Requesting user feedback: Send to Kindle feature

Page 3 of 24 (471 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 470 Replies | 19 Followers

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 3:40 AM

Mark Barnes:

• Use Calibre to convert to HTMLz.
  • Rename the file to .zip, and extract the contents.
  • Use Word to convert from .html to .docx
  • Create PB in Logos.

My workflow is different… I wonder why?

1. Use Calibre to convert to .rtf format.
  2. Open the .rtf format document in Word.
  3. Edit the document as desired and save as .docx.
  4. Create PB in Logos.

Is there a reason you use HTMLz?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 3:43 AM

Mark Barnes:
By the time they've done it, you'll be on your next Android tablet and you won't need the speed increase.

Mark, what you mean by that? Is new Android going to use full version of Logos? 

Bohuslav

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 3:57 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Is new Android going to use full version of Logos? 

No.

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Mark, what you mean by that?

I <think> he means that by the time Logos were to spend time optimizing the Android app for older hardware, the newer hardware would make the optimization irrelevant. 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:02 AM

I'm starting to think that people don't realize that an extra internet connection actually costs extra! And, no I don't have internet, I sometimes get to borrow my brother's USB modem GSM broadband. But I can't afford even one internet myself

What kind of internet that an Android tablet require?:

alabama24:

1. An internet connect isn't required to read Kindle books… except perhaps to download the resource in the first place, but I'm fairly certain most of us have an internet connection for that. Wink

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:03 AM

alabama24:
Is there a reason you use HTMLz?

Try it and see. I find the conversion is much more faithful to the original (eBook formats are all based on HTML). For example, you'll often get styles in a HTML conversion, which you won't get in RTF. Often, with a few clicks you can edit those styles, and change the 'level' of the style, and therefore get a table of contents. You do sometimes get problems with images (Logos gives you warnings), but that's usually pretty easy to fix just be searching for the images in Word (search for ^g), right-click, choose "Change Picture", and re-select the image with the warning.

The screenshot below shows an RTF source on the left, and a very lightly modified HTMLz source on the right:

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:04 AM

alabama24:

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Is new Android going to use full version of Logos? 

No.

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Mark, what you mean by that?

I <think> he means that by the time Logos were to spend time optimizing the Android app for older hardware, the newer hardware would make the optimization irrelevant. 

Makes sense. Thanks.

Bohuslav

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:05 AM

Mark Barnes:
Try it and see.

Deal. Smile

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:05 AM

Unix:
But I can't afford even one internet myself

You're using the internet. Right now. Downloading a Kindle book will require little internet as reading this thread and posting that message.

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:07 AM

Unix:
I'm starting to think that people don't realize that an extra internet connection actually costs extra!

Why do you need an "extra" internet connection? Do you not have an internet connection for your computer? Are there not cafe's with free wifi where you live?

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:17 AM

This would be a nice feature and I am sure of value to some, but it would not be that valuable to me. I can print to pdf and read something that way on my iPad etc. as easily as using the Kindle reader. It seems most of my friends can handle pdf as well.

That said, I think the bigger question is, are there other features more important to me than this feature, and that is a more emphatic yes. I think we do ourselves a disservice by just saying yes/no on this one feature, as opposed to being offered a choice of whether we would like feature A or B. Everything is a tradeoff, especially development resources.

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:27 AM

Don Awalt:
I can print to pdf and read something that way on my iPad etc. as easily as using the Kindle reader. It seems most of my friends can handle pdf as well.

I think you have missed the point. This isn't for iOS or Andrioid users… this is for e-ink Kindle readers. Printing to PDF isn't an option.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:30 AM

Mark Barnes:
eBook formats are all based on HTML

Let me correct myself. Modern eBook formats are based on HTML (certainly AZW and ePub). Older Kindle books are based on MOBI, and this doesn't covert so well to HTML - but it's still better than RTF in my opinion.

Posts 423
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 4:58 AM

Yup! I could go for that as well! Yes

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 5:05 AM

alabama24:
I think you have missed the point. This isn't for iOS or Android users… this is for e-ink Kindle readers. Printing to PDF isn't an option.

Sorry, I guess I was not clear - I realize that, I was stating why this was not a feature useful to me as I do not have a Kindle reader so I can do what I need now. Sorry.

I will reiterate that a more useful question would have been to give us a choice of features to pick from - if development resource is infinite and cost is not a concern, why would we ever say no to a new feature?

Posts 142
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 5:13 AM

I would definitely welcome and use an "export to Kindle feature".  Of course it would be more usable if it allowed highlighting and notes - or just simply highlighting. - but I will take what I can get.

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 5:13 AM

Don Awalt:
I will reiterate that a more useful question would have been to give us a choice of features to pick from

It isn't a good idea to let the users decide… but it is a good idea to get imput. Logos already does this through user voice. 

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 6:00 AM

I'd really appreciate a "Send to Kindle" feature.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 25
Bayard Bastedo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 6:16 AM

I would be interested in this simply to read books; highlights are an unnecessary luxury here. I might even buy more books to read because I don't like to read books on a desktop computer but do like the Kindle Paperwhite.

Bayard Bastedo

Posts 98
Xegesis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 6:52 AM

Mark do you have an easy way like a macro or something to format your converted .docx?  Or do you go chapter by chapter and Highlight with the Heading 2 style?

I usually convert commentaries from Kindle to PB and then I go chapter by chapter Highlighting with Heading 2.  I'm hoping for a faster way.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 7:44 AM

Xegesis:
Or do you go chapter by chapter and Highlight with the Heading 2 style?

You've got two options, depending on the existing formatting.

Sometimes, the headings already all have the same style, so all you need to do is edit that style so that it is set to level 2. To do that, open the styles panel, right click on the correct style and choose Modify. Then click Format and Paragraph, and set the Outline Level to Level 2.

On other occasions, not all the headings are assigned the same style, or they're assigned character styles instead of paragraph styles. This is more likely if the file is in MOBI format. In this case, right-click on one of the headings, click on Styles and choose Select Text with Similar Formatting. Hopefully all the headings will be selected. (At times, some are missed and you have to repeat the process for those headings; at other times lots of other text is also selected, and then you have to abandon the attempt. Sometimes its more accurate if you select the whole line before right-clicking, sometimes it's better just to right-click anywhere on the heading, so if one method doesn't work, try the other one. You can select the whole line with a triple-click.) Now, right click again, and chose Paragraph. Then set the Outline level to Level 2.

After applying the changes, you can see if it's worked by looking at the navigation panel (shown above, on the left).

Page 3 of 24 (471 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS