BUG: Close Active Layout doesn't close anything...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 3 2013 11:16 AM

OK, admittedly the check mark next to the active layout does disappear, but all the panels stay open. Surely it isn't by intent that you're forcing us to use both the Close Active Layout command and the Close All command before we can get to a blank screen that that can safely be used, without risking to do anything unwanted to other layouts?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 3 2013 11:31 AM

OK, like a dunce, I fell for it.

I already knew Dave had a thread on active-layouts which you thanked him for.

But I dutifully clicked on the 'Close Active Layout' to watch, and sure enough, nothing visually happened, except in the title bar. 

It was at that point I realized my 90-resource layout had become orphan-ized. Quickly jumping to the rescue, I clicked on the layout name to re-activate and then watched Logos add 90 MORE resources, generating an all time record of 180 resouces open (before deleting the first 90). Yahoo!

Of course, the second 90 resouces had all the floating windows mixed up, forcing a 'real' close all, and re-start (another 90 resource load).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 27224
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:12 PM

DMB:
It was at that point I realized my 90-resource layout had become orphan-ized.

Sad

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27224
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:17 PM

fgh:
Surely it isn't by intent that you're forcing us to use both the Close Active Layout command and the Close All command before we can get to a blank screen that that can safely be used,

This was raised in the last beta, when AL was introduced, and I'm surprised it hasn't been introduced.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:26 AM

Hey Guys,

A little clarification (meanwhile, we have a training article in the works):

• "Close All" will close all open panels, etc.
  • "Close Active Layout" will "de-activate" the current layout. It's not actually closing the panels, but it's preventing accidentally updating the active layout by de-activating it. This is by design.

If you would like to "Close All" while deactivating your layout, you may want to create a new layout from blank. Just load a blank layout, then save it as "Blank Layout". Then, instead of closing anything, load that blank layout.

I would recommend doing this from an actual blank layout, by opening the application to a blank layout and saving that. This way there is no extra data from the previous layout held in memory when the blank slate is saved.

This is a brand new feature for a brand new concept. If you have feedback on making this more obvious, or better functionality - keeping in mind that this should be as intuitive as possible for even novice users, we'd love your feedback. If you'd like to see changes to this design, you can request them in the User Voice venue.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 10845
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 12:05 PM

Mike (Tech Support):

• "Close Active Layout" will "de-activate" the current layout. It's not actually closing the panels, but it's preventing accidentally updating the active layout by de-activating it. This is by design.

"Close All" will deactivate the current layout. Rather than changing "Close Active Layout", perhaps it would be better to instruct users that "Close All" accomplishes the same thing.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 12:28 PM

Mike (Tech Support):

Hey Guys,

A little clarification (meanwhile, we have a training article in the works):

[...]

Thanks Mike.

Adding to: I think that there should be an internal timer associated with any/all open layout. In that I would not have to manually "Update current snapshot" just to save any changes, study wise, that have been done in any particular layout. We aleady have an "application closed" in RHS 'Layout', that we can refer back to....

R4m.

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 27224
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 4 2013 12:44 PM

Mike (Tech Support):
This is a brand new feature for a brand new concept. If you have feedback on making this more obvious, or better functionality - keeping in mind that this should be as intuitive as possible for even novice users, we'd love your feedback. If you'd like to see changes to this design, you can request them in the User Voice venue.

Mike,

There's nothing intuitive about Active Layout, especially for novices. If I put anything in User Voice it would be to scrap the whole concept, because it is inherently buggy and I can easily find inconsistencies and scenarios that would have anybody wishing for Libronix Workspaces, even if they never heard of itStick out tongue. See my latest findings in Desktop Beta.

Mike (Tech Support):

If you would like to "Close All" while deactivating your layout, you may want to create a new layout from blank. Just load a blank layout, then save it as "Blank Layout". Then, instead of closing anything, load that blank layout.

I'm sorry, but closing = de-activating? I end up in no man's land because I thought "closing" actually meant something!? If it said "de-activate active layout" I wouldn't make that mistake, but then I wouldn't be that concerned about "accidentally" updating the layout (from Layouts menu?) because we change the layout every time we do something.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS