Requesting user feedback: Send to Kindle feature

Page 13 of 24 (471 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »
This post has 470 Replies | 19 Followers

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2013 4:28 AM

alabama24:

Bruce Dunning:
Theoretically, if Logos decided to incorporate a "Send to Kindle" feature how long would it take before it was available?

No idea… but beta testers would know first. Wink

One thing that hasn't been mentioned… Logos may need to get publisher permission first, and they generally don't ever talk about those sort of things. 

I too was thinking that both of those would be part of the process (beta-testing and publisher permission).

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2013 5:13 AM

alabama24:
Logos may need to get publisher permission first

I would be fairly confident that the 'new' publisher agreements that include iPhone/Android use are sufficiently broad to cover Kindle use as well.

Posts 27436
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2013 6:55 AM

Mark Barnes:
I would be fairly confident that the 'new' publisher agreements that include iPhone/Android use are sufficiently broad to cover Kindle use as well.

I'm not confident one way or the other. I know that some resources are mobile enabled, but not biblia.com enabled. I don't think the publishers want to give away any more than they have to. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5
Keith Sanborn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 17 2013 1:20 PM

Would love to read Logos books on my Kindle Paperwhite!

Posts 6
Rod Groom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 5:54 PM

Yes, I would. I could still highlight in the Kindle app and have reference to them that way.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 6:02 PM

It would be a tremendous benefit if the highlights made on the Kindle could be transferred back into the Logos resource. 

Posts 27436
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 6:50 PM

123941:
It would be a tremendous benefit if the highlights made on the Kindle could be transferred back into the Logos resource.

It really isn't possible and it won't happen. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 4:57 AM

alabama24:
It really isn't possible and it won't happen. 
It probably won't happen, but it is very possible. When you make a highlight on the kindle it clips the highlighted text and places it in a note file. Logos could give you the option to upload your clippings file from your Kindle and a search could identify all of the text in your clippings file and then highlight them in your Logos resource. 

Posts 27436
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:37 AM

Clippings might work... Which is a good idea... But you could not generate attached "notes" or "highlights" within Logos from the Kindle app. 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:54 AM

alabama24:
Clippings might work

123941 is not referring to Logos' clippings, but the fact that Kindles (except Kindle Fire) store their highlights in a file called MyClippings.txt, It would be theoretically possible for Logos to process that file, and apply that highlighting to the books in Logos. However, that file is specific to each Kindle device, and it doesn't contain highlighting that has been synced from other Kindle devices. But even more importantly, the MyClippings.txt file only records positition numbers, not the actual text highlighted. So it would be almost impossible for Logos to know for sure what part of the Kindle book was actually highlighted (which means I agree with you, alabama24, it wouldn't be possible to sync highlighting back to Logos).

Here's a sample MyClippings.txt file (not mine): http://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=97944&d=1355946838

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:54 AM

alabama24:
Clippings might work
It could be done if Logos built it into the interface. 

alabama24:
Which is a good idea
Thanks

This is Kevin Maples BTW, I'm working to regain my Logos identity. Smile

Good to interact with you this morning Alabama24!

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 5:57 AM

Mark Barnes:
Kevin Maples

Mark Barnes:
But even more importantly, the MyClippings.txt file only records positition numbers, not the actual text highlighted.
I'm not following you here, when I open the file I see the text that was highlighted. 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 6:08 AM

Kevin Maples:
I'm not following you here, when I open the file I see the text that was highlighted. 

My apologies. I was looking at a file that only had bookmarks, not highlights. That obviously makes it much easier. It would still be limited to highlights made on that one device, though.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 6:15 AM

Mark Barnes:
It would still be limited to highlights made on that one device, though.
We are only talking about one device. If you were using the Kindle Fire or other tablet, you would use the Logos App and thus highlighting would already be made in your Logos resource. The send to Kindle feature is only for the e-ink Kindle.  

Posts 686
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 7:01 AM

I don't see it happening either, and I don't care one way or the other anyway. I just want this feature!

One thing that has not been mentioned: If getting highlights to sync involved even the slightest bit of cooperation from Amazon, it will never happen for sure. It seems like it would take that if it were to be automatic. Now if Logos gave us a way to manually do it, then maybe.

But again, I don't care. I just want that "Send To Kindle" feature, as soon as possible. Surely Logos is working on it; they asked about it and now we are on 13 pages of responses.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 7:52 AM

If there is a "send to kindle" feature and you take a highlight in a book you send to the kindle, will the highlight show up here:  https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights?

I assume it won't since personal documents don't show there, but maybe I am wrong.  I know there are talks of syncing personal doc highlights in the cloud, but it isn't there yet.  

If the highlights do show, then that would be great because I already utilize that sight and am hoping that amazon continues to make it better.

Posts 27436
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 8:00 AM

Jason rust:
If there is a "send to kindle" feature and you take a highlight in a book you send to the kindle, will the highlight show up here:

I'm not sure if I understand your question… but Notes & Highlights taken in Logos would stay in Logos. Notes & Highlights taken on the Kindle would stay in Kindle. 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 8:12 AM

Jason rust:
If there is a "send to kindle" feature and you take a highlight in a book you send to the kindle, will the highlight show up here:  https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights?
I am assuming that Logos is looking to create a feature where we can export a Logos book into a text file to be sent to our Kindle. If this is the case, then the question is: do highlights in personal documents on the Kindle go to "your highlights" or only books purchased through Amazon. I suppose you could test this with any text file you loaded onto your Kindle. 

Posts 60
Rustamania | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2013 9:11 AM

123941:
If this is the case, then the question is: do highlights in personal documents on the Kindle go to "your highlights" or only books purchased through Amazon. I suppose you could test this with any text file you loaded onto your Kindle. 

That is what I was asking.  I am 99% sure that personal docs don't go to "your highlights".  There's a lot of discussion about it happening, but so nothing so far.  

Posts 1
Alex Watt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 4:17 PM

This would be a great! Please go for it.

Page 13 of 24 (471 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last » | RSS