Logos 5 uses 250MB of RAM and even more memory loss when leaving open

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33
Warren Dane | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 4 2013 7:31 AM

Logos 5 uses a huge amount of memory (225-250MB) to operate even when only 4 books are open. It takes a long time to load initially (31 secs) with my core 2 duo 6GB machine. The delay is associated with the need to sync with the Logos server and I have an 80MB down and 35MB up high speed connection. When leaving Logos 5 open to avoid the slow load time, it gradually absorbs even more memory resulting in a Windows notice that I am out of memory - RAM & virtual. After closing Logos and any other open programs, the machine continues to run slow requiring a reboot to get back to normal. I am using an always updated Win7 OS with the above described hardware. Logos 5 is too useful to stop using, but it would be good if there were a fix. ?? Perhaps the size of memory used is required for coding all the features available in L5. It is frustrating. Wish there were a fix. 

Posts 196
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 10:46 AM

I am staying with Version 4 until I see things settle down. I am on a Windows 7 machine with 8gb of ram and version 4 satisfies me.

I am guessing version 5 was rushed out for the end of the year and not quite ready for many users. Of course, what do I know of such things?

Ergatees

Posts 381
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 12:40 PM

I wish it would use much more RAM not less. It's limited due to addressing constraints in the development platform. I have 48 gig of RAM on tap and Logos can use maybe 2 Gig of that.

Posts 5066
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 1:49 PM

Warren Dane:

Logos 5 uses a huge amount of memory (225-250MB) to operate even when only 4 books are open. It takes a long time to load initially (31 secs) with my core 2 duo 6GB machine. The delay is associated with the need to sync with the Logos server and I have an 80MB down and 35MB up high speed connection. When leaving Logos 5 open to avoid the slow load time, it gradually absorbs even more memory resulting in a Windows notice that I am out of memory - RAM & virtual. After closing Logos and any other open programs, the machine continues to run slow requiring a reboot to get back to normal. I am using an always updated Win7 OS with the above described hardware. Logos 5 is too useful to stop using, but it would be good if there were a fix. ?? Perhaps the size of memory used is required for coding all the features available in L5. It is frustrating. Wish there were a fix. 

Something's wrong here. Looking at Windows TaskManager, I see Logos using about 85MB with 37 tabs in a 3 column display (with several visual filters, and annotations displaying in some). Looking at the resource monitor, I'm watching variations from as low as 85MB to 175MB (currently at 173.668KB = roughly 173MB ).

Further, Logos should not have a memory leak. I generally leave my copy open all day, and have never seen the message you describe. I also have 6GB RAM.

So here are a few questions:

• How are you determining how much RAM Logos is using?
  • How many visual filters and annotations (etc). are you loading in these windows, and how large are they?
  • How much free space do you have available for your system cache (aka: pagefile.sys) on your boot drive?
  • Do you have any so called "memory optimization" tools running? (If so, shut them down and try without them - is it better?)

Again, I don't think this is a Logos issue as I've not heard of it before outside of early beta testing, though it's possible that there is a corrupt installation of Logos, or your Logos program may be infected with some sort of computer virus (have you checked?).

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 3:36 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Looking at Windows TaskManager, I see Logos using about 85MB with 37 tabs in a 3 column display
L5 beta is  using 503 MB with 22 resources open.

I am not using L5 (just open my Easter layout), and it is still using close to 60% of my CPU, and this is very normal for me.

Posts 16414
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 3:52 PM

Warren Dane:
Logos 5 uses a huge amount of memory (225-250MB) to operate even when only 4 books are open. It takes a long time to load initially (31 secs) with my core 2 duo 6GB machine.

Loogos is greedy, typically using 200 - 300 MB for 5 - 8 resources.

Warren Dane:
When leaving Logos 5 open to avoid the slow load time, it gradually absorbs even more memory resulting in a Windows notice that I am out of memory - RAM & virtual. After closing Logos and any other open programs, the machine continues to run slow requiring a reboot to get back to normal.

I have left it open for 7 days without problem on my 4 GB laptop. Memory use is always in the range quoted. If I open additional resources, I usually close them after use.

Provide more complete details of your hardware, including video card and memory. Do you defragment the hard drive regularly?

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 7478
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 4:27 PM

tom:
I am not using L5 (just open my Easter layout), and it is still using close to 60% of my CPU, and this is very normal for me.

If you're not using L5, and it's not syncing, it should use zero CPU. If not, either you need to let it finish syncing, or there's a problem with your installation.

Resource Monitor and logs can help diagnose what's causing this. It's not normal.

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 4:39 PM

Mark Barnes:

tom:

If you're not using L5, and it's not syncing, it should use zero CPU. If not, either you need to let it finish syncing, or there's a problem with your installation.

Resource Monitor and logs can help diagnose what's causing this. It's not normal.

Hi Mark,

I keep the internet turned off because Logos is too slow with it turned on.  After I got back from the laundromat, CPU for L5 did get down to zero, but it took L5 some (unknown) time to get there.

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 4:45 PM

Peace!   *smile*              At this moment I have 21 resources open and my CPU usage is 2%, hardly active, sometimes goes up to 3 or 4%, then back down to 2.  This is normal for me.

Edit:        Logos 5.0b SR3               Windows 8 Pro          --         i7 Intel -- 8G ram

Edit2:  Also, at least once a week I use cCleaner and DeFraggler      (please forgive the spelling   ...   have to do an errand & have no time to look it up)

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 7478
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 11:05 PM

tom:
I keep the internet turned off because Logos is too slow with it turned on.  After I got back from the laundromat, CPU for L5 did get down to zero, but it took L5 some (unknown) time to get there.

If you (or anyone else) wants to diagnose CPU utilization like this, then make sure unnecessary background services are turned off, use Performance Monitor to record CPU usage (I recommend a Sample Interval of 1s or 2s), turn on Logos' Logging and load Logos, and do whatever causes the CPU spikes you're concerned about. (Or RAM usage, or whatever you're concerned about.)

Then upload both the Logos logs and the perfmon data set here, with a brief summary of your system spec, size of library, and briefly what you did during the Log.

That said, some of the figures quoted in this thread are within 'normal' parameters (in particular, the original post of 250MB RAM and 30s to load up) are well within 'normal' parameters if it's the first time you've loaded Logos since booting, particularly if you're not loading to a blank layout. Subsequent loading of Logos should be much quicker if you have a reasonable about of RAM (less than 10s to a blank layout).

But heavy CPU usage when not doing anything and memory leakage, are not 'normal', and should be investigated rather than put up with.

Posts 7478
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 11:06 PM

Ergatees:

I am staying with Version 4 until I see things settle down. I am on a Windows 7 machine with 8gb of ram and version 4 satisfies me.

I am guessing version 5 was rushed out for the end of the year and not quite ready for many users. Of course, what do I know of such things?

Most Windows users (and nearly all Mac users) will tell you that L5 is more stable than L4.

Posts 13628
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 4 2013 11:16 PM

Ergatees:
Of course, what do I know of such things?

I don't know. Do you have any supporting evidence? I find L5 much more stable than L4 ... but I didn't document L4 problems because everyone else was.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 6:53 AM

Mark Barnes:

tom:

If you (or anyone else) wants to diagnose CPU utilization like this, then make sure unnecessary background services are turned off, use Performance Monitor to record CPU usage (I recommend a Sample Interval of 1s or 2s), turn on Logos' Logging and load Logos, and do whatever causes the CPU spikes you're concerned about. (Or RAM usage, or whatever you're concerned about.)

Then upload both the Logos logs and the perfmon data set here, with a brief summary of your system spec, size of library, and briefly what you did during the Log.

That said, some of the figures quoted in this thread are within 'normal' parameters (in particular, the original post of 250MB RAM and 30s to load up) are well within 'normal' parameters if it's the first time you've loaded Logos since booting, particularly if you're not loading to a blank layout. Subsequent loading of Logos should be much quicker if you have a reasonable about of RAM (less than 10s to a blank layout).

But heavy CPU usage when not doing anything and memory leakage, are not 'normal', and should be investigated rather than put up with.

I am now thinking that L5 was running the layout's PG when I had it open in the background.  FYI... I am still using the same computers that I had when L4 came out, and I was told back then that my computers were "too old" for Logos 4.

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 6:55 AM

Mark Barnes:
Most Windows users (and nearly all Mac users) will tell you that L5 is more stable than L4.
Yes

Posts 196
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 7:04 AM

Christ is Risen!

well, I did say I was guessing. I am finding my version 4 better than before, but perhaps my having added 4gb of ram helped.

the only occasional problem I have is I believe due to the video card crashing door due to insufficient ram.

buying additional books has limited to v. 4 for the time being. I'll be going to v.5 later in the year.

ergatees

Posts 2944
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 7:22 AM

Ergatees:

Christ is Risen!

well, I did say I was guessing. I am finding my version 4 better than before, but perhaps my having added 4gb of ram helped.

the only occasional problem I have is I believe due to the video card crashing door due to insufficient ram.

buying additional books has limited to v. 4 for the time being. I'll be going to v.5 later in the year.

ergatees

You can download L5 for free.  This is what I did because I would not use any of the resources that came with L5.

Posts 184
Thinking | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 8:13 AM

After using L5 for several months it appears to be more of a marketing move than major update. It fixes somethings in L4 for the most part making it a more, though not completely stable product on my system. Others report that it is completely stable for them. I've tried leaving it on in the background as Bob has recommended, but find that it uses too many of my resources since I only have 4 Gb of RAM on my MacBook Pro. As I mentioned on another post some time ago, I can't detect any significant speed enhancement on my machine.

Any computer company incurs costs with continuous development (and maintenance of these forums that sometimes I complain on). I think it is reasonable to pay for the continued investment of the company in improving the product, even if I hate the underlying MONO it is based on. The program is not getting worse, it is not being neglected by the company, and the forums reflect the maturing of the product with increased user acceptance (or at least begrudging acquiescence).

Posts 7478
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 9:40 AM

Phil Mills:
After using L5 for several months it appears to be more of a marketing move than major update.

Apart from speed/stability enhancements, most of the major benefits of L5 come with the paid upgrades. If you haven't paid for a crossgrade or the core datasets, you'll be missing out. But there's certainly plenty for free:

• Roots - worth upgrading for this alone!
  • Search helps
  • Image searching
  • Sympathetic highlighting in search results
  • Better document organisation
  • Bibliographies
  • Passage Lists
  • Locked book previews
  • Topic Guide

As I said, I'm pretty sure those are all free upgrades with Logos 5.

Posts 196
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 9:51 AM

Hallelujah!

Thanks for your good reports.

Looking forward to getting Logos5 when I have some time. Very busy these days and traveling. Will be in Alabama next weekend. Did YOU get that, Alabama?  Wink

Ergatees

Posts 15714
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 5 2013 11:42 AM

Ergatees:
Will be in Alabama next weekend. Did YOU get that, Alabama?

Yes I did! Smile

To add just a tiny thing to what the others wrote: L5 is a continuation of L4… It is certainly a bigger update than from say 4.5 to 4.6… but it is different by degree, not different by kind. Does that make sense? 

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS