Robert Shank's books: Life in the Son and Elect in the Son

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 58
Shmuel Birnbaum | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 4:57 AM

Back in Bible school, I was exposed to two excellent books by Robert Shank, presenting an alternative to the Calvinist position on eternal security and predestination. 

His books, Life in the Son and Elect in the Son. I was very surprised when I found that neither were available at Logos, but could be bought at Amazon.  

Does the tool feature "Personal Books" enable me to enter such purchases into my Logos system and library? Will in enable full linking and Logos functions?

However, my encouragement to Logos..get these two important books into the library!!

Shmuel Birnbaum

Posts 10126
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 7 2013 5:46 AM

Shmuel Birnbaum:

Back in Bible school, I was exposed to two excellent books by Robert Shank, presenting an alternative to the Calvinist position on eternal security and predestination. 

His books, Life in the Son and Elect in the Son. I was very surprised when I found that neither were available at Logos (...) my encouragement to Logos..get these two important books into the library!!

They have been requested before in the Suggestions forum - I just updated two threads there with a link to your post, since the Logos product developers are tracking such suggestions and user interest may persuade them to strike a contract with the publisher (my paper copy of "Elect in the Son" is from Bethany House, who have some titles with Logos).

Shmuel Birnbaum:
Does the tool feature "Personal Books" enable me to enter such purchases into my Logos system and library? Will in enable full linking and Logos functions?

Well, this is a tricky question. What you usually get from eBook retailers will be DRM-protected files, and Logos Personal Books are made from Word files in *.docx format. While many western jurisdictions know a consumer's right to private digital copies, many have outlawed in the letter of the law (most not in active persecution) the breaking of DRM, which may or may not include using e.g. Calibre with a plugin to create a non-DRM file. Apart from the legal uncertainty, some people question the ethics of upholding or breaking DRM in such cases. Technically this is feasible.

Such a PB will automatically detect and link most bible references, it will be found in searches etc just like a Logos or Vyrso resource. However, there's some manual work to show footnotes correctly and to insert the links to other Logos works (Shanks cites commentaries and systematic theologal works, such as Berkouwer). Obviously, you wouldn't be allowed to share such a file.

Let's hope Logos supplies it! 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 506
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 4:09 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:
However, my encouragement to Logos..get these two important books into the library!!

I agree wholeheartedly.  Logos needs to add these resources. 

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2013 6:32 PM

Shmuel Birnbaum:

His books, Life in the Son and Elect in the Son. I was very surprised when I found that neither were available at Logos, but could be bought at Amazon.  

I have read them. Very good books.

Another book you might want to look at is Dan Corners "Believers Conditional Security", which is not so much written on a theological level, but study in the scriptures themselves.

Not written on a scholarly level as Shanks, but very refreshing to read. The author is just an ordinary guy, a layman who knows the scriptures very, very well.

Posts 23
Tomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2013 7:52 AM

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes 

Also, here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/71535.aspx

PLEASE!

Logos 7.x/6.x/5.x/4.x | 2 Peter 1:3-11

Posts 23
Tomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2013 5:56 AM

Still, no Robert Shank's Elect in the Son or Life in the Son? It would be nice to have these. I have them on Kindle, and in paperback. I'd love them in my Logos Library. Searchable, indexed, etc.

Posts 147
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 26 2013 8:39 AM

Yes Two of my favorites!

Posts 14
Richard Mast | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2014 12:53 AM
I agree. Please make these two books available and fully integrated!
Posts 4
Paul J. Neel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 10:05 AM

Yes! Logos needs to add these 2 books!

Posts 247
Gary Osborne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 3:27 PM

These are two of the most important books Logos still doesn't have available.  And I'm not overstating that - for me.  These are critical, scholarly works that really should be acquired and added to the Logos family of resources.

Posts 451
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 10 2014 7:04 PM

Shank advocates a "corporate election" correct?

Posts 47
Cale Judd | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 4:32 PM

I too would like to see Faithlife make these volumes available in the Logos format. 

Posts 2
Rick Bauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2017 10:44 AM

I knew Dr. Shank, and have been blessed by his writings, He passed away in 2006. His books are available in The Internet Archive, but the format is not machine readable. 

Deacon Rick Bauer

Posts 23
Tomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2018 2:55 AM

HEY LOGOS: Please make these two books available and fully integrated.  I asked this YEARS ago.  At least reply and tell us why this is not happening... 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS