What commentaries has Logos discontinued selling?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 21 2013 2:07 AM

Being a somewhat newer user of Logos, I'm curious as to what commentaries (or other popular resources) that Logos once sold but no longer sells (though I realize that some may still be available from third-party sellers).

Some I have identified include:

- Daily Study Bible

- Jerome Biblical Commentary

- Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture

- Oxford Bible Commentary

And I wasn't sure if Logos previously offered the New International Biblical Commentary prior to releasing the Understanding the Bible Commentary Series (even though I understand them to be virtually the same).

Any help from all you veteran Logos users would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posts 4662
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 3:15 AM

They used to sell the NIBC. My understanding is that the Understanding the Bible Commentary is not just the same, but a reminted version of NIBC

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 6:11 AM

Biblical Archaeology Review (BAR). There is a discussion going on right now in the Logos 5 -forum.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 10:55 AM

Thanks, Fredc and Unix.

If any one knows of any others, I'd would really love to know.

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 11:10 AM

The New Daily Study Bible is available!

http://www.logos.com/product/6752/the-new-daily-study-bible-new-testament

P A

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 11:30 AM

P A:

The New Daily Study Bible is available!

http://www.logos.com/product/6752/the-new-daily-study-bible-new-testament

P A

Yes, there is the New Daily Study Bible. I have, however, heard that some people prefer the original DSB. I'm not sure how much different it is.

Posts 10321
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 11:47 AM

The day Jerome Commentary dropped off Logos.com was the 'day the music died'.  Oxford is 'okaaaaay', but it's just not Jerome.  

I don't think they now offer the KJB Commentary? (or renamed?) That's was an interesting one from Liberty on Logos.

Then there's the Japanese/English reverse interlinear. But Bob has hinted ....

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 12:02 PM

• The Ultimate Archaeology Collection 

• Vatican Council II: Conciliar and Post Conciliar Documents (though that's now back on prepub together with volume II)

You can probably find a few more if you work your way through the years in the left column here: http://www.libronix.com/page.aspx?id=partner98.

The most asked for discontinued product is, of course, the NIV 84.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 12:27 PM

Does anyone know why Logos would discontinue a book after it had been produced? That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 12:38 PM

Generally because they've lost the rights to them.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 1:09 PM

DMB:

I don't think they now offer the KJB Commentary? (or renamed?) That's was an interesting one from Liberty on Logos.

I found something in my Logos library called the King James Version Study Bible. It might be what you are referring to. The title page says this:

The King James Version Study Bible

(previously published as The Liberty Annotated Study Bible and as
The Annotated Study Bible, King James Version)
Copyright 1988 by Liberty University

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 1:15 PM

fgh:
Generally because they've lost the rights to them.

OK, that does make sense. 

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 1:23 PM

fgh:

You can probably find a few more if you work your way through the years in the left column here: http://www.libronix.com/page.aspx?id=partner98.

This is a great link, fgh. It's fascinating to see some of the really old titles that were available. Thanks! 

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 21 2013 1:38 PM

I certainly trust and hope that Logos has some sort of perpetual right to continue to update resources (e.g. links and typos), even if the right to sell particular works has lapsed. This is especially relevant for longer reference works, which probably have some residual errors, or could always benefit from more extensive linking.

One of the selling points that attracted me to Logos was the permanence and portability of that digital information.

I'd hate for "digital rot" to creep into my Logos resources.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 22 2013 10:26 AM

Logos did loose the rights to Interpretation series, but gained it back, and yes the Daily Study Bible again lost the rights, but has since gained rights not to sell them but to allow owners access to them on their mobile devices, the New Daily Study Bible of course is offered now (I was overjoyed the day i found out the Daily Study Bible Old Testament was available on my iPad). 

-dan

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS