The New Pope is American! *smile* South American, that is!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 13 2013 1:06 PM

Peace to my Logos Forums Brothers and Sisters!          *smile*

Argentinian, actually!                   I am Lutheran, and I pray that God would truly bless the Roman Catholic Church as an integral part of Christendom these last critical days.

St. Paul and St. Augustine and Martin Luther and many others believed that they were living in the last days -- the final eschatological time; and they were indeed correct!           So Luther went out and planted the proverbial apple tree, eh???

One of these days for sure the Lord is coming for this 76 year old, and may God fulfill his purpose in me until he comes to "collect me"!          *smile*

Roman Catholic Logos Software Users (Verbum!) -- you and your mother church are and will be in my prayers!

*smile*

P.S.   Thanks, Rosie, for your post!         Much appreciated!       *smile*

Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Today 1:04 PM Blessings and congratulations to all our Catholic brothers and sisters on the election of a new pope. I pray for Francis I, that he might indeed live up to what his name symbolizes: poverty, humility, simplicity, reform.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1872
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 1:15 PM

Yes, we can and should pray for him.  As Melancthon said,

I, PHILIP MELANTHON, also regard the above articles as true and Christian. However, concerning the pope I maintain that if he would allow the gospel, we, too, may (for the sake of peace and general unity among those Christians who are now under him and might be in the future) grant to him his superiority over the bishops which he has “by human right.”

It is not without reason that it is spoken of as the room of tears.  He has a tough job...

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 946
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 1:52 PM

Milford

Has he written any books and when are going to see them in Logos?

P A

Posts 1034
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:02 PM

Did someone mention Luther:

(https://twitter.com/CatholicNewsSvc/status/311922062304358400)

Cardinal Tauran says indulgence available to those watching TV, listening radio, following on "new means of communication" (us!)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:06 PM

P A:

Milford

P A

Honestly know nothing about the new pope!      *smile*          Will be following the news very, very closely indeed!      I'm assuming his first language is Spanish; however, I wouldn't even know that for sure.  Assumptions are often wrong, eh???

BTW, Paul, you make a good witness for our loving and gracious Lord in your sharing, "Philippians 2:10-11 So that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,  and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.  ESV John 13:34 -35 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”  ESV"                        Thank you!                Peace!                             And, Always Joy in the Lord!                  *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:13 PM

Mike Pettit:

Did someone mention Luther:

(https://twitter.com/CatholicNewsSvc/status/311922062304358400)

Cardinal Tauran says indulgence available to those watching TV, listening radio, following on "new means of communication" (us!)

Peace, Mike!         *smile*                     I'm not familiar with Cardinal Tauran.  I'd be interested in the quote if you have it.           Is there a "charge" for the indulgence?  Why is it given?  Who gets it??           Curiouser and Curiouser, eh???

We certainly don't want Luther to have to "roll over in his grave"!          *smile*

Posts 9673
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:35 PM

We live in interesting times. He needs our prayers.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 3:00 PM

P A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Francis#Bibliography

We probably won't be seeing them in Logos unless/until they are translated into English, which I'm sure will be happening anon now that he's pope. Then again maybe the Spanish versions could be made available for Spanish-speaking Logos users sooner. After all, they got Justo Gonzalez's 2-volume Story of Christianity in Spanish and it's still not available in English!

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 3:07 PM

So, first American, first Jesuit, first Francis, first new papal name for a thousand years or so... That's a lot of firsts. And I'm sure there's more I haven't figured out yet.

(I'm not counting 'John Paul', as that was just a combination of the names of the two preceding popes.)

Milford Charles Murray:
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Today 1:04 PM Blessings and congratulations to all our Catholic brothers and sisters on the election of a new pope. I pray for Francis I, that he might indeed live up to what his name symbolizes: poverty, humility, simplicity, reform.

I imagine that's the 'wrong' Francis. As he's a Jesuit, St Francis Xavier would be my first guess. But he may very well be thinking of both. From all I've had time to read, he truly does have a simple lifestyle, and from all reports, the Cardinals seem to have been very eager to elect someone who could 'build up the Church'. Plus I saw something about either Argentina or his diocese there also having a Francis something as patron saint. 

Milford Charles Murray:
I'm assuming his first language is Spanish; however, I wouldn't even know that for sure.

His father was Italian, so perhaps both Spanish and Italian?

P A:

Wikipedia lists

Books
  • Jorge Bergoglio and Abraham Skorka (authors), Sobre el cielo y la tierra (In English On Heaven and Earth) (Spanish Edition), Sudamericana (2010)
Writings
  • Meditaciones para religiosos (1982)
  • Reflexiones sobre la vida apostólica (1986)
  • Reflexiones de esperanza (1992)

(Note: the Wikipedia page is being updated virtually every minute, so this list could change quickly.)

There should also be a doctoral thesis.

Mike Pettit:

Yes, there was an indulgence, but I'm pretty sure the normal conditions apply, including going to Confession and Communion within a certain timeframe. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 4:24 PM

Peace, fgh!                  Thanks very much for such an excellent post!             Very informative!   Very helpful to me!         Well-Done!     *smile*

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 5:27 PM

Argentinian - South American...

http://gma.yahoo.com/white-smoke-over-sistine-chapel-means-new-pope-elected-180953008.html

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 13 2013 6:22 PM

Bruce Dunning:

We live in interesting times. He needs our prayers.

YesIndeed.

From Pope to Laity. Corner Church and Synagogue. From house to house and heart to heart. All the world needs prayers. All to the Greater Glory of God. Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS