be a form of setting the edit focus, right?

Posts 4347
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:08 AM

A note will be saved back to disk if you edit its textual content (or title), or change its formatting.

Just loading the note will not update the document on disk. If it looks like it's "corrupted" when it loads, that's just a display problem; closing the document without making any changes will leave the note unmodified, and you can continue to edit it in 5.0b. Posting a screenshot of the incorrect display will help us identify and fix the problem. (Bonus points if you can post a screenshot of what it looked like in 5.0b.)

Posts 27
LogosEmployee
Grayson (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:36 AM

I was part of the team that implemented the new rich text editor and wanted to try to address some of the concerns.

First, we have taken care to be good stewards of your data.  Your data will be backed up before any changes happen and we wish to alert all users before we do anything that may potentially cause a loss of data.  This change allows us to go beyond the existing technologies to implement some of the features and requests for the rich text editor.  I hope and believe that the potential risk now will be worth the change.  I also wish to remind everyone that they may explicitly make duplicates of their notes on documents.logos.com.  We do not anticipate any problems with data loss.  However, we want to provide sufficient warning to anyone in the beta program whenever there is any risk to their data so that they can evaluate the risks and rewards of participation.

I hope the following points may address some of the specific concerns:

• There is no way to limit the rich text editor changes to new notes only.  All rich text editors will have the new changes.
  • Viewing notes will not cause any change in the backing data, though editing them obviously will.
  • You may copy the contents of a note and paste it into another application or document without changing the data.
  • There should not be any issues when moving between the new editor and the old editor.  Any note that has not been edited will remain unaltered and any data created or altered in the new editor will still be viewable and editable on the old.
Posts 16070
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:53 AM

Thanks Grayson. Smile

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Posts 106
Jeffrey S. Robison | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 12:13 PM

So when will 5.1 drop?

Posts 16703
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 12:52 PM

Grayson:

• There is no way to limit the rich text editor changes to new notes only.  All rich text editors will have the new changes.

I'm not sure what this means, Grayson i.e.  "all rich text editors".

Dave
===

Posts 27
LogosEmployee
Grayson (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 1:18 PM

The rich text editor is used in several places inside the application, not just inside of notes documents.  The notes document is the most obvious, but the improvements will be seen in other areas that accept larger form user input.

Posts 3776
Forum MVP
Halo Hound | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 1:39 PM

Grayson:
The notes document is the most obvious, but the improvements will be seen in other areas that accept larger form user input.
I REALLY hope this means the note sections of the user guides.

Posts 318
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 26 2013 1:48 PM

And so the question still remains, WHEN?

Bob Deacon

MacBook Pro, OSX Mountain Lion

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS