Moody titles will be going away

Page 16 of 19 (372 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »
This post has 371 Replies | 22 Followers

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:04 PM

NB.Mick:
Tom, the automated scripture tagging for Vyrso is not capable of getting commentaries right. Thus, it resolves about 90% wrong (and wrong scripture links are worse than none) - actually, following the massive complaints in the forum about Vyrso commentaries, Logos has pulled all but three vyrso books from the respective category and one of the three seems a mis-attribution to me, the other two are showcases for not to do commentaries in Vyrso. Not only many of the now vanished John MacArthur books are commentaries in a narrow or broader sense, I think this probably holds true for many others of the former Moody works, too. And since Vyrso books typically sell at much lower prices, I don't really think Moody will get a much larger share by putting books to Vyrso that once were available for Logos. Still hoping they get to their senses. Mick 
I agree, commentaries are very very very bad books in Vyrso, and some of the books that have been pulled will be missed by some.

I am saying that most of the Moody books were not commentaries, and they could be Vyrso books.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:10 PM

tom:
I am saying that most of the Moody books were not commentaries, and they could be Vyrso books.

If Logos and Moody couldn't reach a contract agreement on selling them as Logos books, that means that Logos is not willing to accept an even lower profit margin on those books than they were getting under the old contract, which means they wouldn't be willing to sell them as Vyrso books where they get just a few pennies per book.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:27 PM

Rosie Perera:
If Logos and Moody couldn't reach a contract agreement on selling them as Logos books, that means that Logos is not willing to accept an even lower profit margin on those books than they were getting under the old contract, which means they wouldn't be willing to sell them as Vyrso books where they get just a few pennies per book.
But Logos is selling 689 Moody books on the Vyrso site now.

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2013 6:33 PM

tom:

Rosie Perera:
But Logos is selling 689 Moody books on the Vyrso site now.

But were not those books originally sold as Vyrso books and thus did not have as great a financial investment from Logos?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 2:59 AM

Bruce Dunning:
But were not those books originally sold as Vyrso books and thus did not have as great a financial investment from Logos?
Yes, and I will say that a good number of Moody books did not have a "great financial investment" because they do not have a lot of tagging, and those Moody books are the ones that will work as Vyrso books.

Posts 2966
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 5:40 PM

Jack Caviness:

MacArthur's commentaries are all pastoral, with some decent sermon material, but little for research purposes. Lutzer is much the same.

For some unique perspectives not represented well among other commentaries, check MacArthur on James 5 healing and for Jesus' statements about the poor widow giving her last coin. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 28374
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 5:54 PM

Jacob Hantla:
For some unique perspectives not represented well among other commentaries, check MacArthur

Unfortunately, I cant. Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2013 6:10 PM

alabama24:

Jacob Hantla:
For some unique perspectives not represented well among other commentaries, check MacArthur

Unfortunately, I cant. Stick out tongue

That made me laugh. I can't either. Big Smile

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 3:11 AM

Jacob Hantla:
check MacArthur on James 5 healing

Working in James 2 now, will be sure to check MacArthur when I get there. Thanks for the tip.

Posts 3
David Petraitis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 1:31 PM

arrggh ... I wished Logos would have sent out an email to it's customers that this was going to happen rather than having to read bout this in a forum after trying to place an order for books in my wish list that no longer exist.   Frustrating

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 3:44 PM

David Petraitis:

arrggh ... I wished Logos would have sent out an email to it's customers that this was going to happen rather than having to read bout this in a forum after trying to place an order for books in my wish list that no longer exist.   Frustrating

Suggest calling Logos Customer Service.

Super Tramp:
btw: Logos has purged the website of all copyrighted Moody titles except the AM Bible Courseware.

Irony: AM Bible Courseware includes references to other titles by Moody: e.g. The Moody Handbook of Theology and A General Introduction to the Bible.

Thankful for a number of Moody resources, which were included in older Logos base packages.  Dreaming of a Moody companion bundle for AM Bible Courseware.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 4:22 PM

Jack Caviness:

Jacob Hantla:
check MacArthur on James 5 healing

Working in James 2 now, will be sure to check MacArthur when I get there. Thanks for the tip.

Peace, Brother Jack                       Illustrious Young'un!      *smile*            Guess you are not a "Young'un," any longer, but rather an Elder of Jesus' Church ......              But, still younger than me, so you have to listen to your elders....               *smile*

After reading this thread, I became impatient and took an advance "peep" at MacArthur on James ......      Old Age and patience do not always go together, eh???                     

If you want to do an extremely interesting "study," and you happen to have Lenski's commentary, you might want to open up his study of James 5.  I found it fascinating personally .........      which, of course, is no guarantee that you will .....

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 489
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 5:31 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

After reading this thread, I became impatient and took an advance "peep" at MacArthur on James ......      Old Age and patience do not always go together, eh???                     

If you want to do an extremely interesting "study," and you happen to have Lenski's commentary, you might want to open up his study of James 5.  I found it fascinating personally .........      which, of course, is no guarantee that you will .....

Thanks for the heads-up Milford. I am beginning a series on James and Lenski is boxed up along with most of my physical library due to a remodeling project at church. You have raised by curiosity and I will dig that volume out for my study.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 7:57 PM

Nord Zootman:

Milford Charles Murray:

Thanks for the heads-up Milford. I am beginning a series on James and Lenski is boxed up along with most of my physical library due to a remodeling project at church. You have raised by curiosity and I will dig that volume out for my study.

Nord!          *smile*                If you have any difficulties in finding your Lenski's     ,  (or they are under a pile of heavy boxes!)  ....      please drop a note and I'll attach a few paragraphs to a post ......

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 489
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2013 8:09 PM

Milford - thanks for the offer. I had to move a bunch of boxes, but I found it.

Posts 10691
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 2:00 AM

Nord Zootman:
. I had to move a bunch of boxes, but I found it.

Otherwise, Logos might help: http://www.logos.com/product/8178/the-interpretation-of-the-epistle-to-the-hebrews-and-of-the-epistle-of-james 

Regarding James, be sure not to overlook http://www.logos.com/product/25001/james-evangelical-exegetical-commentary 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10737
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 3:48 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

As I have both Lenski and MacArthur, I will be sure to check both. BTW: I already make it a normal practice to check Lenski on each passage.

N B Mick:

Also on my "must consult" list Geeked

After my own analysis I normally consult Ross, Moo, Davids, Holloway, Richardson, Varner, Lenski, Barton, Stulac, & Adamson. Then, look at a custom PG for other resources with interesting comments. My study notes have turned into a commentary, and I cannot seem to help myself Big Smile

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2013 4:53 AM

Peace, Jack!                       You are Seven Feet Tall to me!        *smile*         A real forgiven sinner washed in the Blood of the Lamb who seeks to know and follow every Word from the Shepherd!              Well-Done, Brother!                      *smile*                If ever you make a PB, be sure to share the .docx file with a few of your friends!             You could make a "commentary" PB even!

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 11:54 AM

Well, I don't use Moody stuff much, but I went through Moody's titles before they disappeared and picked up a few things that I thought I might need at some point. Wouldn't you know it? Some research that I am doing requires a Moody book that Logos used to have.  Any word from Logos if and when a new contact might be sorted? This leaves me to buy it in Kindle format. SadNoCryingIndifferentTongue TiedSad

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2013 11:59 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Well, I don't use Moody stuff much, but I went through Moody's titles before they disappeared and picked up a few things that I thought I might need at some point. Wouldn't you know it? Some research that I am doing requires a Moody book that Logos used to have.  Any word from Logos if and when a new contact might be sorted? This leaves me to buy it in Kindle format. SadNoCryingIndifferentTongue TiedSad

I feel your pain! Sad

Page 16 of 19 (372 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS