Newbies!!

Page 1 of 9 (176 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 175 Replies | 26 Followers

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 9 2009 11:26 AM

Welcome to the forums! Come on in, make yourself comfortable, and get to know some other Logos Bible Software users!

With nearly 10,000 users this forum is a great place to get many of your questions answered, meet a lot of wonderful people, and learn many new tricks and tips from seasoned Logos users.

• For starters tell us how long you have been a Logos user?
  • What kinds of resources or packages you own?
  • What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?
  • And what is on your Logos wish list?
Posts 50
Dave Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 2:00 PM

• I've been using Logos for a few months. This is my first Bible software package I've used. 
  • I have the home bible study package but I'm really considering upgrading. I want to learn how to get into the Greek and Hebrew and been looking at some of the commentaries in other packages. 
  • I use Logos for my own devotional study. I'm a burnt out youth pastor who's been doing media production for the last 6 years. But I'm starting to feel the call to get back into a teaching ministry now that I've dealt with some sin in my life and established boundaries and accountability. 
  • My first wish list for Logos is a fully functioning mac version of v4 but I already know it's on it's way. Beyond that I'd say better documentation/ training on not just what the program does but why you'd use it that way. 

Posts 55
James Ogle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 2:21 PM

I have been using Logos for about six months.

I have the Leader Package but I will probably go to Scholar if I get enough money at Christmas. ( I need more greek and hebrew stuff) I also bought the Ironside bundle, Arthur W. Pink bundle, and The MacArthur lifework set.

Right now I have been using it for homework. I'm going to Moody Bible Institute online. It also helps in the small group I'm in.

My wishlist would probably be Calvin 500 set, and any conservitive commentary set (old school).

I have been reading the forum the last couple of weeks and there is a lot of good stuff. So thanks in advance!

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 2:40 PM

Dave,

Hey, thanks for chiming in! I just wanted to let you know that there is some wonderful training available. For starters there is the Logos 4 Bible Software Training Manual.

Beyond that, this forum, and the blogs have a lot of wonderful information to help you get the most out of your Logos 4 software.

Posts 2
Justin Moody | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 3:19 PM

I just wanted to begin by thanking you Logos for putting out this amazing resource. I've used the software for about a year buying the Gold version not long after I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my savior. I'm sure we can all remember the enormous craving we had just after that amazing experience for His Word and this software really scratched that unquenchable itch. No matter what I'm doing at work or on my home desktop or laptop, I absolutely have to have Logos open, just in case. I recently found out about the cell phone service, making a good portion of our resources available to us where ever and when ever. It's all I can do to not read while driving.

I've always had a pleasant experience with the customer service, this resource itself is awesome, the prices are great......I really can't say enough!

I've been keeping up with the forums since November and plan on contributing to the community. 

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 3:28 PM

JustinMoody:

I've used the software for about a year buying the Gold version not long after I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my savior.

That is WONDERFUL!

JustinMoody:

II've been keeping up with the forums since November and plan on contributing to the community. 

You just did contribute!  Already encouraged me!

Posts 241
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 4:31 PM

Hello, I'd describe myself as a "newbie" to Logos,

How long you have been a Logos user?

I came across Libronix 3 about 4 years ago when I bought the Norman Geisler Apologetics Library at the local Christian bookstore here in town. And I’ve been adding on - one resource at a time - and occasionally using it (although never really learning to use its full potential) over the years.

In late November I went to the Logos website just to see if there were any updates or new videos for version 3 and found out about the new Logos 4.  I upgraded to the Logos 4 Scholars Library on the spot.

What kinds of resources or packages you own?

Libronix 3:

• Norman Geisler Apologetics Library
  • Nelson’s Ultimate Bible Reference Library
  • The Bill Bright Collection
  • Various other books I’ve added individually

Logos 4:

• The Scholars Library (purchased in late November)

What kinds of tasks do you use your Logos software for?

The primary purpose for having Logos 4, for me, is to prepare sermons, and Bible studies for my church and small group – as well as for personal study. 

I actually use several Bible software packages for this because they each have their strengths.  I am a long time WORDsearch 8, and PC Study Bible 5 user.  I also use a couple of the best free ones – e-Sword and TheWORD. 

But by far, Logos is the best I’ve seen so far for in depth original language research.  The only ones I think that can rival it are Accordance (for the Mac) and BibleWorks.

And what is on your Logos 4 wish list?

My Wish list for Logos 4: (for now anyway)

• Copy & Paste - or - Export to word processor from ANY search window (i.e.; Search, Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide, etc.)
  • Better functionality of the Handouts feature (so much cool potential there)
  • Make it easier to just maximize or minimize any open resource (put access to it where new users are already accustomed to - by the "X-out")
  • More instructional videos on Logos.com

sdahlinghwa

Posts 10
Lynn Diel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 7:04 PM

I have been watching and reviewing Logos for several years but not having the I have been a Logos user for about four days on a Mac.  It is kind of like drinking from a fire hydrant (LOL!)

I previously have been using e-sword and quickverse both were out grown.

Personal study and will use it for teaching in small groups.

One thing I use via the web is Kretzmann commentaries and another is Thomas Constable's. While not on the high end of the scale, they are good to use for explaining things to others.

Thanks to all in advance

Blessings

Posts 0
Frank Bristow | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 10:29 PM

Hi!

I bought and installed the Scholars edition of Logos 3 on October 26th and one week later they released Logos 4. What a surprise to get a new version so soon. Smile  So I've used Logos 4 for about a month and have lots to learn.

Right now I'm using it for my own personal Bible study and gave a demo of it at my church.

I've been reading the forums and the blogs.

My wish list is that the pre-pub version of the ESV study Bible notes is ready soon and that they get the Steve Green Midi Hymnal working in Logos 4 the way it does in Logos 3.

Posts 104
Jayson Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 10:06 AM

It is wonderful to have you all aboard! Thanks for posting.

Posts 2
Joyce Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2009 1:31 PM

Joyce Johnson

started using in 07 I have the scholars V3 would love to learn more I use it for personal study now my desire is to use it for small group leader. wish list is upgrade to V4 silver or V3 silver.

Posts 198
Bryan Brodess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 7:19 AM

Hey, I purchased E-Bible deluxe a few years ago, Went to upgrade and stumbled onto Logos. Glad I did! Had the updates I have been looking for. and still get to use my libronix liscenses.

I have been a Logos user Less than a month. Have the "Bible Study" package ( All I could afford and it was my christmas present from my wife.." also bought moultan and milliagan, and have pre-pub on theyers ( which I hope comes out this time) My church is based on small Home groups. I teach about once a month on our home group, and lead a mens bible study so I will use this package alot!! Thanks LOGOS!!

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:20 AM

Just wanted to pop in a say Hi to everyone.  I have enjoyed reading all these updates.  Very cool!!!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 138
Stefan Feliz-Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:59 AM

Hey, all. It's great to have a community out there like this, with thousands of brothers and sisters in Christ who are lovingly willing to dialogue and share knowledge with others. It's how the Body should be! Thank you!

I've been using Logos for about 5 years now, though I still consider myself a somewhat-newbie, given that there is still much I have to learn. I've just recently (in the last year) started making use of what Logos offers online. Earlier this year I watched just about every training video there was for Logos 3, which was quite helpful. And now that I'm on vacation I plan to watch the Logos 4 videos. Just in the last month I crossgraded to Logos 4 and I don't quite like it yet. I'm just so used to 3. Anyone else had the same issue? Hopefully watching the videos will help get me more excited about it.

I own the Bible Study Library, Biblioteca Académica Bilingüe and Original Languages, and several other resources I've added.

I use Logos mainly for academic and personal study, but also for teaching prep. A little over 4 years ago I moved to Costa Rica where I've been studying for my Bachelor's in Bible with emphasis in missions. In January I'll be starting my Master's in NT. The libraries here lack many of the best resources available, so Logos has been excellent in providing those for me (at least the ones I can afford!).

My wish list:

Given the lack of good resources here, my wish list consists mainly of commentaries and dictionaries. I'd love to have NIGTC, EDNT, NIDNTT, NIDOTT, ISBE, the 4 volume IVP dictionary set (DNTB, DLNTD, DPL, DJG) and the top 3 or 4 best commentaries on each NT book. I'd also really like to have Philo and Josephus in Greek, The Early Church Fathers Protestant Edition, and perhaps some day, Patrologia Cursus Completus, Series Graeca, Part 1 (Vols. 1–18) and the rest. Not much, huh!

Comments/questions (I'm not sure where to send these, so I'm including them here):

1. I've noticed that not all my resources crossed over to v.4, for example Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum by Aland. Is that to be expected?
  2. It would be great if v.4 had a menu option for Parallel Passages like v.3, where all the harmony and synopsis resources are automatically collected. Actually, it would be great if there were options under Text Comparison like in v.3.
  3. I noticed that the NASB Concordance doesn't have a search window. That's an absolute must! I looked up a word the other day and had to select the letter, then the alphabetical word range where my word would be located, then select the actual word. In v.3 I just typed the word in the search window and it went right to it.

Sorry I wrote so much! I'm just excited about the forum and about meeting people here.

Costa Rica

ESEPA Seminary

Posts 53
Geertruida Selter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 1:48 AM

I've been a logos user for about 10 years and updated each time when upgrades became available and each upgrade was an improvement on the older system.  I've been building up my library gradually over the years, upgrading from one package to the other and now with Logos 4 upgraded to platinum. I'm using the pre-bub and community pricing to add books to my library.

I'm using Logos for my personal devotions as well as for study and preparing articles and group studies.

I'm at present trying to find my way around Logos 4, using it next to Libronix, one of the advices I found on one of the Logos 4 forums. It is a bit more difficult finding my way around it as a lot of things are different to Libronix. I do find the help section quite helpful in customising the home page. A lot of people did say on the logos 4 forums that the indexing took such a long time. I found that overnight all the work was done and everything worked smoothly.

It is too early days with Logos 4 for me to have a wish list, but the extension of the training video's to cover more features would not be a bad thing, though I surmise that you are working on that.

Before I stumbled in my local christian book store on Logos I'd been exploring and using other bible software, but even in the early days of Logos I found it to be better and easier to use than bible explorer and bible on line.  Once I started using it, I am afraid I'm hooked for life on Logos.

Posts 1
lcl624 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 4:11 AM

Hi.  I have been using Logos for more than 20 years and I now use the Scholar's package, plus a number of items I have added over the years.  I just installed Logos 4.  I like what I find so far though it does take a little to get used to it.  I am past 85 years of age and really like doing Greek and Hebrew personal translations using the Logos instruments. 

I also have Steve Green's MIDI Hymnal.  I like to turn to a hymn every day and sing along with the MIDI music (of course when no one can hear me!).  However with Logos 4 I still haven't been able to get the MIDI music to function.  Can someone tell me what I have to do.

By the way I live in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.  My email address is lcl624 AT yahoo.com.

Posts 1972
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 4:31 AM

LeRoyLindahl:
By the way I live in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.  My email address is

LeRoy, click on the "More" button above your post, select edit and remove the "at" symbol from your email address and replace with the word "AT". This way, spambots can't scrape the site, find your address and send you lots of emails for medicinal products.

Posts 0
Rev. Scott W. Block | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:12 AM

Hey, thanks for inviting the newbies. I started using Logos way back when it came on 3.5 floppy disks. Upgraded to three a few years back and have now upgraded to Scholar's Gold 4. Top notch program, none better. My resources number over a 1,000 now which is a great help. It's true, the more you own, the better the searches become. I am a Lutheran Pastor and use this program daily. I wish that some of the features come back, like sermon file, the addins I purchased for "reading" the Greek and Hebrew, not just pronouncing the words, and most of all, I miss the "scroll" function from my laptop touch pad to scroll the panels. Peace to all.

Rev. Scott Block

Posts 7
Shairon Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:34 AM

I have been a Logos user for about 10 years, purchased Logos when it was on floppy's, have upgraded frequently, just recently purchased Logos 4 Gold.

I have not had the time to really get into it and learn all the in's and out's, but so far it is a little overwhelming, I'm sure as I get more aquainted with the program it will be as wonderful as Logos 3 is. I have attended several of Morris Proctor's seminars for L3, he is an excellent instructor.

I mainly use Logos for my personal Bible Study. My wish list would be that after attending several of the seminars there would be a price break for any additional instruction seminars. I am grateful for the privlege of being able to have such a great tool to study the Word of God and the resources for training.

Thanks to all who work so hard to provide these resources.

God Bless

Shairon

Posts 3
DwainPenrod | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:53 AM

I have been a Logos user for 7 years or more.

I have the Leaders Library and it is awesome and overwhelming. I am frustrated by my lack of real use of so much information. I have a Bible reading plan and devotionals that I read most every day. I use Logos for teaching Sunday School and other Bible studies but it seems that so much is wasted because of lack of real understanding of how to use properly.

I have registered for the Camp Logos in Las Vegas on February 4-5, 2010. I'm hoping that will get me to make the most of this tool to be a "Kingdom builder."

Page 1 of 9 (176 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS