Kindle Fire rapid battery drain

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8469
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 4:19 AM

Jack Caviness:

Kevin Byford:
At this point turning wifi off will probably increase battery life because it will prevent all sync operations from occurring.

And every other internet function on the Kindle Fire. Not a big problem here since she only uses internet when she downloads a new book from Amazon or Vyrso.

Received an explanation today from Mike Bryant of Logos Support:

Mike Bryant:
Thank you for contacting us. I apologize for any inconvenience. The Logos apps sync regularly with your account on the server. I assume this may be the cause of the difficulty. Is she sharing your account? If she is using such a small selection of resources, it may be preferrable to create her own account which wouldn’t need to sync all of your extra books and data.

In my reply I noted that the desktop app has a setting to work offline

She just returned from a trip to report tat the rapid battery drain continues when using Logos, even with Wi-Fi turned off. At this point she says that when she finishes using the books I gave her, she will never use Logos again.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 7:20 AM

Jack Caviness:

Sir Maru:
Down sweep to main Menu / More / Location-based Services: Enable Location Based Service: OFF.

Do not see "Location-based Services" in the "More" menu items.

I am using Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb with Firmware 7.4.3.  The More Menu items are: 1. Applications; 2. Parental Controls; 3. Sounds & Display; 4. Wireless; 5. Device; 6. Accessibility; 7. Location-based Services; 8. Language & Keyboard; 9. Security; 10. Legal & Compliance.

Syncing with the Logos server uses NO additional battery usage per the GSam Monitor which measures all apps and modules including Logos. My Bible (Logos) application uses 0.1% of my battery usage WITH SYNCING all the time. My main battery energy uses are:

1. Held awake: 27.1%

2. WiFi active: 24.3%

3. Screen: 18.1%

4. Kernal Android: 12.7%

5. Amazon Device Messaging: 7.6%

6. QVC: 3.9%

7. System: 2.2%

8. System (wakelock): 0.9%

9. Grace Remote: 0.8%

10. Amazon Kindle: 0.4 %

11. GSam Battery Monitor (Kindle Tablet Edition): 0.4%

12. The Weather Channel: 0.4%

13. Zillow: 0.3%

14. Bible (Logos): 0.1%

Plus another 6 apps at 0.1% each and another 21 apps at 0.0%.

Amazingly, the AcroBible app, which I use far more than Bible (Logos), uses 0.0% of energy since it never syncs with its servers unless I change one of my own notes and manually sync it with their servers.  However, their resources are limited and they never introduce new resources as Logos does.  Logos seems to base their business plan on selling new resources on a regular basis and probably needs Location Based Services active for some marketing reasons.  AcroBible must have a different business plan and never uses Location Based Services.

Actually, Logos Bible is the only app I have which uses Location Based Service.  Not one of all my other apps needs to use it including Amazon, itself.

One could operate Logos Bible with Location Based services always turned off and once in awhile turn it on if one is looking to buy new resources. Then turn it off again for normal operations to conserve battery energy.  If one leaves it off all the time, Logos will always give one a chance to turn it on when starting Logos.  To turn it off again, one most go to the More Menu.

If Logos ever offers a specifically Android Logos 5 app, I would buy it for my Kindle Fire HD.  Then, once per month, I would open Location Based Services to keep it up to date.  In the meantime I operate Logos Bible with Location Based Services turned off all the time.

Finally, Com.nokia.odnp.service module which is activated when using Location Bases Services usually uses no power.  However, when it gets active, it can use 49% of battery energy in a single day totally wiping out the battery.  That problem may be a bug which Amazon may address in some future firmware upgrade.

Posts 8469
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 2:54 PM

Sir Maru:
I am using Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb with Firmware 7.4.3.  The More Menu items are: 1. Applications; 2. Parental Controls; 3. Sounds & Display; 4. Wireless; 5. Device; 6. Accessibility; 7. Location-based Services; 8. Language & Keyboard; 9. Security; 10. Legal & Compliance.

Her Kindle Fire is not HD. Can't access her device at the moment, but there were less choices under the More menu.

She told me this morning that the battery drain did not begin until after I downloaded 7 Vryso books to her Kindle Fire. Prior to that she just had NKJV and ESV Study Bible, and battery life was good even with Wi-Fi enabled.

Posts 1731
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 3:43 PM

Jack Caviness:
Her Kindle Fire is not HD. Can't access her device at the moment, but there were less choices under the More menu.

Original Kindle Fire devices do not support GPS, so this makes sense.

Jack Caviness:
She told me this morning that the battery drain did not begin until after I downloaded 7 Vryso books to her Kindle Fire. Prior to that she just had NKJV and ESV Study Bible, and battery life was good even with Wi-Fi enabled.

Very strange, because downloaded books simply take up space on the device and should have no effect on battery life.

Posts 1731
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 3:52 PM

Sir Maru:
One could operate Logos Bible with Location Based services always turned off and once in awhile turn it on if one is looking to buy new resources.

Sir Maru,

Just so you know, location based services are not required to purchase new Logos resources or to keep the Logos app up to date.  They are used mainly to help find nearby Faithlife groups and Proclaim presentations.

Posts 8469
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 2:48 AM

Kevin Byford:

Jack Caviness:

Very strange, because downloaded books simply take up space on the device and should have no effect on battery life.

Since I am Kindle challenged, she plans to return to Radio Shack, where she purchased it, and have them check it out.

Posts 1634
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 5:30 AM

Jack,

I have had my Kindle for about 18 months.

I fully charged my Kindle yesterday evening and since then I have used Logos for about 2-3 hours and about another hour total for watching a video through Amazon Prime and my daughter playing some games on it.  I have 53% of my battery left.  The wifi has been on the entire time.

I wish I could give you some ideas that would be helpful. 

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 6:45 AM

Then the solution is to keep Location Based Services off all the time unless one specifically wants to access a Faithlife group or use a Proclaim presentation.  After those uses are completed, turn Location Bases Services off again.  Probably within 6 months a future Amazon firmware upgrade will probably clear the issue.  Maybe you should report it to Amazon Tech Support for inclusion in their future upgrades and request they report back to you when the problem has been addressed.  Then you could announce the fix here.

Posts 1731
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 1:11 PM

Sir Maru:
Then the solution is to keep Location Based Services off all the time unless one specifically wants to access a Faithlife group or use a Proclaim presentation. 

I don't believe the Kindle Fire we're talking about has Location Based Services (Jack - can you clarify?).  Original Kindle Fire devices do not support GPS.

Posts 8469
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 3:46 PM

Kevin Byford:

Sir Maru:
Then the solution is to keep Location Based Services off all the time unless one specifically wants to access a Faithlife group or use a Proclaim presentation. 

I don't believe the Kindle Fire we're talking about has Location Based Services (Jack - can you clarify?).  Original Kindle Fire devices do not support GPS.

It is an original Kindle Fire, and it does not have Location Based Services. Believe she plans to take it back to the dealer for analysis. No matter what, she is very sour on Logos right now. Perhaps, she will change her mind if we find a different cause.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 9:39 AM

Jack Caviness:

Kevin Byford:

Sir Maru:

It is an original Kindle Fire, and it does not have Location Based Services. Believe she plans to take it back to the dealer for analysis. No matter what, she is very sour on Logos right now. Perhaps, she will change her mind if we find a different cause.

Maybe the original Kindle Fire does have Location Services but its firmware does not give one the option to turn it off.  Then just Logos, itself, will drain the battery.

To find out, you will have to install GSam Battery Monitor and see exactly what app is using your battery energy.  It could be a different app and not Logos at all. If it shows that Com.nokia.odnp.service is using the energy, then Location Service is active and you cannot shut it down.  You can install GSam from here:

http://www.amazon.com/GSam-Battery-Monitor-Kindle-Edition/dp/B006TH5I28/ref=sr_1_2?s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1371832763&sr=1-2&keywords=gsam+battery+monitor+kindle+fire+edition

If an other app is draining the energy, shut it down when you exit it.  It may keep running in the background if you don't manually shut it down.  I notice on my Kindle Fire HD "The Weather Channel" app does run in the background and drains energy unless one exits from its own menu.  Just jumping to another app lets it drain energy in perpetuity.

Posts 8469
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 12:39 PM

Sir Maru:
To find out, you will have to install GSam Battery Monitor and see exactly what app is using your battery energy.  It could be a different app and not Logos at all. If it shows that Com.nokia.odnp.service is using the energy, then Location Service is active and you cannot shut it down.  You can install GSam from here:

Had that app installed previously. Android OS used 99% of the battery power. Average battery life was 8 hr 8 min. Perhaps she has a different definition of "rapid" than someone else might have Big Smile

What kind of average should we expect from the battery?

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 21 2013 5:47 PM

If Android OS is using 99% of battery power, something is wrong.  See my post up above for my app usage.  There should be lots of apps using power unless nothing is installed.  My last cycles got 8 hours to 12 hours active time.  Thus, your battery life seems the same as mine.  I don't see anything wrong there.  The main screen of GSam should show Active Time, Screen time and percent of usage, WiFi active time and percent, held awake time and percent, Bluetooth time and percent and app usage time and percent.  Tap the app usage time and all your apps should show there with percent of battery usage.  There should be lots of them shown.

If App Usage shows over 50% and almost all is in one app, then that is the problem.  If you don't need that app, uninstall it or shut it down after using it.  If Logos turns out to be the culprit, just shut it down after every use manually (not just exiting).

Posts 13
Gunnar Bruhn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 9:29 AM

Ny kindle fire hdx worked fine the first week.

Then suddenly The batterylife went from 10 to 3 hours.

The cause was this:

Android scans the files on The device.

IF there is one or more corrupted or zero sized files, the 'mediascanner' get stuck and keeps the device working overtime, also when asleep.

Sam battery monitor can tell if the media system is the major battery killer.

If that is the case, use a filemanager like Total Commander to look for files that are 0 kb.

I found one in Android/data/ logos~something.

Delete the file, and problem solved.

Why Android and/or Amazon have known of this in at least 2 years without finding a solution is one of the mysteries in the World.

Posts 13
Gunnar Bruhn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 28 2014 7:28 AM

As time goes by ... there's always something to learnHuh?

I've tested the logos-installation with 6 books installed for offline use, and 1000 books for offline use.

But I have only counted the files on the tablet with 6 books installed. The count is: 1049 files ! in the logos-directory.

That gives approx. 174,000 files when I install 1000 books for offline use.

This is a problem with Android, as the Mediascanner has to go through that file structure to register changes.

That lot of files will make the Mediascanner work day and night, and result in battery-drain.

Solution: Do not download many books.

BTW: My other post about corrupted files and zero sized files is still correct.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS